Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electricals - should I bring my TV etc?

Electricals - should I bring my TV etc?

Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice
Default Electricals - should I bring my TV etc?

Hi folks,

I'm not the most technologically minded but can someone please provide an overview of what to do with electricals? I have a Sony Bravia TV which is a few years old so is it easier to just sell it and buy something in NZ or is no issue to run it in NZ?

I read about bringing a UK extension lead with 4 sockets and getting the plug changed over to NZ - is that easy to do and is it then safe both for the TV and house lol?

Probably won't bring a lot of electricals just the TV and a laptop - oh and a tumble dryer. I assume there's no point bringing small stuff like kettles, toasters, microwave etc?

Thanks in advance

Des
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricals - should I bring my TV etc?

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Hi folks,

I'm not the most technologically minded but can someone please provide an overview of what to do with electricals? I have a Sony Bravia TV which is a few years old so is it easier to just sell it and buy something in NZ or is no issue to run it in NZ?

I read about bringing a UK extension lead with 4 sockets and getting the plug changed over to NZ - is that easy to do and is it then safe both for the TV and house lol?

Probably won't bring a lot of electricals just the TV and a laptop - oh and a tumble dryer. I assume there's no point bringing small stuff like kettles, toasters, microwave etc?

Thanks in advance

Des
Yup bring the lot NZ electrics same as the UK just wired in radials (single runs) instead of the UK ring system ((loops). TV will work if you connect a NZ Freeview box. UK Freeview box/hard drives will not work here. All perfectly safe though the tumble drier demand needs to be checked for loading. We live in Chch and have not found the need for one
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

cheers stormer!

You mean you don't need a tumble dryer?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:43 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

cheers stormer!

Since we have been here (2 years) we have always managed to dry washing outside every week. The older houses here have sockets on 10A radials so make sure your tumble drier does not take more than that (UK sockets may be 30A). It it does then it may have to be put on it's own supply. I hate the static that goes with them!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

cheers stormer!

If you can afford to bring your tumble dryer then do so. We use ours..
Although as Stormer says, you can hang stuff out almost all year round.. The weather has not been that flash lately though
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

We brought our Sony Bravia TV which is 3-4 years old now and didn't need a freeview box, I just used the auto tune selecting the full digital bandwidth and it got all the channels that are available with no problems.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

A lass at work just bought a Sony Bravia TV - one of the 40" Smart LED ones, which was $670 if that helps any? She said it's good.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

cheers beer - pretty cheap really. Might just see if I can sell it here.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

you might as well bring everything, its nice when it arrives and makes where ever you are feel a bit more like home than filling it with new stuff