Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician,Job Offer & Agents

Electrician,Job Offer & Agents

Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

CFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant future
Default Electrician,Job Offer & Agents

Hi All

I am an Electrical Maintenance Engineer/Technician hoping to emmigrate to NZ after April 2009, but need a job offer to qualify.

I've been informed that electricians are the hardest trade to get into NZ and due to the complexity of the process I would be advised to use an agent, obviously this advice has come from agents.

I have had my BTEC national certificate in electrical engineering provisionally assessed by NZQA at skill level 4but have now been told that i will have to have a full assessment done costing 450nz dollars-is this true??

An agent has also told me not to send off my references and qualifications to EWRB as he knows exactly what they want to see , but his services will cost me £295 for this alone.

Do i have to sit the H&S course at NZ House prior to EWRB assessment ?

Finally does an agent have a better chance of securing you a job ??

Any HELP will be appriciated

Lee
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electrician,Job Offer & Agents

Hi my hubby is also an electrician and we have just got WTR visa with no job offer. Am I right in thinking that you need a job offer as you do not have enough points to submit an EOI? It can be done without a job if this isn't the case. If you want to get PR then you will need to have quals assesed by EWRB, do the saftey course and get a job offer.
His quals were on the NZIS list of recognised quals so we didn't have to be assesed, but we did the EWRB ourselves without any probs.
There are a couple of sparkies on here that have done the same and we can all help you, you needn't get a agent.
Just post any questions in the main forum and someone will give you the answers you need.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Chris.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

CFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant futureCFCLee has a brilliant future

As I am a multi-skilled electrical engineer it was hard to pin my qualifications down to the listed jobs on NZIS.
My qualification is recognised by EWRB and listed in their policies.
I recon i have 105 points with this qual', 22years work experience and age(38)

I would be interested to hear how you got the WTR with no job offer.

Lee
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Forgive me if I'm being simple or just confused, but I thought you needed a job offer for a WTR Visa ????

OR does your skill "electrician" just have to be on the LTSSL??

Lee
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

THere is sometimes confusion over this phrase 'Work To Residence'.

There are two types of Work To Residence.

1 - where you have a job offer from what is called an accredited employer. Your route of entry to live and work in NZ is via the Work To Residence policy. This is not abut points at all. You get a temporary work permit and after two years you apply for Residency.

2 - Where you have submitted an EOI via the Skilled Migrant Category which is all about points. Sometimes NZIS will not offer Permanent Residency straight off and there are a variety of reasons for this.

One reason can be that you have the3 skills they want but no job offer. Another can be about occupational registration. Sparkies and plumbers need registration and go through a provisional licensing and assessment procedure.
So, NZIS will offer the person a Work To Residence visa instead. That person has , I think , 3 months to enter NZ and then will be given a temp work permit once they have found a job within the occupation and skill they have claimed points for. Once they have been working in the job for 3 months , they will be offered PR.

(I hope I have the timing right - please correct this if it is wrong someone)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CFCLee
As I am a multi-skilled electrical engineer it was hard to pin my qualifications down to the listed jobs on NZIS.
My qualification is recognised by EWRB and listed in their policies.
I recon i have 105 points with this qual', 22years work experience and age(38)

I would be interested to hear how you got the WTR with no job offer.

Lee
As Bevshere said we submitted the EOI, got quals assessed by the EWRB then waited for the ITA. We have been given 3 months to accept the WTR visa then 3 months in which to get to NZ, Then hubby has 9 months in which to get provisional licence and job then hopefully if this satisfys NZIS we will be given PR.
We submitted with 120 points as he was on LTSSL, points for skill in area of shortage. Have you tried filling in the online EOI? If you can do saftey course here and get a job offer you will be considered for PR.
Hope this helps