Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrcian Job Prospects

Electrcian Job Prospects

Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrcian Job Prospects

Only my opinion ... But if they cant get kiwi sparks then they cant cut the shortage list thats just stupid. theres plenty of jobs out there if you just look , theres always loads on np and i know my hubbys work are crying out for sparks there on 32 an hour plus (hubby on 36) he loves his job , a far cry from running his own business oh yea and overtime is optional ( hubby doesnt do any)

We were wanting papamoa at first but came here for the work , thank god as our friend from papamoa has just had to move to hamilton for work after 4 months of looking in papamoa.... they dont think the recession going to hit np quite as bad as rest of nz as its a huge oil and gas industry so plenty of work if you want it
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
has anyone noticed how much the hourly rates has dropped in just one week!

Last week I rang Drake last friday about a job they had in Christchurch, (better not say anything derogatory about CH after some previous posts - obviously the southern sense of humor doesn't extend to self deprecation). Anyway meter reading job and I was offered $25 p/h.

Not being funny here folks, but 30 years experience/registered sparky-inspector doing meter reading - hey ho. Anyway called them yesterday and the rate has fallen to $22. Same job, same company DIFFERENT WAGE. now go figure.

Anyone else come across this?
Are things really starting to get that bad??????????? company i work for in uk, are looking at going from hourly rate to salary, less overtime, long and short is that you get paid less.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Electrician Job Prospects

As you know, my husband is a plumber. His working hours have been cut and we go from week to week as to whether or not a job will remain there for him. The company have already set off 2/3 plumbers , an adult apprentice & their admin person. That's half the work force

I can quite see that if he loses this job but is lucky enough to find other work, then his hourly rate will be a lot less than he is on at present.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 6:41 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I've stopped looking for another job because I know I won't have a cat's chance of getting a job (at least the ones that are well paid) over a Kiwi. I don't actually mind because if the roles were reversed most people would do the same and my present job is safe enough anyway. I might feel differently if I was out of work and on the receiving end of it though.