Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrical assessments......

Electrical assessments......

Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Electrical assessments......

OH, (Simon) is looking into qualifying as an electrician, he spent 13 yrs in the RAF as one, but obviously not domestic stuff!

How does he go about supplying references for wok completed but as a self employed person? he obviously cant reference himself? and customers dont know what sort of work he has done... ie cable type etc etc.... and the RAF was on planes!

We are in a catch 22 place where he cant take the assessment as he has no employer references, and the RAF refs are irrelevent.....

help!!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electrical assessments......

Originally Posted by crumpy10
OH, (Simon) is looking into qualifying as an electrician, he spent 13 yrs in the RAF as one, but obviously not domestic stuff!

How does he go about supplying references for wok completed but as a self employed person? he obviously cant reference himself? and customers dont know what sort of work he has done... ie cable type etc etc.... and the RAF was on planes!

We are in a catch 22 place where he cant take the assessment as he has no employer references, and the RAF refs are irrelevent.....

help!!!
for NZ he doesnt need to take an assement he just needs the Electrical Workers Registration Board(EWRB) to assess him, by means of giving them a very detailed summary of what he does and did do. They will then decide if they will offer him a provisional licence which you need to get a job offer and a visa. Have a look on their website. You will need some sort of references for the immigration process to prove what you have said he has done.
Sorry hope this makes sense.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Electrical assessments......

Originally Posted by alchris
for NZ he doesnt need to take an assement he just needs the Electrical Workers Registration Board(EWRB) to assess him, by means of giving them a very detailed summary of what he does and did do. They will then decide if they will offer him a provisional licence which you need to get a job offer and a visa. Have a look on their website. You will need some sort of references for the immigration process to prove what you have said he has done.
Sorry hope this makes sense.
many thanks for that, but it is through them that we are going through! (sorry should have said) and its them that need the refs for him to take the assessments!

and we cant get refs from customers as they dont know what type of electrics he has done ie type of cables, fittings etc etc.... and in the RAf the work he has done is irrelevent to now.

so how does an electrician go about providing refs for work carried out by himself, and get refs from a professional, when he is the only profesional in the business???? (except me of course!!)

so in trying to get refs we are a bit stuck...

aarrrrgggghhhh how frustrating!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

....bump....

Try a PM to Carolineshewan or search her posts. They've been through the process.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs,

thanks for the info, i have searched her threads and not found much about it.

and to top off our problem, the guy from EWRB, (i wont mention his name) has turned round and said that they only require references from employers, but nothing about having been self employed!

i did find a thread on another web forum, (bad lady!!!) and found a paragraph stating from the EWRB that if you are self employed then an inspectors reference will suffice... now i cant find it anywhere on the EWRBs website now!

am at a loss as to what to do, i think we are going to use my NVQ level 2 in horses to get in!

thanks again

Anna
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:28 pm
`

Originally Posted by crumpy10

i did find a thread on another web forum, (bad lady!!!) and found a paragraph stating from the EWRB that if you are self employed then an inspectors reference will suffice...
It's allowed . We need all the help we can get.

Now then.
I found this ....
References from employers (i.e. an electrical supervisor or manager) or electrical inspectors (if you are self employed) must be included, to verify your work experience.
...... from a very old set of posts and thread

The info was given by someone called Salpow several years ago who no longer posts anywhere to my knowledge. The site that she used regularly no longer exists.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ah HA!

thats exactly what i found! thank god i am not just seeing things!

so you can see our dilema, the guy from EWRB, is completely ignoring this statement.... he hasnt even acknowledged it ..... so does it still exist somewhere in the EWRB?????

if so i just cant find it...

i have been leaching the other forums info, and honest guv, i havent been talking to any of em..

thanks Bevs

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:44 pm
`

Blimey. It's a tough nut to crack.
Salpow must have got the info from somewhere.

It has to be written somewhere in the rules and regs.

Perhaps email Nick Chandler [email protected]. He used to be involved in the EWRB safety tests and maybe still is. He just might know off the top of his head.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bless you Bevs

will email him now!

and we will buy you a coffe when we come over in 9 weeks!

Anna