British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Electrician Practical Query - All stages need to be done? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/electrician-practical-query-all-stages-need-done-770796/)

HeatherGirl Sep 6th 2012 10:00 pm

Electrician Practical Query - All stages need to be done?

Hello folks

Can any sparkies help me with a quick question?

To get licenced will my OH have to do stage 1, 2 and 3 practical exams? For some reason (I thought I read it somewhere but can't remember where) we thought he would only have to do stage 3 and was exempt from the first two stages.. (I could've dreamt this or wishful thinking).

The trainers say they could condense all stages into a week's course, but all three stages are going to cost us a fortune!!! Not to mention having to take unpaid leave and accommodation in Rototua or Wellington.

Thanks,
HeatherGirl

mwhite1962 Sep 7th 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Electrician Practical Query - All stages need to be done?

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl (Post 10267790)
Hello folks

Can any sparkies help me with a quick question?

To get licenced will my OH have to do stage 1, 2 and 3 practical exams? For some reason (I thought I read it somewhere but can't remember where) we thought he would only have to do stage 3 and was exempt from the first two stages.. (I could've dreamt this or wishful thinking).

The trainers say they could condense all stages into a week's course, but all three stages are going to cost us a fortune!!! Not to mention having to take unpaid leave and accommodation in Rototua or Wellington.

Thanks,
HeatherGirl

Hi ,
Depending on his experience he may not have to do all 3 stages, he will need to prove 4 years experience in the form of a letter stating what sort of installations he has completed etc, i can forward the letter i used if any good? I have been a sparkie for 25 years and still had to do a 2 week course, 1 week theory and 1 week pratical, he will also need nz first aid and electrical site safe, which i did at ETCO (training center) one night . Courses run in June and November cannot remember how much but you can get this from ETCO's . Drop me a PM if you want the letter or can help with anything else.

Mick

sparkie down under Sep 7th 2012 9:57 pm

pm me

HeatherGirl Sep 8th 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks Mick, you're a star.

He has 16 years experience - now that I know that, I'll get on the case. I assume we could use the same letter as you kindly sent me before for the EWRB limited licence?

HeatherGirl

gselango Oct 10th 2012 12:47 pm

Hi HeatherGirl,

This is Elango. New to this group. Hope you settled well in NZ.I read all your threads (from "SMC Job Search Visa Anxiety! " to "Electrician Practical Query - All stages need to be done? ") :-)
i like your tread "Where there's a will... "

Today i posted my first thread "Looking job in Software Testing".
If you know any openings in Software testing or Microbiologist Kindly let me know.

Hope i will also create a thread like "Where there's a will... "

Thanks,
Elango.S

HeatherGirl Oct 10th 2012 7:28 pm

Hello Elango S, and welcome to BE! :)

This site is a useful resource, as well as somewhere you can find emotional support on the immigration journey, which is not an easy one!

Have you had a look at the NZ Immigration site and had a look at visa options? That would be your first step and check if your occupation is on the Skills Shortage List. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

The best sites I know of for job searching are www.trademe.co.nz/ and www.seek.co.nz/

Perhaps someone who has more knowledge of software testing or microbiology will come along and give some more specific information on your chances of securing a visa and job in those areas. My "Where there's a will" post was to encourage others in a similar position and ploughing away, sending out CVs to dozens of companies, and getting no response, to not give up. But having said that, it does of course help if your skills are in demand. In the meantime, good luck!:fingerscrossed:

HeatherGirl