electrical goods

Old May 5th 2006, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

glasgae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical goods

sorry if this is here already but I didn't find anything - can someone please confirm if electrical goods work there? - ok I probably need adaptors but I've had all kinds of conflicting info about DVD players, washing machines, digital cordless phones, TVs and computers etc.
Are those things worth taking?

thanks all
Old May 5th 2006, 10:40 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice
Default Re: electrical goods

Originally Posted by glasgae
sorry if this is here already but I didn't find anything - can someone please confirm if electrical goods work there? - ok I probably need adaptors but I've had all kinds of conflicting info about DVD players, washing machines, digital cordless phones, TVs and computers etc.

thanks all
Bring them all if they are worth bringing ( not too old ) as they will all work and cheap adapters do the job over here and are cheaper than NZ plugs believe it or not. Dvd needs to be multi region and you will need either a cheap NZ video recorder or NZ sky tv to get sound from any UK tv.
Good Luck
Old May 6th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
cheap adapters do the job over here and are cheaper than NZ plugs believe it or not.
buy your adapters in the UK as they are expensive here - NZ plugs are about $3 from most stores but be warned - they are dead fiddly to change. The other thing worth bringing are UK extension leads - then you can get away with only changing the plug on the extension lead rather than a whole load of appliances. For appliances with detachable leads you can buy the NZ equivalent which we did for things like music systems etc
Vicki
Old May 6th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all
I was told by PSS that we wouldn't be able to take our digital cordless phone/ answering machine. They said it interferes with the NZ police network. with things like washing machines you may not be able to get parts should it breakdown.
Old May 6th 2006, 2:22 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it all. If your washing machine breaks down in a year's time, you've had a year out of it. And if it does break down, the council comes around once a year and takes all that sort of stuff away for free! Everything works with an adaptor - we bought multi-adaptors in the Warehouse for around $8 and they're brilliant. Two and three pins - we've changed the plug on the kettle and that's it.

Basically, a Fisher & Pikel (sp) washing machine can be bought for $800 here. Will it cost you that to ship yours over? When you're setting up house again all these things add up and the less you've got to shell out the better.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:44 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
I was told by PSS that we wouldn't be able to take our digital cordless phone/ answering machine. They said it interferes with the NZ police network. with things like washing machines you may not be able to get parts should it breakdown.
We brought ours - no problems so far!
Old May 7th 2006, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

glasgae is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your great advice. Just one more question then - is it worth bringing my (cheap) combination TV/DVD player so I can still play the DVDs?

thanks again. Great tip about the extension leads!
Old May 7th 2006, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot to everyone for all your great advice. Just one more question then - is it worth bringing my (cheap) combination TV/DVD player so I can still play the DVDs?

thanks again. Great tip about the extension leads!

I am going to take everything I can in the container as some may work and some not.Trial and error may save you a lot of money and hell its dear enough already just to get there .We need to save somewhere .I will only buy what I have to ,my car is not comung with me sadly as it is less than 1 year old but I will get a good price for it and will buy a new one there anyway as priority to get around.As for the driving test I think it is an insult when you see the standard of Kiwi driving to ask us to do a test .Still its another way of getting money off us as is all the immigration process.