Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

electrical equipment....

electrical equipment....

Old May 23rd 2009, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default electrical equipment....

hi all,
im not sure if this has been answered on here and sorry if it has.
my hubby wants to know which electrical equipment we can take.
can he take his television, ps3, shaver, dvd player, freeview box ect ect
i did read on one thread but couldnt find it again that evrything will work over there and to take plenty of 3way plugs ect.
so please could you tell me what will work and what wont as he is driving me barmy
thanks
ki x
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical equipment....

Originally Posted by kira
hi all,
i did read on one thread but couldnt find it again that evrything will work over there and to take plenty of 3way plugs ect.
so please could you tell me what will work and what wont as he is driving me barmy
thanks
ki x
Telly & Freeview, I wouldnt bother....UK freeview is completely different to NZ one and wont work here..

Shaver should be ok...may need an adaptor

DVD player, hmm not too sure about this...

Basically its a good excuse for him to go out and buy a new telly and DVD player if you ask me
Old May 23rd 2009, 11:20 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
thanks
ki x
We brought out Television, but it was a newish one and it works fine, our portable tv dont pick up nz tv though but my daughter can still play dvds on it, and our dvd is fine also

any other electrical equipment is fine. including the PlayStation

but not uk sky or freeview boxes they wont work!
Old May 24th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,
thanks
ki x
Bear in mind that although you will be able to play BR through the PS3 is you bust a std dvd here you woant as its region 4 and your ps3 will be region2 with region B for BR.

TV as long as its kinda new and can gat PAl and NTSC your cool
Old May 24th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

we bought everything, but not the sky and freeview.

Our Flat screen TV was 12 months old and thought we would have to use a DVD player with it to make it work, but no, it worked perfectly. We bought over the Wii, DVD, PS2, kitchen appliances even the kettle - all work fine.

So fill your container and bring everything (if you want too, we did).

Good luck
Old May 24th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

thanks for all your replys
the hubby is happy now the tv we have is only 18 months old with built in free view so it should work ok, think we will leave the portable tv's behind when we do come over tho. at least if things work he will have no excuse to buy new
thanks again
ki x
Old May 24th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

We bought over the portables and the kids watch Dvd's on them and play their PS2. We did buy a half decent one for the family room from Trademe at a very good price.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your replys
the hubby is happy now the tv we have is only 18 months old with built in free view so it should work ok, think we will leave the portable tv's behind when we do come over tho. at least if things work he will have no excuse to buy new
thanks again
ki x
Hi Kira, not sure about this but is the built in UK freeview the only tuner that the TV has, does it still pick up the analogue signal without the freeview being on? As has been said the Freeview in NZ and the one in the UK are not compatible with each other...
Old May 24th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Hi Kira, not sure about this but is the built in UK freeview the only tuner that the TV has, does it still pick up the analogue signal without the freeview being on? As has been said the Freeview in NZ and the one in the UK are not compatible with each other...
The voltage over here is exactly the same...DVDs, stereos, VCR all work over here. The only issue appears to be with possibly free view boxes (as someone has pointed out) and older TVs that get the piccy but not the sound. Newer TVs can be 'switched 'over to the NZ sound frequency. But hey, TVs are soooooooo cheap now one NZ retailer was flogging a really good new 42" flat screen (panasonic I think) for $1250!!! You can buy adaptors that plug into your UK plug then go into the NZ socket..or you can chop your plugs off and put NZ ones on..that's the cheaper option but I could not be arsed doing about 25 appliances!!!!!!!!!!!