Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

electrician in nz??

electrician in nz??

Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

catkins110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician in nz??

my husband runs his own electrical contracting company in the uk... although the stresses of work and life are getting too much and we want a change!
he is NICEIC registered and has his 2391 and city and guilds qualifications... does anyone know what we have to do to enable him to work in nz? and what the work opportunities in new zealand are like?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:16 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician in nz??

don't know to much about it but from reading other posts he would need to get NZ Registered.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...es.htm?level=1

http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/

http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/overseas.html

I'm sure someone will come along soon to advise better but worth having a look at the links and also looking at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ and look through it for the best visa's and process for you
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Ewrb website, you will need to send details of work quals etc to them.
Once you come over you'll get a limited licence, have to do the regs & stage 3 practical, pass those & get your licence. The regs is only done twice a year, next one is in November, have a look on the Ewrb website under examinations, you will be able to download past papers etc for the exam.
Does not matter what quals you had in uk, 2391 qualified supervisor means nothing here, you will be starting from scratch, I mean scratch so you have to suck it up big time.
They still hand build 3 phase distribution boards here, switchboards. No lock offs on them etc, if you've got plc scada experience that counts, but you will be starting from rock bottom.
E mail some companies see what's what, where you thinking of going??
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: electrician in nz??

Welcome!
We did the same as you! It took 18 months for the EWRB to recognise my OH as an electrician.

Our story.... OH was self employed electrician in the UK running own business and doing a successful job too!

You need to give them employer references from all electrical works. If you can't as you have always been self employed you need to have great patience...
You need to get a statutory declaration signed by your accountant/solicitor to say that you have been trading successfully as said electrician.

It is a long and rocky road, you need to be pretty determined to get here. We had a few moments when we were just banging our heads against brick wall after brick wall! Sad thing is OH is a good electrician and ran our business really well which should have spoke for itself... As I didn't need to go out to work!
Hope this helps a little? No doubt there will be others on to help you as well!

Good luck and if you need anymore info just PM me?

Cheers
Anna
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

wow thanks for the info guys... ive been told he'll have to start again which doesnt seem to bother him.... my worry is that there is work out there... our friends are moving to Auckland fairly soon and we were hoping to join them...
i dont work at the moment either so it scares me a bit! lol x thanks for the response x
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi there

My OH is an electrician and he secured a job offer from the UK, following a skype interview. After reading quite alot of negative media about job prospects we were surprised to get quite a bit of interest following his applications. We only got one interview but we did get a couple of "come and see us when you get here" s.

We're going to Taranaki and from what I hear there is quite alot of work around in New Plymouth.

Good luck

HeatherGirl
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Hi there

My OH is an electrician and he secured a job offer from the UK, following a skype interview. After reading quite alot of negative media about job prospects we were surprised to get quite a bit of interest following his applications. We only got one interview but we did get a couple of "come and see us when you get here" s.

We're going to Taranaki and from what I hear there is quite alot of work around in New Plymouth.

Good luck

HeatherGirl
i think he'll have to get researching some companies!... did you do the paper work yourselves? x
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi again

Yes we did it ourselves (or more to the point I did)!

I wouldn't pay an agent unless you think you have any complexities in your application. You still have to rake around for all the info yourself at the end of the day!

HeatherGirl
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

No shouldn't be any problems!... I just noticed yours seemed really quick lol.... I will have to do it all I imagine too! X thanks x
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

After reading quite alot of negative media about job prospects we were surprised to get quite a bit of interest following his applications
Electricians are in shortage here Heather girl and so are on the long term shortage listy. It makes a big difference
Old Aug 6th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Stacks of work over here, honest, don't be put off by the negatives.also the people here will help you along 110%, have done for me, love the place, can't fault anything, so glad I came.
:0)
Old Aug 6th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Of course Bevs you are right as usual

To clarify - I posted in April on the subject and got the impression I would be unlikely to get a job offer from the UK, and that, along with what I had read in the media had made me think a job offer without being in NZ was unlikely, so I just wanted to encourage others that it is possible.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

I'm really grateful for all your help... I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed with it all!... Like I said my main worry was hubby and work...is there anyway he can get biz NZ licence b4 we come?.. I've sent off the forms today to get our police checks.. No harm in being organised I figure!... I haven't even done an application for EOI yet! But I want to be prepared for when we do! I have 3 children under 5 and we just want a better life for them!.. At the moment none of see much of hubby/daddy! So fingers crossed it will work out x
Thank you again x x
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:56 pm
`

Originally Posted by catkins110
s there anyway he can get biz NZ licence b4 we come?
No. He can gain the limited working license once he has done the H&S course. After than he will need to work towards the EWRB registration exams and test of workmanship.

It used to be that you could take the H&S up at London NZ house at certain times of the year. I don't know if that still happens. Nick Chandler of Lord Consulting used to run them

Please click THIS LINK and have a read. I'm sure the actual sparkies will be able to give you much more up to date and reliable details on this.

Not sure either if there is something further in order to become self-employed. In the plumbing trade there are two further exams, one being a business exam . The other a trade exam.

My husband had to go through similar as a plumber/gasfitter.
Trades men start again on the bottom rung once their UK qualifications are assessed as being similar to those of New Zealand. You may be a time served career tradesperson in the UK who has run his own business but you will still be unlicensed here until you sit the NZ exams and practical tests.

Originally Posted by [B
peliqueria[/B]] Go to the Ewrb website, you will need to send details of work quals etc to them.

Once you come over you'll get a limited licence,
have to do the regs & stage 3 practical,
pass those & get your licence.
The regs is only done twice a year,
next one is in November,
have a look on the Ewrb website under examinations, you will be able to download past papers etc for the exam.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl
Of course Bevs you are right as usual
Just call me 'Insufferable' .

Any thoughts on companies the OP could try?

Maybe an accredited employer or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.