Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrical licence's

Electrical licence's

Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

DT1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical licence's

I was wondering if anyone else had gone through the issue Im having with EWRB with regards to electrical licencing? Basically Ive filled all the paper work in and sent off for my qualifications and experiance to be recognised, they have come back and said that I will have to do my NZ regs, first aid and my final practical again to gain my NZ licence. Ok not to bad but to do my test I need a limited licence, to get a limited licence I need to have a letter from a electrical superviser saying that I work for them.
........ Does this seem annoying and OTT to anyone else?
Regards
Me
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:01 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical licence's

Originally Posted by DT1984
I was wondering if anyone else had gone through the issue Im having with EWRB with regards to electrical licencing? Basically Ive filled all the paper work in and sent off for my qualifications and experiance to be recognised, they have come back and said that I will have to do my NZ regs, first aid and my final practical again to gain my NZ licence. Ok not to bad but to do my test I need a limited licence, to get a limited licence I need to have a letter from a electrical superviser saying that I work for them.
........ Does this seem annoying and OTT to anyone else?
Regards
Me
if you want to work as a spark in NZ, it's just the way it is. Its the same for plumbers and lots of other occupations.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see it as a problem, just a means to an end. England will now let any muppet mess about with wiring systems without caring a jot, the land of the 6 week sparkie! Some places, Oz, Nz, require people who have actually served as an apprentice, can prove it and will change to their standards, I think its a bloody good way of doing things, weeds out all the chancers, hopefully.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the support lol. O well will have to go over and see what's happening
Old Feb 29th 2012, 1:35 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peliqueria
I dont see it as a problem, just a means to an end. England will now let any muppet mess about with wiring systems without caring a jot,.
Factually incorrect.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Factually incorrect.
But in the real world true
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DT1984
Cheers for the support lol. O well will have to go over and see what's happening
If you still have your job in the mines, stick it out in oz, go to tech do the exam and presto hey licence, a lot easier to get in south oz, so am told
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:28 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

why on earth would you be coming the wring way? Most sparks here want to go to Aussie!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Because I got my electrical licence in the British army AMD only have 4years and 3 months experiance..... TRA require 5 years to raven look at me. New Zealand require 4 years, so they win
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:00 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

if the EWRB are making you do the 4 years then your first post is incorrect. Everyone coming to this country is at least required to have first aid/safety refresher, complete the regs exam and do the final 3 year practical. The EWRB can, if they think your quals aren't up to it, make you also do so many hours, upto 2000 and parts one and two.

If you are saying that they are telling you 4 years then that's a full apprenticeship, which isn't what you suggested in your first post.

I would if I were you have a good read of what the EWRB have sent you.

Personally, if it were me and I was in Aussie I'd be staying there. I have 3 mates who have jumped the tasmin, one to Sydney, the other Brisbane and the last to FIFO some mine in Western Aus. All of them are earning way more than they could here, work less or equal to hours, get more free time and basically keep telling me to up sticks and get my arse over there - which incidentally I would were it not for the fact that I am on a PR here and can't get into Aussie on it.

The average wage here is between 18-23 per hour on a 45-50 hour week. There's not much happening in the industry and doesn't look that rosey either.

I'd be having a serrious think if I were you.