Reload this Page >

Electrical Items Transfer

Electrical Items Transfer

Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:16 pm
IHC
Just Joined

IHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Items Transfer

Can someone advise me if all electrical items transfer from the UK to NZ ok. The main items are TV / IPOD docks / PS3 / Clock Radios & Computer etc...
Ian
Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Items Transfer

On the whole yes, judging by our experience -bring plenty of plug adaptors, we underestimated how many we would need.

Our tv picture worked but not the sound with an ordinary aerial and I had a call from an English friend on Friday who's just unpacked her container and found the same. Our tv works fine using cable though.

Can't advise on PS3/ipod etc as we don't have any!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IHC
Can someone advise me if all electrical items transfer from the UK to NZ ok. The main items are TV / IPOD docks / PS3 / Clock Radios & Computer etc...
Ian
Your UK TV is likely to have problems off a normal TV Aerial here in NZ as the PAL signal is slightly different here than the UK. The result is often that the colours will not reproduce on-screen correctly and/or the sound will not function, as MOSO stated.

However, get a Freeview box or Sky TV and connect it to the TV via the AV inputs (E.g. Scart, Composite, HDMI etc etc) and it will all work fine.

I haven't got mine here yet but I'm reliably informed that the PS3 will function perfectly you'll just need an adapter so that the UK plug will plug in.... however... I would assume (from memory, the power cable on the PS3 is not permanent) that I can simply go to an electronic store and pick up an alternative (NZ) power cable (with the correct connection to go in the back of the PS3) and plug it in... sure Sony will no doubt have something to say about only using genuine Sony adapters, but I can't see that this wouldn't function.

That being said, I intend to test the theory on a far cheaper and much less loved bit of kit first! Plus it's probably cheaper to by travel adapters than whole power cables. I will say however (perhaps it's the cheap travel adapters we have) that our adapters seem very loose when plugged in and I'd rather not use them long term, personally.

In the meantime, I've not tried plugging my IPOD in to an NZ plug socket as I charge it in the car or via my laptop, I'm not even sure that I have my IPOD dock with me but I'll check and test it if I do...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:41 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"I will say however (perhaps it's the cheap travel adapters we have) that our adapters seem very loose when plugged in and I'd rather not use them long term, personally."

I agree

If you buy adaptors, buy good quality 3 pin ones, not the cheap 2 pin types. They fit the sockets much better and dont fall out easily. KORJO are a brand that i've used a lot, available from Dick Smith or The Warehouse

Alternatively buy new power cords from :

http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/entry?entry=298
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:06 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

UK 3 pin multiplug extension leads and a box of NZ plugs or adaptors. One adaptor = 4/6 UK plugs. Also means UK plug type transformers (mobile phone etc) can plug in.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We brought out wharfdale plasma tv (argos special so nothing flash)from the
uk and it worked perfect as soon as i plugged it in and ran auto tune.
PS2,xbox360,nintendo Wii,uk washing machine,tumble dryer,DVD players and recorders,
5.1 home theatre system, electricric alarm clocks, mp3 players, hifi system,
all kitchen apliances, in fact everything we brought worked fine.
We have kept our uk plugs on all the big electrical things we brought as they
have fuses in the plugs where as kiwi plugs dont.

We also brought a couple of smaller lcd tv's of the kids and both of them
worked fine with picture and sound. surely its just a matter of altering the
tv's picture and sound settings to get them to work ?? it took me two minutes
to change the settings with the tv remote controls.

DVD players probably wont play kiwi dvd's as the uk and NZ are different regions
this can be changed in two minutes to make them play any region. theres a thread
on here somewhere with links on how to do it.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
We also brought a couple of smaller lcd tv's of the kids and both of them
worked fine with picture and sound. surely its just a matter of altering the
tv's picture and sound settings to get them to work ?? it took me two minutes
to change the settings with the tv remote controls.
UK = PAL-I
NZ = PAL-B/G

many TVs, even older ones can be changed from the UK to NZ settings. There is a thread or two about this. <search> is your friend. Eg:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5628627

I'd also second the 3-pin adapters over 2-pin ones, and I'd avoid kettles, heaters, toasters and other high power appliances being on UK plug tops via NZ adapters although fitting a NZ/Aus plug top is a lesson in ergonomics (or the lack of them).....

A good tip is to get some decent surge protected adapters in the UK (we got a couple of good value Belkins) as the electrical supply here is often not as "clean" as in the UK as more is on overhead lines and there are frequent outages - I was in the office the other day to see the power "spike" and reset my desk phone and all the computer equipment although the lights did not go out. We have the Hi-Fi, TV and computer on these Belkins, which were considerably cheaper in a Maplin sale than in Dick Smith, etc here (about 1/3 of the price!).....stick a good NZ plug on the end and keep it plugged in as the Kiwi socket outlet is prone to becoming "crunchy" as its made out of flimsy metal......like the plugs.... :-(

Not sure how great European freezers/fridges are in this climate, our under-bar freezer (a good solid old Creda) is almost always wet with condensation on the top from the humidity where there is a cold spot.....and that is down in the garage where it is often the coolest in the house.