British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/electrician-way-need-help-524377/)

robdee Mar 25th 2008 6:34 pm

Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

hello one and all, the name is rob and me and my wife julie are on our way out to wellington in a few months(maybe less fingers crossed:thumbsup:) ive had my skills assesed by the ERWB and thay have agreed to give me a provisonal lisence as long as i do the safety tranning and get an employer to sign for me.(only problem is i dont have an employer yet!!!!!!:eek:) i dont have time to do the safety tranning in london so i'll have to do it when i get to welly. can anyone recomend somewhere that i could do this.. any help would be fantastic :thumbup:

rob

lardyl Mar 25th 2008 8:40 pm

Re: Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by robdee (Post 6110037)
hello one and all, the name is rob and me and my wife julie are on our way out to wellington in a few months(maybe less fingers crossed:thumbsup:) ive had my skills assesed by the ERWB and thay have agreed to give me a provisonal lisence as long as i do the safety tranning and get an employer to sign for me.(only problem is i dont have an employer yet!!!!!!:eek:) i dont have time to do the safety tranning in london so i'll have to do it when i get to welly. can anyone recomend somewhere that i could do this.. any help would be fantastic :thumbup:

rob

http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/training.html
and
http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/
will help........to start with.
I know the man that does it in London very well, also I know a couple of the providers in the north of NI (ie Auckland and Northland) don't know anyone who does it in Wellington, but they should all be up to snuff as the industry is regulated pretty tightly here.

Suzbits Mar 26th 2008 9:02 am

Rob

My OH is also an electrician. Do you mind me asking if you have to do any of the practical or theory exams in NZ? Some qualifications make you exempt from the theory exam but how about the practical?. We are waiting on a replacement certificate from C&G and a reference from our NICEIC inspector and then can apply to EWRB. Any advice on what you sent to ERWB would be greatly received. We have looked at the safety course and it is under $100 for the half day course, but my OH is signing up to do it in London with Nick Chandler.

Well done on the licence!

lardyl Mar 27th 2008 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Suzbits (Post 6112809)
...Nick Chandler...

top man Nick, and a good friend/counselor for me :thumbsup:

robdee Mar 27th 2008 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Suzbits (Post 6112809)
Rob

My OH is also an electrician. Do you mind me asking if you have to do any of the practical or theory exams in NZ? Some qualifications make you exempt from the theory exam but how about the practical?. We are waiting on a replacement certificate from C&G and a reference from our NICEIC inspector and then can apply to EWRB. Any advice on what you sent to ERWB would be greatly received. We have looked at the safety course and it is under $100 for the half day course, but my OH is signing up to do it in London with Nick Chandler.

Well done on the licence!

hi suzbits unfortunatly the answer is yes they want me to do the stage 3 of the electricians trainning and sit the regs exam!!. where did you hear about the saftey course i need to get that sorted (especialy for $100) the course in london is £300 big diference if you ask me!!!! also i couldnt get a place on it until july and im looking to be there for then.

robdee Mar 27th 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6116755)
top man Nick, and a good friend/counselor for me :thumbsup:

hi lardyl

thanks for the web links. big help quite a few places in wellington to get the safty course done should'nt have a problem with that now.

lardyl Mar 27th 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by robdee (Post 6119828)
hi lardyl

thanks for the web links. big help quite a few places in wellington to get the safty course done should'nt have a problem with that now.

I do know a good electrical engineer (works for SKM, Consulting Engineers) down there and could ask him who he would use if you like, but he ain't a sparky.......

robdee Mar 27th 2008 7:57 pm

that would be fantastic :thumbsup:could you also ask if he knows any contractors that would be interested takeing me on!

thank again rob

Suzbits Mar 27th 2008 8:30 pm

Rob

I got the details of the course from Christchurch Poly, 1/2 day running one course each month during the academic year. That is definately the cheaper one of the exams that need to be done. My OH is going on the course with Nick in London, as having spoken to someon who attended the last course he spends a lot of time going over bits relating to EWRB, working over in NZ etc, so for us it is worth spending the extra money to 'pick his brain' for the day.

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 10:52 am

Originally Posted by robdee (Post 6120276)
that would be fantastic :thumbsup:could you also ask if he knows any contractors that would be interested takeing me on!

thank again rob

hi mate will give him a call at the end of the week as I have to send him some marketing stuff.....you still interested? :)

robdee Mar 31st 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6136205)
hi mate will give him a call at the end of the week as I have to send him some marketing stuff.....you still interested? :)

yes definitely! i know its a long shot but im just not getting any feedback from any of the companies that i've sent my CV to so far. i dont think anyones interested until you in the country! did you have the same problem?.

once again thanks for your help.

lardyl Mar 31st 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by robdee (Post 6137939)
yes definitely! i know its a long shot but im just not getting any feedback from any of the companies that i've sent my CV to so far. i dont think anyones interested until you in the country! did you have the same problem?.

once again thanks for your help.

ah....not a sparky myself just have to work very closely with many of the trainers on matters electrical......
will try to speak to Steve at the end of the week, last time though he was off to the islands and took 2 weeks to get a decent chat!
But he's a good scouser, still got the banter after 15 years here!! :thumbsup:

robdee Mar 31st 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6138593)
ah....not a sparky myself just have to work very closely with many of the trainers on matters electrical......
will try to speak to Steve at the end of the week, last time though he was off to the islands and took 2 weeks to get a decent chat!
But he's a good scouser, still got the banter after 15 years here!! :thumbsup:

all good! thanks for helping let me know how it goes:thumbsup: