British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Electrician trying to get registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/electrician-trying-get-registration-420907/)

mojos Jan 22nd 2007 7:36 pm

Electrician trying to get registration

We've been living out here for just over a year now. My hubby teaches electricians at the local poly (more or less same job he did in the UK for 15 years). He doesn't have electrical registration but they employed him and told him that he would need to apply for it.

He has sat and passed the Regs exam and carried out the practical course. He now has to show evidence of work as an electrician in the UK

That is the catch :curse: He served his apprenticeship as an electrician at the Royal Mail and then worked there for 5 years (8 years in total '82 to '90). He was told by the Electrical registration people that the hours worked at the Royal Mail were sufficient to obtain registration. He just had to get his former boss to sign the evidence. The hours worked as a lecturer don't count :frown: .

We can't believe how much trouble we're having. We've contacted the Royal Mail. They only have records of staff working there up to 1999. He's rang I don't know how many departments, sent emails, written letters. Still nothing that we want to hear. Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Ideally working at the Royal Mail. Can't believe that a huge organisation like that would completely wipe all records of people working there after a few years. We've been watching that celebrity ancestor programme. They can get working records from 200 years ago:blink: !

Can anyone enlighten us please? If it can be sorted somehow it'll save him from working 2000 hours on work experience as well as his teaching job.

Cheers Jo

P2L Jan 22nd 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Electrician trying to get registration

Originally Posted by mojos (Post 4313404)
We've been living out here for just over a year now. My hubby teaches electricians at the local poly (more or less same job he did in the UK for 15 years). He doesn't have electrical registration but they employed him and told him that he would need to apply for it.

He has sat and passed the Regs exam and carried out the practical course. He now has to show evidence of work as an electrician in the UK

That is the catch :curse: He served his apprenticeship as an electrician at the Royal Mail and then worked there for 5 years (8 years in total '82 to '90). He was told by the Electrical registration people that the hours worked at the Royal Mail were sufficient to obtain registration. He just had to get his former boss to sign the evidence. The hours worked as a lecturer don't count :frown: .

We can't believe how much trouble we're having. We've contacted the Royal Mail. They only have records of staff working there up to 1999. He's rang I don't know how many departments, sent emails, written letters. Still nothing that we want to hear. Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Ideally working at the Royal Mail. Can't believe that a huge organisation like that would completely wipe all records of people working there after a few years. We've been watching that celebrity ancestor programme. They can get working records from 200 years ago:blink: !

Can anyone enlighten us please? If it can be sorted somehow it'll save him from working 2000 hours on work experience as well as his teaching job.

Cheers Jo

Hi Jo

Will they accept evidence of his employment such as payslips, job decription, Did you prove any of the above for immigration?

Or can you find anybody who may be able to provide a reference for him, such as employer (line manager) or college that he attended

I know it's so frustrating!!!!:mad: You don't realise when you're happily shreddng everything ( like they all tell you to these days) that the job offer that you had 10/12 years ago, means so much!!!

mojos Jan 22nd 2007 8:40 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Yep we've thrown all that stuff away. Why would anybody want to keep payslips over 20 years old :mad: ! Still can't believe that a massive organisation would destroy all records of past employees. Heard it from lots of current staff though (the phone bill is going to be high this month) so doesn't even seem like it's someone who doesn't want to help out.

There's a lesson to be learned here me thinks :frown:

Jo

P2L Jan 22nd 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mojos (Post 4313648)
Thanks for the ideas. Yep we've thrown all that stuff away. Why would anybody want to keep payslips over 20 years old :mad: ! Still can't believe that a massive organisation would destroy all records of past employees. Heard it from lots of current staff though (the phone bill is going to be high this month) so doesn't even seem like it's someone who doesn't want to help out.

There's a lesson to be learned here me thinks :frown:

Jo

Can you trace it through Inland Revenue? There's a posting just before Xmas (I think by DannyF) explaining how to apply to them to show your paye history

mojos Jan 22nd 2007 10:12 pm

good idea re Inland Revenue. I'll follow that one up for sure. Thanks

mojos Jan 23rd 2007 8:55 am

Bump......:p Jo