Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

cordz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

I have learned that safety and first aid / CPR could be completed once you go to NZ. We just need to workout the other documents ( proof of work, certificates, etc.)
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

princey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cordz
I'm with you with this markwest1978. I have read that princey has some documents we can see for reference?
Hi

I can help if you send me your email address. You can PMme.

Cheers

Princey
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markwest1978
Hi all,
I am a senior electrical engineer qualified as an electrician 2003 and worked my way up, My wife and I have decided to move to NZ, I am about to send off my certificates to EWRB to be assessed fingers crossed all goes well but on the form it asks for first aid certificates, What type of certificates are they looking for?
If anyone has experience with the complete process as any advice will be approached.
Job sites or companies,
Trade tests info,
Templates to follow,
Places to live, We are thinking Auckland or Christchurch but still looking into this as it will be myself, my wife and three children 14,10 & 8,
Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

I am happy to help if you PM me your email address.

Cheers

Princey
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

serpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really nice

Hi All, just thought I would share my experience, don't mean to jump in on someone else's post!

Will be in Christchurch from October 2013.

Have applied to the EWRB
Sent copies of certificates, detailed reference from last employer, plus practicing licence application form

About 2 weeks later...
Informed by EWRB fees have increased for a practicing licence from $164 to $407. And that happened at the beginning of July 2013. (I missed the boat by about 6 days, sods law!!)

About 2 weeks later...
Receive letter from EWRB allowing me to register for a limited certificate so long as it is supported by a supervisor in NZ and I have taken the CPR/Safety course.

I can then begin work as an Electrician on a Limited Licence. This licence is valid for 12 months. In this time, they tell me, to acquire the EWRB regulations course and the EWRB Stage 3 Practical course (about £1000 GBP)

After this I am eligible apply for a Full Practicing Licence and be registered with the board.

I hope this information on my experience helps. The price hike was not fun. I have been in contact with the EWRB to obtain much of this information and am happy to send it over if it would help anyone.

Is anyone in Christchurch at the moment? Is the Electrical job market still strong? Does it still pay $25+ an hour??

Any tips or advice would be ever so much appreciated,

Thanks,

Serpico
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

cordz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also unhappy when I have read at EWRB website that overseas application fee is now changed to $350NZ from $195NZ. And about the EWRB practical course, £1000 was a lot (at least for me)!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a brilliant post. So helpful to other sparkies looking in. Thank you and have some BE karma.

Originally Posted by serpico4321
Hi All, just thought I would share my experience, don't mean to jump in on someone else's post!

Will be in Christchurch from October 2013.

Have applied to the EWRB
Sent copies of certificates, detailed reference from last employer, plus practicing licence application form

About 2 weeks later...
Informed by EWRB fees have increased for a practicing licence from $164 to $407. And that happened at the beginning of July 2013. (I missed the boat by about 6 days, sods law!!)

About 2 weeks later...
Receive letter from EWRB allowing me to register for a limited certificate so long as it is supported by a supervisor in NZ and I have taken the CPR/Safety course.

I can then begin work as an Electrician on a Limited Licence. This licence is valid for 12 months. In this time, they tell me, to acquire the EWRB regulations course and the EWRB Stage 3 Practical course (about £1000 GBP)

After this I am eligible apply for a Full Practicing Licence and be registered with the board.

I hope this information on my experience helps. The price hike was not fun. I have been in contact with the EWRB to obtain much of this information and am happy to send it over if it would help anyone.

Is anyone in Christchurch at the moment? Is the Electrical job market still strong? Does it still pay $25+ an hour??

Any tips or advice would be ever so much appreciated,

Thanks,

Serpico
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Hey mate

I recently started sparky work in Christchurch. I think you may be looking to start on $26-27 an hour and once you get your registration, it'll be more like $29-30. However, once work ramps up, we may see a rise in rates. Here's hoping anyway!!!

I'm doing my Regs and Practical in Christchurch. Regs is $916 and I've seen Practical for $665.

Any questions, feel free to ask
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

serpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really niceserpico4321 is just really nice

Thanks for the Karma,

with the EWRB I might need all I can get, though at least they didn't lose my application like the JIB over here.

Conor79...

Thanks for the info, that's great.

Did you obtain work quite quickly? Yes I would also like to see the rates increase! (touch wood)

Regarding the limited licence.... As far as I can tell I must now acquire the EWRB safety tickets and a supervisors signature so that I can get a limited licence and start work?

Then I can take the further courses (EWRB Regs and Stage 3 practical) and then I can apply for my practicing licence

Is this the process you took or can it be altered in some cost reducing way?

I looked at etco Dunedin and they are offering me:
Stage 3 Practical: $735
EWRB Regs Course: $916

Where did you see the practical for $665?, as they say, every little helps!

Any info would be great, thanks,

Serpico
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Thanks for the Karma,

with the EWRB I might need all I can get, though at least they didn't lose my application like the JIB over here.

Conor79...

Thanks for the info, that's great.

Did you obtain work quite quickly? Yes I would also like to see the rates increase! (touch wood)

Regarding the limited licence.... As far as I can tell I must now acquire the EWRB safety tickets and a supervisors signature so that I can get a limited licence and start work?

Then I can take the further courses (EWRB Regs and Stage 3 practical) and then I can apply for my practicing licence

Is this the process you took or can it be altered in some cost reducing way?

I looked at etco Dunedin and they are offering me:
Stage 3 Practical: $735
EWRB Regs Course: $916

Where did you see the practical for $665?, as they say, every little helps!

Any info would be great, thanks,

Serpico
Hi Serpico

I lived in Tauranga for 6 months when I first arrived in NZ and there was zero work so I applied to Christchurch and got a job before I moved down. I think it helps to be in the country but the bigger firms like the one I'm with accommodate overseas applications. I don't there any worries as fo finding work. The only obstacles at the moment are the relevant pulling hteir finger out and green lighting projects.

To be honest, I'm not bothering with the Limited licence. My firm don't care about it. They are letting me work as an Electrician. It's not a steppng stone to your full registration.

I'm doing my Regs with ETCO here in Christchurch via night classes. Hopefully, the Southern Institute of Technology will be running the practical in November. Again in Christchurch. So that would sav money on travel and board in Dunedin!!! I don't why ETCO haven't set up to run it here.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

platty1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by princey
Hi

I reckon He could start working without current NZ registration, I did and I know most of the Electricians I know in Christchurch have too. You are supposed to work on a limited practising licence while you obtain your full licence but like Conor stated it depends on the employer or agency. Like I said it has become less important since the rebuild after the quakes, most firms are so busy they don't care as they need the extra staff.

I sent my certified signed colour copies ( signed by a Solicitor for 100 pounds)of my City & Guilds certificates to the EWRB and I had a reply within 4 weeks stating I had to complete the NZ regulations and Level 3 practical exam which are either in June and November at Christchurch Polytechnic. It will cost more as you are classed as a foreign student if you don't have current residency. You can apply for the course or other less expensive courses once you are in NZ. You have to buy Regs books etc, happy to lend you mine.

Be careful of using migration agencies, I did not bother, you may get tied in to working for an employment agency to fulfil your visa requirements, bit of a con I think as the can hold you to ransom and own you as such.At this present time it seems a lot easier for sparkies to get work visa's for christchurch, try the skilled migrant visa, He should qualify with around 140 points or so.

I can email you copies of my work references and letter to EWRB so you know how to do it as you need conclusive references. PM me if I can help
further.

I know it seems like an uphill battle right now but it is not too bad once you get here, that's just my opinion having been down the same road 3 years ago.

I can recommend electrical firms in Christchurch I would say try otherwise agencies.

Good luck

Keith
Hi Keith
I have got the ok from EWRB to apply for limited licence but application needs a NZ supervisor to offer me a job under limited licence before I can get in do you know any employers/agencies that are recruiting I have over 30 years industrial and installation experience just need a start any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Chris
Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

platty1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Conor79
Hi Serpico

I lived in Tauranga for 6 months when I first arrived in NZ and there was zero work so I applied to Christchurch and got a job before I moved down. I think it helps to be in the country but the bigger firms like the one I'm with accommodate overseas applications. I don't there any worries as fo finding work. The only obstacles at the moment are the relevant pulling hteir finger out and green lighting projects.

To be honest, I'm not bothering with the Limited licence. My firm don't care about it. They are letting me work as an Electrician. It's not a steppng stone to your full registration.

I'm doing my Regs with ETCO here in Christchurch via night classes. Hopefully, the Southern Institute of Technology will be running the practical in November. Again in Christchurch. So that would sav money on travel and board in Dunedin!!! I don't why ETCO haven't set up to run it here.
Hi Conor
I need a job where firm will accept limited licence or I cannot get a visa who do you work for and are there any vacancies or can you help with other firms recruiting now
Thanks
Chris
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Conor,

Thanks for the reply, this information is a great help.

Got an E-mail back from Christchurch Polytechnic - they want $2100 just to sit the practical stage 3, ouch.

I think Etco is the way forward, i'm not sure of your tickets but you may have heard about the nervous beads of sweat to be expected on the 2391 practical in the UK, is it the same strict-nest in NZ, as in you fail thats it, must spend money on course again? They won't give me more info till I trade them cold hard cash!

One more question for anyone...................TOOLS

TOOLS, I'm talking basics, sidecutters, pliers, crimpers, screwdrivers, hacksaw. Stuff that cost me a lot here that will cost probably more over there. Not tools like padsaw, stanley knife, hammer, chisel.

Has ANYONE else ever, anywhere, taken they're tools to New Zealand. I have a quote for £250 from royal mail/parcel force with £1000 insurance.

Do I need to clean these or supply additional material to prove they are safe (e.g. cleanliness)

I almost overlooked this, any tips and I would be very much grateful!

Cheers,

Serpico
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by platty1005
Hi Conor
I need a job where firm will accept limited licence or I cannot get a visa who do you work for and are there any vacancies or can you help with other firms recruiting now
Thanks
Chris
Hi Platty

I signed on to Agencies when I first got here but firms like Aotea, Arnold Jenson,Smart Sparks may well be looking. The best bet is to apply when you get here, that's just my opinion. I would check out Seek.co.nz too. Far easier to hunt around once you are here. I will ask around for you!

Keith
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Conor,

Thanks for the reply, this information is a great help.

Got an E-mail back from Christchurch Polytechnic - they want $2100 just to sit the practical stage 3, ouch.

I think Etco is the way forward, i'm not sure of your tickets but you may have heard about the nervous beads of sweat to be expected on the 2391 practical in the UK, is it the same strict-nest in NZ, as in you fail thats it, must spend money on course again? They won't give me more info till I trade them cold hard cash!

One more question for anyone...................TOOLS

TOOLS, I'm talking basics, sidecutters, pliers, crimpers, screwdrivers, hacksaw. Stuff that cost me a lot here that will cost probably more over there. Not tools like padsaw, stanley knife, hammer, chisel.

Has ANYONE else ever, anywhere, taken they're tools to New Zealand. I have a quote for £250 from royal mail/parcel force with £1000 insurance.

Do I need to clean these or supply additional material to prove they are safe (e.g. cleanliness)

I almost overlooked this, any tips and I would be very much grateful!

Cheers,

Serpico
Hi

I would bring all your tools including padsaw, stanley knife, battery drills etc adjustable spanners, tape measure, testers too .It is worth giving them a good clean, I cleaned mine using oil and WD40, give them the once over and make sure they are in a clean toolbag, I bought a new toolbag and basic tools like screwdrivers from Screwfix and I sent mine over by ship in a container with the rest of my belonging, took around 8 weeks.You will probably end up buying square drive screwdriver here in NZ, stuff is cheaper in the UK too.

Cheers

Keith
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by platty1005
Hi Keith
I have got the ok from EWRB to apply for limited licence but application needs a NZ supervisor to offer me a job under limited licence before I can get in do you know any employers/agencies that are recruiting I have over 30 years industrial and installation experience just need a start any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Chris
Hi

I would check out firms like Dickson gray, Arnold Jenson, Smart Sparks, Caldwell & Levesque, Aotea,Transpower, Transfield, City care, Seek.co.nz has a list of vacancies in Christchurch. In my experience I applied to numerous jobs to NZ companies before I left the UK with not even a reply. Are you applying for the Skilled Migrant visa? If you apply for a work visa it may well be easier to get a job once you are here so you don't have the pressure of securing a job to fulfil your SMV.

Good Luck

Keith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.