Electrical Work in South Island

Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:40 pm
laz
Just Joined

laz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Electrical Work in South Island

Hi,

looking for your advice please.....

I am looking to gain employment as an electrician/electricians mate whilst in NZ on a working holiday visa, with a view to gaining sponsorship/visa extension & eventual residency in NZ. Having visited NZ before I would be looking for work in SI. (Christchurch or anywhere else within driving distance of the snow!)

One of the problems is I'm not a JIB registered electrician in the UK (hence the working holiday visa route).
My background is electrical having served an apprenticeship and I am currently working as an electrical manufacturing engineer (my current job doesn't seem to qualify me for PR, no degree).

I have the City & Guilds Part 1 & 2 academic qualification required to be a spark in UK, the next step in the UK would be to work as an electricians mate whilst working towards full JIB registration (12-18 months). Does the same sort of thing happen in NZ?

Also what sort of wages could I expect working in electrical trade, can't seem to get consistent figures? $45000 for PR sounds alot.

Does the working holiday visa route sound feasible to you guys?

thanks for reading!!!

Laz