Electrical Goods

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by jayjaysaxking
So you took your TV over? I thought a TV was one of the electrical items that wouldn't work. Probably not really an issue with myself coz the TV I have should have been binned a long time ago I think.
I was told that they use a different TV frequency (if that makes sense) and so TV's from UK would be useless. ???
I brought over a Sanyo TV that was new in 2002 - it doesn't pick up anything here except Prime. It sits in the rumpus room and is used with our UK VCR/DVD for the kids to watch their videos on and play Playstation.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:52 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused as to why a lot of people keep suggesting taking plug adaptors. Why not just cut the Uk plug off when you get there and put a Kiwi one on? It's not a good idea to use too many adaptors.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

the calders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mazi
I'm confused as to why a lot of people keep suggesting taking plug adaptors. Why not just cut the Uk plug off when you get there and put a Kiwi one on? It's not a good idea to use too many adaptors.
take some 4 or 6 way plug adaptors and then you only have to change the plug on that and not on the tv, dvd, playstation etc. most adaptors are fused and also you dont have to cut of the sealed plugs on the tv etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the calders
take some 4 or 6 way plug adaptors and then you only have to change the plug on that and not on the tv, dvd, playstation etc. most adaptors are fused and also you dont have to cut of the sealed plugs on the tv etc.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dangerous Dan. Never a good idea to have too many things plugged into one adaptor thingumy, especially not UK plugged things into an NZ whatnot. I (and others I have known) had a serious electric shock as a result of that - threw me across the room, burnt my arm and I was still lying on the floor when Boyfriend returned half an hour later. My arm was dead for a week afterwards. Just cut the bleedin' plugs off, put Kiwi ones on and have done with it.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

the calders is an unknown quantity at this point

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dangerous Dan. Never a good idea to have too many things plugged into one adaptor thingumy, especially not UK plugged things into an NZ whatnot. I (and others I have known) had a serious electric shock as a result of that - threw me across the room, burnt my arm and I was still lying on the floor when Boyfriend returned half an hour later. My arm was dead for a week afterwards. Just cut the bleedin' plugs off, put Kiwi ones on and have done with it.
OUCH,
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Because the individual plugs cost about $10 each and the cheaper ones are hopeless - I can't get the screws out of two of them, so that's $14 wasted...
Think of the number of electrical items you have... there's nearly 10 items in my kitchen alone!

Plus I would always keep my computer and TV on a circuit breaker type adaptor because of the power surges which are fairly common.

I'm considering bringing across some british plug faceplates and just replacing the wall end of the plug instead of the equipment
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

jayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant futurejayjaysaxking has a brilliant future

Urmm, interesting and confusing! Would be worth while taking my TV if it wasn't begging to be put out of it's misery. I think I'll let it lie and put the old thing to rest. I think when I get over to NZ, I'll treat myself to a nice new TV (not that the programmes are worth watching, so I've heard!) Sounds like Sky is a must! Never had it in the UK. Anyone give me any idea how much a decent TV over there may cost and how much Sky may cost.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I brought over a Sanyo TV that was new in 2002 - it doesn't pick up anything here except Prime. It sits in the rumpus room and is used with our UK VCR/DVD for the kids to watch their videos on and play Playstation.
Have you tried it through a NZ video. Ours is a Philips TV.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Mazi, what's wrong with using adaptors. We were abit worried cos all our electricals are from UK, we got an electrician to give us the OK.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jayjaysaxking
Sounds like Sky is a must! Never had it in the UK. Anyone give me any idea how much a decent TV over there may cost and how much Sky may cost.
My hubby thinks that Sky is a must, at $79 per month, I think it's a waste. Well, it keeps him quiet for a while - but I'm sick of sport.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:40 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I was once told by a washer repair man never to plug my washer into an adapter ... don't know why but he told me a tale about a little boy being killed by the family washing machine not being earthed because of it or something. May be a myth but I never risked it since I was told that.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
I was once told by a washer repair man never to plug my washer into an adapter ... don't know why but he told me a tale about a little boy being killed by the family washing machine not being earthed because of it or something. May be a myth but I never risked it since I was told that.
I'm safe then, my washer was one of the few things we chucked out. Got a front loader when we got here.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
I'm safe then, my washer was one of the few things we chucked out. Got a front loader when we got here.
Very jealous!
We bought a top loader and it doesn't wash nearly as well.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boopy
Mazi, what's wrong with using adaptors. We were abit worried cos all our electricals are from UK, we got an electrician to give us the OK.
See my post about the electric shock - and I've been told by electricians not to do it, inc. Kiwi electricians, and some electrical goods have a warning on the package not to do it. The odd one may be OK, but not 4 or 5 things in one, all of which have UK plugs and then go through the adaptor to a Kiwi power point. And they're ugly.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sky
Very jealous!
We bought a top loader and it doesn't wash nearly as well.
I hear you! Top loaders are dreadful inventions - it doesn''t even make sense - clothes get washed by tumbling over and over, not by spinning round and round. Weirdly our clothes always smelled awful when they came out of the machine in NZ too - and yes, we used washing powder! It could have been the water though, which was often brown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.