Electrician

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

alionaear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician

My husband and I are considering immigrating to NZ. He is an electrician (industrial) with over 20 years experience. He has no degree, however.

Today we saw that occupation "electrical engineer (power systems)" is on the shortage list. It says there that the degree is recommended. What does "recommended" mean exactly?

Should we apply for extra points on the above description or simply stick with the "electrician" description?

Also had a browse for jobs on Seek, there are a few, but all require the license.

At what point does my OH need to obtain the license? Should we submit the EOI without license and, therefore, without the job offer or should he get the license first, try to secure the job offer and only then think about submitting EOI?

Can somebody give the link to the registration authority for electricians please. Also, can the registration be done from UK?

Sorry for so many questions. The head is spinning. Thanks for the help
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrician

You need to contact the EWRB which is the registration board for Electricians which is here in NZ, we came over with a job offer on a provisional licence which allowed the other half to take his reg exams once here and get NZ qualified......

As for the EOI i'm not sure as we just got a WTR Visa to save time as we already had a job offer, but there are loads of threads on here about Electricians and EOI and EWRB to read through.

Good Luck with it all x

Originally Posted by alionaear
My husband and I are considering immigrating to NZ. He is an electrician (industrial) with over 20 years experience. He has no degree, however.

Today we saw that occupation "electrical engineer (power systems)" is on the shortage list. It says there that the degree is recommended. What does "recommended" mean exactly?

Should we apply for extra points on the above description or simply stick with the "electrician" description?

Also had a browse for jobs on Seek, there are a few, but all require the license.

At what point does my OH need to obtain the license? Should we submit the EOI without license and, therefore, without the job offer or should he get the license first, try to secure the job offer and only then think about submitting EOI?

Can somebody give the link to the registration authority for electricians please. Also, can the registration be done from UK?

Sorry for so many questions. The head is spinning. Thanks for the help