Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

electrician in nz??

electrician in nz??

Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician in nz??

Bishman have a lot of work on, downer, Caldwell & levesque, Cablenet few others depends on what type of work you're after, tbh there are heaps of jobs floating around at the moment in Auckland, I've heard tell that the major contracts in ChCh are not going to kick off for about 18 months. Drop me a line if you need any more help, download the test papers from the Ewrb website to get an idea of the test papers.
Hope that helps
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

I'm maybe repeating myself here from other posts, but I went through the accreddited company list on the NZ immi website and just emailed all that sounded remotely "electriciany". That of course is the technical term for it.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:30 am
Just Joined

princey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catkins110
my husband runs his own electrical contracting company in the uk... although the stresses of work and life are getting too much and we want a change!
he is NICEIC registered and has his 2391 and city and guilds qualifications... does anyone know what we have to do to enable him to work in nz? and what the work opportunities in new zealand are like?
Hi

I like many have been through the process of gaining my NZ Electrician licence only 2 years ago. I did the course at NZ house in London with Chandler consulting, it cost me £300 for a 1 Day course, it was helpful doing the H&S course but i would not bother as you can do it when you enrol for the Electrical course and exam in NZ , it's the same course which is included in the fees you pay when you enrol at college in NZ anyway... so i ended up doing the same course twice, once in London and once in NZ, save your money!

You will be classed as a foreign student so its double the price for a NZ resident, there are other training options which are cheaper than College.
To do the course in NZ you will have to apply to the EWRB with original or signed copies all your electrical qualifications and references from previous employers of the type of electrical work you have done, the EWRB will then notify you of which electrical course and exams you will need to take, most likely it will just be Regs and practical level 3.

Some companies will employ UK Electricians working on a provisional licence whilst working towards full registration. Employment agencies can be fussy though and would mean less pay. I live in Christchurch and there are opportunities here due to the recent earthquakes for sparkies.

I have copies of my letters etc to the EWRB and lots of other info if you need any more help etc..

Good luck

Keith
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Nicer post Princey.