Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

princey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Try www.workingin-newzealand.com to look at the jobs advertised for migrant.This website also has job expo's in the uk.

Cheers

Keith
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

scottywelsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Keith, how are you ? I'm currently in the same position and have applied for my qualifications to be assess but now need to send in conclusive references from my Uk employer who has just stated to me that he is happy to do it but needs some sort of idea of the detail required and how it is to be laided out for them.
Would it be possible to send me through a copy of your reference for some idea please ?

Thanks Scott

Originally Posted by princey
Hi

I reckon He could start working without current NZ registration, I did and I know most of the Electricians I know in Christchurch have too. You are supposed to work on a limited practising licence while you obtain your full licence but like Conor stated it depends on the employer or agency. Like I said it has become less important since the rebuild after the quakes, most firms are so busy they don't care as they need the extra staff.

I sent my certified signed colour copies ( signed by a Solicitor for 100 pounds)of my City & Guilds certificates to the EWRB and I had a reply within 4 weeks stating I had to complete the NZ regulations and Level 3 practical exam which are either in June and November at Christchurch Polytechnic. It will cost more as you are classed as a foreign student if you don't have current residency. You can apply for the course or other less expensive courses once you are in NZ. You have to buy Regs books etc, happy to lend you mine.

Be careful of using migration agencies, I did not bother, you may get tied in to working for an employment agency to fulfil your visa requirements, bit of a con I think as the can hold you to ransom and own you as such.At this present time it seems a lot easier for sparkies to get work visa's for christchurch, try the skilled migrant visa, He should qualify with around 140 points or so.

I can email you copies of my work references and letter to EWRB so you know how to do it as you need conclusive references. PM me if I can help
further.

I know it seems like an uphill battle right now but it is not too bad once you get here, that's just my opinion having been down the same road 3 years ago.

I can recommend electrical firms in Christchurch I would say try otherwise agencies.

Good luck

Keith
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Princey if possible would you be able to send me the same forms ?

My email address < snipped>

I have had all my qualifications assessed and thats all good just require a layout for the references as my employer has no idea what the board is exactly after

Thanks scott

Hi

I would bring all your tools including padsaw, stanley knife, battery drills etc adjustable spanners, tape measure, testers too .It is worth giving them a good clean, I cleaned mine using oil and WD40, give them the once over and make sure they are in a clean toolbag, I bought a new toolbag and basic tools like screwdrivers from Screwfix and I sent mine over by ship in a container with the rest of my belonging, took around 8 weeks.You will probably end up buying square drive screwdriver here in NZ, stuff is cheaper in the UK too.

Cheers

Keith

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 3rd 2013 at 9:19 pm. Reason: Not a good idea to put up personal email on an open forum where spambots and nasties may lurk. Use the BE email oor PM facili
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:15 am
Just Joined

princey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottywelsh
Princey if possible would you be able to send me the same forms ?

My email address < snipped>

I have had all my qualifications assessed and thats all good just require a layout for the references as my employer has no idea what the board is exactly after

Thanks scott
Hi Scott

Send me a private message with your email address mate!

Cheers

Keith
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

would if i could. currently have only one post need 2 more before it will let me

Hi Scott

Send me a private message with your email address mate!

Cheers

Keith
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

should now be able to private message after this post
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is also a facility to send a BE email too. That doesn't need the required 3 posts.
Old Dec 7th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My husband is a reg sparky in NZ ( Christchurch) . Unfortunately he has had a rough time with two companys taking him on . Then laying him off because of promised contracts not coming through . This was on Friday. He is understandbly quite low and angry about this. Espeacially so close to Christmas ........ So much he just wants to go home
He fears this will happen again .
Is it worth him just doing agency for now ?
Do you know of any GOOD companys looking for 2 years experianced sparks in Christchurch ?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
My husband is a reg sparky in NZ ( Christchurch) . Unfortunately he has had a rough time with two companys taking him on . Then laying him off because of promised contracts not coming through . This was on Friday. He is understandbly quite low and angry about this. Espeacially so close to Christmas ........ So much he just wants to go home
Do you know of any GOOD companys looking for 2 years experianced sparks in Christchurch ?
Hi yjx1nt7. It is lovely to see you but I am very sorry to read this for you and your OH.

I'd start your own thread Sparky in ChCh looking for permanent work and say what has happened.
More folk will see that .
Old Dec 8th 2013, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
For the time being, I'd register with an agency and then get the heck out of Christchurch

Queenstown, Dunedin, Nelson, Blenheim - plenty of other places where he should have no issues in getting employed

Start looking at seek and other jobs. I wish you the best of luck in getting employment elsewhere

It won't be long before shit hits the fan with regarding the rebuild. All this easy to get jobs will be long gone soon. There's a reason why so many projects are being pulled, jobs on roads being part done etc. I doubt Bill English will inform that private investment is lacking big time, and the government are running out of money for the rebuild
Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:25 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
It won't be long before shit hits the fan with regarding the rebuild. All this easy to get jobs will be long gone soon. There's a reason why so many projects are being pulled, jobs on roads being part done etc. I doubt Bill English will inform that private investment is lacking big time, and the government are running out of money for the rebuild
Out of interest, where do you get your info from? Credible source (if so, where?) or wild assumption/opinion?
Old Dec 8th 2013, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bev and Tom
The only move we will be making is back to UK .. If OH does not get a secured job . He is at an all time low , two redundancys in a year has hit him hard .
But I do think Tom is right, it can t continue as we have found out first hand
We ve given it 3 years in Christchurch , Lots of highs but even more lows . So its make or break time for us . TBH
Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:24 am
Just Joined

wolfey is an unknown quantity at this point

@Princey I tryied to PM you re getting a copy of ....... "copies of my work references and letter to EWRB so you know how to do it as you need conclusive references. PM me if I can help further" Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:37 am
Just Joined

simon 560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Choose Professional Electrical Contractor

I am looking for Professional Electrical Contractor.... Give Me Some Ideas or Send Me Some

Website Links...... Could anyone please tell me
Old Dec 27th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfey
@Princey I tryied to PM you re getting a copy of ....... "copies of my work references and letter to EWRB so you know how to do it as you need conclusive references. PM me if I can help further" Thanks
you have to post more to be able to PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.