British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Electrical stuff from UK - AGAIN!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/electrical-stuff-uk-again-480863/)

mistran Sep 13th 2007 11:28 am

Electrical stuff from UK - AGAIN!!

I'm sure this topic has been discussed loads of time on this forum, but as I get ready to pack up the house for NZ, I understand most electrical items work in NZ except for Tv's. I've a rather nice washing machine which I wouldn't mind bringing with me, has any one had experience in bringing domestic appliances to NZ that could advise if they work ok.:confused:

hazeandsteve Sep 13th 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Electrical stuff from UK - AGAIN!!

NZ runs on the same lece supply as UK.
All our electrical work with the exception of the portable TV. The big one is a Philips, bought in France, and it's fine.
Bring the washing machine, but remember spares back up may be difficult

mickey_d Sep 13th 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mistran (Post 5306168)
I'm sure this topic has been discussed loads of time on this forum, but as I get ready to pack up the house for NZ, I understand most electrical items work in NZ except for Tv's. I've a rather nice washing machine which I wouldn't mind bringing with me, has any one had experience in bringing domestic appliances to NZ that could advise if they work ok.:confused:

All our stuff works OK, including washing machine:thumbup:even the TV if running Sky though it.

mistran Sep 13th 2007 8:45 pm

thanks for the info guys, looks as if i'll be bringing most of my electricals unless I receive loads of responses saying they don't work:thumbsup:

teambwr47 Sep 13th 2007 9:01 pm

Posted on this before but.....

The house we have has an NZ washing machine, a top loader, which seems common here and its useless. Not sure if its the Fisher and Paykel machine thats crap or the washing fluid here but things come out of it with dirty marks still on them or undisloved soap marks on darker items.. As we've tried most of the cleaning products now i guess its the machine.

The dishwasher we have again is an NZ product and its falling apart and fails to do much other than superheat the dishes....

The carpet vacuum we have seems to be whats thought to be a good one as its on tv etc but its pathetic. The capacity of the collection container is about the same as two pint glasses.

From what we've seen to date 'NZ' products seem to be of a lower overall quality in general than European items unless you want to go out and buy high end stuff which is then much more expensive that it would be in Europe and the UK for the same items sold in both markets. The lower quality is possibly because typical wages are lower meaning people have less to spend so items need to be cheaper which means lower quality.

Bring all you electrical stuff here......we can't wait to get our stuff even if we know the small tv's won't work.

danny.f Sep 13th 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5308635)
Posted on this before but.....

The house we have has an NZ washing machine, a top loader, which seems common here and its useless. Not sure if its the Fisher and Paykel machine thats crap or the washing fluid here but things come out of it with dirty marks still on them or undisloved soap marks on darker items.. As we've tried most of the cleaning products now i guess its the machine.

The dishwasher we have again is an NZ product and its falling apart and fails to do much other than superheat the dishes....

The carpet vacuum we have seems to be whats thought to be a good one as its on tv etc but its pathetic. The capacity of the collection container is about the same as two pint glasses.

From what we've seen to date 'NZ' products seem to be of a lower overall quality in general than European items unless you want to go out and buy high end stuff which is then much more expensive that it would be in Europe and the UK for the same items sold in both markets. The lower quality is possibly because typical wages are lower meaning people have less to spend so items need to be cheaper which means lower quality.

Bring all you electrical stuff here......we can't wait to get our stuff even if we know the small tv's won't work.

Our washing machine (6 months old) died and went to heaven,and that's not the only one I've heard of. All else fine though.

dlmckay Sep 13th 2007 10:33 pm

All our UK electrical stuff is still working (dishwasher, microwave, lamps, radios, hifi, computers), but the washing machine did die here after 7 years of use and we couldn't get parts to fix it, so had to put it in the inorganic collection :(

However, we did find that the circuit kept tripping if we had the UK washing machine and dishwasher going at the same time, so could only run one or the other to keep the electric on! :huh:

Our UK TV does not pick up NZ TV (despite being new), so is used as a playstation screen for the kids.

Kiwiprincess Sep 13th 2007 11:36 pm

Random Fact: Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawers (ie the two dishwasher drawer versions) are considered a selling point in some multimillion dollar apartments in New York City. Came across that little fact quite randomly and had to make me laugh.

teambwr47 Sep 13th 2007 11:52 pm

Yes but have you seen the quality of US made items....

They are almost as poor but not quite as NZ stuff.........:rofl:

They probably think F+P stuff is superb

Kiwiprincess Sep 14th 2007 12:16 am

that could explain it....:rofl: