Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrical contractors

Electrical contractors

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electrical contractors

hubby has began searching for jobs, we are looking at Orewa, Whangaraparoa, Stanmore bay areas. Would really appreciate any help on any companies he could send his c.v to. Also any info regarding places which would more suit our 2 boys 15 and 12. Oldest loves fishing, youngest footy. I also see that 'petanque' is quite popular over there, thats good news for me as I love the game.
I have found quite a bit of info from searches but obviously at the end of the day we will have to go where there is work.
Thanks
Chris x
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical contractors

Originally Posted by alchris
hubby has began searching for jobs, we are looking at Orewa, Whangaraparoa, Stanmore bay areas. Would really appreciate any help on any companies he could send his c.v to. Also any info regarding places which would more suit our 2 boys 15 and 12. Oldest loves fishing, youngest footy. I also see that 'petanque' is quite popular over there, thats good news for me as I love the game.
I have found quite a bit of info from searches but obviously at the end of the day we will have to go where there is work.
Thanks
Chris x
Hi Chris,

Lardyl is in that area and I know he plays footy, not sure about his sons? Michelle and Carl are also in the area as is Vitalstatistix - but she's in the UK at the moment. I'm sure one of them, or anyone I've missed - Lapsed Kiwi is another there - will be along soon.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alchris
Thanks
Chris x
Hi Chris
Just thought i would drop in here. My OH is in IT. He went to NZ alone in May/June having blitzed the job market with CVs. He got on the plane with only one interview booked - and that was for a job they agreed didnt really exist at that point - so he wasnt very hopeful and was convinced he was on a ride to nowhere.
When he got there he managed to get to see a few more people but again not for anything definate
We were hoping for Auckland or north of, but he was prepared to go see anyone in Wellington if need be.
In the end a job offer followed him home - he arrived monday and it came through for him on tuesday morning. RESULT
So after sending out about 50 CVs and having more interviews with recruitment consultants than for jobs themselves it all worked out in the end.
The recruitment consultants were very helpful and had lots of good things to say but in the end he had to get the job for himself.
We are now hopefully heading to Hamilton in time for February
I wish you lots of luck in your search, it aint easy, and as you say, may have to bend a bit to get the right job, but should be worth it in the end.

I only posted for the first time today and its right what they say about the BE finger!! i just cant stop!! Gonna step away from the machine now x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're living out here then anywhere on the North Shore and even into the CBD is a reasonable commute to work; just avoid commuting beyond the CBD. Also, Helensville, Warkworth. I'm afraid I can't recommend any companies - I'd suggest a search on the yellow pages site in this area would be a good start point. Also, trademe has quite a good localisation feature on its job pages. The company we use as a supplier is called Vosper Thorneycroft Fitzroy (vtf.co.nz) - probably worth sending your CV to them but couldn't say what the job position is.
This seems like a very nice area for kids. There are loads of sports clubs, with the sports fileds busy places at weekends. Also, sea scouts, surf lifesaving and a sailing club. Orewa College (which both yours would attend), has quite a good reputation - not one of the really good schools like Westlake, but perfectly OK. Fishing is very big around here - off the rocks, beaches and of course by boat/kayak. Living near a peninsula, there are endless venues to choose from.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from another Hibiscus Coast resident.
As L-K says there is plenty to do sports/fishing wise here and the "boules-type" fraternity are widespread, going by the number of people I have heard mentioning "pertank".....excuse the spelling but that is what I hear.
As far as being a sparkie here, the OH will have to convert to NZ standards and there are courses for doing this.
Do a search on "Nick Chandler" for that, he's based in Massey (West Auckland) and does this sort of thing (or used to) for NZIS, plus he is a good bloke and well travelled/versed in matters electrical.
Not sure whether he can offer advice on who to work for up here but I know he has his own contractors in W Auckland as I met some about a month ago on a job.
I am keenly involved in the Hibiscus Coast AFC which is a good club with reasonable (and due to be upgraded!) facilities in Stanmore Bay (on the beach as such). Check out hbcafc.org.nz for details.
Commuting is OK to the CBD and getting the times right is critical. I think there are a few cotntractors with local depots though - Fairgay Electrical (sp?) have a place down the road in Silverdale:
Fairgray Electrical Ltd
Unit A
29 Peters Way
Silverdale
Whangaparaoa 0932

postal address:
P O Box 187
Orewa
(09) 4263852 Fax (09) 4260640 Mobile (027) 4933665 Tollfree 0800 277279
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Am Loolah and Psychopandy many thanks for your replies, also Lardyl great info and thanks for the address, I will also be looking at your 'AFC' website. Since finding this forum I have been amazed by the kindness of people on here, always so happy to help others out(yes I know thats what it meant for)
We have never been to NZ and have over the past year looked at all sorts of locations but feel we need to be fairly near to Auckland. We live in a small village but about 20 mins from either Swindon and Bristol. So ideally we wanted to live somewhere similar. Also I not a very confident driver especially if I dont know where I'm going!!
Lapsed Kiwi, again many thanks for taking time to reply it certainly seems like an area we could settle into, 'Water lily 'who used to post on here moved to Stanmore Bay last year has just sent me some photos of Orewa and they look lovely! Shall get hubby to search the 'yellow' pages.
Again cheers to you all, very helpful and informative replies
Chris xx
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

No problem and good luck. We lived near Corsham for a few years before emigrating so were probably near you. Much better here - the only things I miss are real ale pubs and the huge network of public footpaths that are so good for dog walking in Wiltshire
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good morning, what a small world! we live in Sherston so not that far from Corsham. I have read pubs out there arent like the ones here, small price to pay though:
We have promised the boys a dog when we are settled in NZ, they would love one or two
dont ask me why we never had one here suppose garden was never big enough
Enjoy the day
Chrisx