Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Old May 24th 2013, 7:06 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3
WDnz2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

We have only just made the decision were going to live in nz, so all new to this. we are about to get started but not sure what is the best way. we know we have to have jobs first. my husband is a electrician with 5 years experience.

weve ben told its quite easy to get a job as a electrician in christchurch. has anyone done this? any jobs on facebook for electricians?

any help you can give on where to start. how long does it take? we've been to the immigration web site.

WDnz2b is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 7:20 am
  #2  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,477
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

As this is a trade occupation , you will need to have his trade quals assessed first by the EWRB of NZ.

Are you wanting to migrate permanently ?
BEVS is offline  
Old May 25th 2013, 4:18 am
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
toolpath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Are you looking to move to Christchurch?
I live in New Plymouth and they are crying out for electricians.
toolpath is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:55 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Russley, Christchurch
Posts: 26
princey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by WDnz2b View Post
We have only just made the decision were going to live in nz, so all new to this. we are about to get started but not sure what is the best way. we know we have to have jobs first. my husband is a electrician with 5 years experience.

weve ben told its quite easy to get a job as a electrician in christchurch. has anyone done this? any jobs on facebook for electricians?

any help you can give on where to start. how long does it take? we've been to the immigration web site.

Hi

I am an Electrician, I moved to Christchurch 3 years ago and I have jumped through all the hoops required to gain Electricians registration here from the EWRB. ( Electrical workers Registration Board) in NZ.

Your Husband will need to write to the EWRB and submit his UK Electrical qualifications and then they will notify him on what exams to re-sit in order to gain his NZ registration.
Saying that there are lots of British electricians here in Christchurch that are working and are not registered, it has lapsed due to the rebuild after the quakes.

Christchurch can also be about contacts, who you know etc.. most jobs are via employment agencies too.

I can send you lots of info If you need tips.


Keith
princey is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:59 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Russley, Christchurch
Posts: 26
princey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by princey View Post
Hi

I am an Electrician, I moved to Christchurch 3 years ago and I have jumped through all the hoops required to gain Electricians registration here from the EWRB. ( Electrical workers Registration Board) in NZ.

Your Husband will need to write to the EWRB and submit his UK Electrical qualifications and then they will notify him on what exams to re-sit in order to gain his NZ registration.
Saying that there are lots of British electricians here in Christchurch that are working and are not registered, it has lapsed due to the rebuild after the quakes.

Christchurch can also be about contacts, who you know etc.. most jobs are via employment agencies too.

I can send you lots of info If you need tips.


Keith
Hi

Check out the www.ewrb.govt.nz website.
princey is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:11 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3
WDnz2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by princey View Post
Hi

I am an Electrician, I moved to Christchurch 3 years ago and I have jumped through all the hoops required to gain Electricians registration here from the EWRB. ( Electrical workers Registration Board) in NZ.

Your Husband will need to write to the EWRB and submit his UK Electrical qualifications and then they will notify him on what exams to re-sit in order to gain his NZ registration.
Saying that there are lots of British electricians here in Christchurch that are working and are not registered, it has lapsed due to the rebuild after the quakes.

Christchurch can also be about contacts, who you know etc.. most jobs are via employment agencies too.

I can send you lots of info If you need tips.


Keith
Thanks Keith, would really appreciate the help. Do you think he could start without the registration while waiting for it? HOw long does the registration take when all the paperwork is done?
Weve just been making appointments for migration agents to see how much it all costs.
WDnz2b is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:18 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,875
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by WDnz2b View Post
Weve just been making appointments for migration agents to see how much it all costs.

don't bother spending money on migration agents they are a complete waste of money. It's easy enough to do it yourself and any issues you can ask on here or just call Immigration Office. lots cheaper
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:39 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 30
Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by WDnz2b View Post
Thanks Keith, would really appreciate the help. Do you think he could start without the registration while waiting for it? HOw long does the registration take when all the paperwork is done?
Weve just been making appointments for migration agents to see how much it all costs.
Hi there

I'm going through the process with the EWRB and it can be frustrating. They state they want signed references from employers in the UK to cover 4 years work experience. Emailed references from company accounts are not acceptable. However, you can submit a statutory declaration of your experience which needs to be signed by a Justice of the Peace. As Keith states, you will need to provide copies of all UK qualifications (these also need to be signed by a Justice of the Peace). They will then make a decision to offer a Limited Certificate. I am at this stage. To get registered I will need to complete the NZ Regulations and Stage 3 practical exam. I believe all overseas Electricians have to do this. Exams are run in June and November.

That all said, through an agency, I have got work as an Electrician and a Trade Assistant. I guess it's up to the firm whether they are bothered if you are registered or not.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Here to help
Conor79 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:31 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Russley, Christchurch
Posts: 26
princey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by WDnz2b View Post
Thanks Keith, would really appreciate the help. Do you think he could start without the registration while waiting for it? HOw long does the registration take when all the paperwork is done?
Weve just been making appointments for migration agents to see how much it all costs.
Hi

I reckon He could start working without current NZ registration, I did and I know most of the Electricians I know in Christchurch have too. You are supposed to work on a limited practising licence while you obtain your full licence but like Conor stated it depends on the employer or agency. Like I said it has become less important since the rebuild after the quakes, most firms are so busy they don't care as they need the extra staff.

I sent my certified signed colour copies ( signed by a Solicitor for 100 pounds)of my City & Guilds certificates to the EWRB and I had a reply within 4 weeks stating I had to complete the NZ regulations and Level 3 practical exam which are either in June and November at Christchurch Polytechnic. It will cost more as you are classed as a foreign student if you don't have current residency. You can apply for the course or other less expensive courses once you are in NZ. You have to buy Regs books etc, happy to lend you mine.

Be careful of using migration agencies, I did not bother, you may get tied in to working for an employment agency to fulfil your visa requirements, bit of a con I think as the can hold you to ransom and own you as such.At this present time it seems a lot easier for sparkies to get work visa's for christchurch, try the skilled migrant visa, He should qualify with around 140 points or so.

I can email you copies of my work references and letter to EWRB so you know how to do it as you need conclusive references. PM me if I can help
further.

I know it seems like an uphill battle right now but it is not too bad once you get here, that's just my opinion having been down the same road 3 years ago.

I can recommend electrical firms in Christchurch I would say try otherwise agencies.

Good luck

Keith
princey is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:35 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Russley, Christchurch
Posts: 26
princey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by WDnz2b View Post
Thanks Keith, would really appreciate the help. Do you think he could start without the registration while waiting for it? HOw long does the registration take when all the paperwork is done?
Weve just been making appointments for migration agents to see how much it all costs.
Originally Posted by Conor79 View Post
Hi there

I'm going through the process with the EWRB and it can be frustrating. They state they want signed references from employers in the UK to cover 4 years work experience. Emailed references from company accounts are not acceptable. However, you can submit a statutory declaration of your experience which needs to be signed by a Justice of the Peace. As Keith states, you will need to provide copies of all UK qualifications (these also need to be signed by a Justice of the Peace). They will then make a decision to offer a Limited Certificate. I am at this stage. To get registered I will need to complete the NZ Regulations and Stage 3 practical exam. I believe all overseas Electricians have to do this. Exams are run in June and November.

That all said, through an agency, I have got work as an Electrician and a Trade Assistant. I guess it's up to the firm whether they are bothered if you are registered or not.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Here to help

Sound like you are nearly there Conor, well done on getting so far, Are you in Christchurch?

Keith
princey is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2013, 4:08 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 30
Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Originally Posted by princey View Post
Sound like you are nearly there Conor, well done on getting so far, Are you in Christchurch?

Keith
Cheers bud! Will be there in 2 weeks
Conor79 is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:53 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 3
WDnz2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Thanx for all the help and suggestions.

My hubbie is getting his assessment done and we are going to do it all ourselves. http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...erscrossed.gif

We dont have to go to Christchurch. We just hear that is were there is a lot of work at. When he gets the assessment finished we will then look for jobs.

Bought the book Immigrating to New Zealand A do it yourself Guide from Amazon and that has been super helpful. We really want to save as much as we can before we go and if we had some quotes but its much cheaper to do it that way and look for our own jobs. Saves us thousands as it says. http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...s/thumbsup.gif

When we find the jobs we find the house and then school. My friend says that rent is super high in NZ. The forum seems to say this too. http://britishexpats.com/forum/image.../thumbdown.gif

Thanx again. Maybe New Plymouth hear we come! http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...s/thumbsup.gif
WDnz2b is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2013, 2:25 am
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
cordz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Does anyone have any template what to submit to EWRB?
cordz is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 11:54 am
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
markwest1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

Hi all,
I am a senior electrical engineer qualified as an electrician 2003 and worked my way up, My wife and I have decided to move to NZ, I am about to send off my certificates to EWRB to be assessed fingers crossed all goes well but on the form it asks for first aid certificates, What type of certificates are they looking for?
If anyone has experience with the complete process as any advice will be approached.
Job sites or companies,
Trade tests info,
Templates to follow,
Places to live, We are thinking Auckland or Christchurch but still looking into this as it will be myself, my wife and three children 14,10 & 8,
Thanks
Mark
markwest1978 is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:11 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
cordz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician looking to move to New Zealand -

I'm with you with this markwest1978. I have read that princey has some documents we can see for reference?
cordz is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.