Electrical stuff

Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default Electrical stuff

Hi there!

Just had a couple of questions about taking UK electrical items to NZ, any help would be great

- I've heard a rumour about UK TVs have to be 're-tuned' due to the sound working on a 'different carrier frequency' - is there any truth in this? It sounds plausible but I have never seen it mentioned on here before so not sure if its true or not!!

- Will my DAB radio work over in NZ, or is it set up for UK use only?

- What is the best internet site to look at for a rough idea for NZ electrical appliance prices?

Our fridge freezer is on its last legs and I'm not sure whether to get one before we go, bearing in mind we don't know if one will be supplied when we rent or buy. I think it would be best to buy in NZ but I've heard that white goods in general are expensive .... help!!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical stuff

Basically, you can use your TV, but you'll need to get an external tuner for it:
- UK analogue TVs do not work in NZ. You'll get a picture, but no sound.
- For digital terrestrial freeview, you need to buy a NZ Freeview box, as New Zealand uses a different system for digital TV broadcasting

You might want to sell your DAB radio and buy a simple FM one instead:
- DAB radio is still being trialled in New Zealand, and I don't think they've settled on a standard or a roll-out plan yet.
- you might get reception of the test channels in some parts of Wellington and Auckland, but that's all
- if/when NZ moves to digital radio, they will probably use a newer standard than the one the UK uses, so your UK DAB radio probably won't work anyway
- there's some info here: www.digitalradio.co.nz

Internet sites for electrical goods:
- consumer items: www.dse.co.nz
- consumer and whiteware: www.harveynorman.co.nz
- second-hand goods (often some great buys): www.trademe.co.nz

I wouldn't bother shipping a dying fridge/freezer over here. Your rental place might have whiteware included anyway, and you can always buy a new or recent second-hand fridge/freezer if you need to. Although prices are high here, there are regular sales, and you can usually haggle 10-20% off the price of new white goods at Harvey Norman etc. (or get them to throw in free extended warranties and delivery...).

Last edited by drrobert; Jul 30th 2010 at 8:10 pm. Reason: updated
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need to get a digibox or any other kind of decoder for your tv.
Unless the one you've got is an old knacker most plasma/lcd's plug straight in and work fine.
We brought 2 plasmas, a big wharfdale one and a smaller cheapy argos special
that was my sons.
both worked perfectly.
The DAB wont work
I would reccomend buying a new fridge in the uk as they are very expensive here/
Other electrical stores to look at are
bond + bond ( www.bondandbond.co.nz)
Dick smith electrical (www.dse.co.nz)
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:53 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

As above.. my Telly is a 4 year old LCD - plugged it in changed a few menu settings Autotuned it and works fine.. no probs with sound etc.. you can rent white goods easily enough .. http://www.mrrental.co.nz/ for example
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

That's interesting - perhaps newer TVs are okay for NZ analogue broadcasts. Although my (older) CRT television will pick up the image but not the sound here in NZ.

Also, can I just check - you must be talking about analogue TV only? Because the digital terrestrial Freeview standard used in NZ is quite different to that used in the UK. My understanding is that UK freeview tuners do not work in New Zealand.

This is also discussed here: http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/arch...p/t-27570.html

Last edited by drrobert; Jul 31st 2010 at 12:13 am.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 11:53 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drrobert
That's interesting - perhaps newer TVs are okay for NZ analogue broadcasts. Although my (older) CRT television will pick up the image but not the sound here in NZ.

Also, can I just check - you must be talking about analogue TV only? Because the digital terrestrial Freeview standard used in NZ is quite different to that used in the UK. My understanding is that most UK freeview tuners do not work in New Zealand.

This is also discussed here: http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/arch...p/t-27570.html

If your LCD TV has a built in freeview, it won't work here. You'll have to buy a digi box to plug in.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:04 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

To clarify ... my LCD does not have freeview build in .. only an analogue tuner
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:25 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bga
To clarify ... my LCD does not have freeview build in .. only an analogue tuner
Mine has analogue and freeview but the freeview won't work here....
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

I've generally found that the price of new consumer electrical goods (e.g. televisions) is not too bad in NZ if you shop around a little.

For instance, a 37" LG full HD TV is $996 at JB Hi-Fi in NZ (link). A similar TV is GBP 499 (=$1080) at Argos in the UK (link). Plus, the NZ-purchased TV will work here without needing an external freeview decoder - so don't buy a new TV in Britain to bring to NZ!

Even for whiteware, the differences aren't always great. Yes, certain European brands are cheaper in the UK, as they're manufactured locally, but Korean/Japanese/Chinese made goods are fairly similar in price. For example, this LG fridge-freezer is $3000 at a high-street store in NZ (link), and costs GBP 1279 - 1499 from online stores in the UK ($2765 - $3240; link).

Again, I'd say unless you want a specific model of European fridge, don't buy in the UK just to bring it to NZ! You'll probably find it is a false economy, because: 1. your rental house might include a fridge anyway, 2. the one you bring over might be the wrong size for your new kitchen, and 3. your UK warranty might not be honoured here in NZ.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Your tele will work but you will probably want to get sky or a digibox anyway.
Reception is VERY poor all over the country. Even with good arials we only get
2 clear channels (TV1 and C4) the rest (TV2 TV3 AND PRIME) are terrible pictures.
We have a signal booster but it make no difference.
This is not because we have a uk spec tv as the new sony bravia tv where i
work is just as bad.
TBH i couldnt imagine tv here without my sky+ HDi.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Thanks everyone, some cool sites there. Prices don't seem as bad as I'd imagined!

Have decided to get one in NZ and skip my old one when we leave (if it lasts that long)
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Thanks everyone, some cool sites there. Prices don't seem as bad as I'd imagined!

Have decided to get one in NZ and skip my old one when we leave (if it lasts that long)
Get a 3D one from there, they're 1/2 the price there, & get me one as well!!!