Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrcian Job Prospects

Electrcian Job Prospects

Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Denise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to all
Default Electrcian Job Prospects

Hi All

We have started the long torturous process that is PR (I just hate the waiting!). Neither of us has a job offer yet.

We have been keeping an eye on the main job websites, Trademe and Seek, and also have contacted a few Recruitment Agencies. I'm probably worrying too much, but I am beginning to get concerned that there may not be work for Rob as an electrician, despite it being on the LTSSL. There seems to be loads of accountancy work for me, but I had planned to continue part-time while the kids are small. If he can't get work then that wouldn't be an option.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, has any one got any views on the job market for electricians. We are looking to come over as soon as PR is granted, hopefully within the next 6 months.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrcian Job Prospects

Originally Posted by Denise44 View Post
Hi All

We have started the long torturous process that is PR (I just hate the waiting!). Neither of us has a job offer yet.

We have been keeping an eye on the main job websites, Trademe and Seek, and also have contacted a few Recruitment Agencies. I'm probably worrying too much, but I am beginning to get concerned that there may not be work for Rob as an electrician, despite it being on the LTSSL. There seems to be loads of accountancy work for me, but I had planned to continue part-time while the kids are small. If he can't get work then that wouldn't be an option.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, has any one got any views on the job market for electricians. We are looking to come over as soon as PR is granted, hopefully within the next 6 months.

Hi,

Wouldn't worry about it i know it gets to you, i guess oh is working in uk currently, have you tried just cold calling electricians, with e-mails and c.v, has he applied for any jobs on web sites, see if you can register for priority one who are regonal devopment for bay of plenty, just get as many people to read your details someone will say yes. try www.nzs.com look up electricans, or do search on net for electricans in nz, or find regonal devolment agencies for area's.

don't give up some one will offer him something.

hope it helps

j.j.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:17 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to burst jjthefridge bubble but the building industry in nz is all but on the floor. When I came here 3 years ago I have 3 firm job offers in writing and 5 leads. Now ! Well your looking at all the right sites - keep going. Auckland and Christchurch seem to have jobs - if living in a big city is your bag then go for it.

In my town, small town I admit, there is just one new build going on, ONE ! and that is McDonalds !
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:39 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjthefridge
have you tried just cold calling electricians, with e-mails and c.v, has he applied for any jobs on web sites, see if you can register for priority one who are regonal devopment for bay of plenty, just get as many people to read your details someone will say yes. try www.nzs.com look up electricans, or do search on net for electricans in nz, or find regonal devolment agencies for area's.

don't give up some one will offer him something.
Originally Posted by sparkie down under
the building industry in nz is all but on the floor. When I came here 3 years ago I have 3 firm job offers in writing and 5 leads. Now ! Well your looking at all the right sites - keep going. Auckland and Christchurch seem to have jobs - if living in a big city is your bag then go for it.

In my town, small town I admit, there is just one new build going on, ONE ! and that is McDonalds !
I agree with both the above posts. My husband is a plumber . We've been here for nearly 5 years now.He had over 7 job offers before we even arrived here 2004. Now he is extremely worried for his job & if he loses it, it is unlikely he will pick up another job without having to travel to a major city i.e. Christchurch /Auckland etc. We live outside of a small city called Nelson. Building work is virtually at a complete standstill. Maintenance work is still around but it will also slow as recession bites deeper.

Having said the above, at the present time the trades are still on the shortages lists which indicates that there are vacancies around which can't be filled here in NZ, so as JJthefridge says, you should just keep trying. Just bear in mind that it is recession.

A gasfitter that posts to here , Riverside, has lost one job offer and had another put on hold because of the recession. Big problemo for him and his PR application which could possibly fall through.

I will be very interested to see just what happens to the shortages lists at the next review.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:40 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard on the radio that Oz has cut back by 35% the skilled migration for the next few years but NZ HASN'T (yet), so get a job offer - quick
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Wholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really nice

I sent you a PM, work right now is 50/50 for us sparkies.
I know a lot of guys that have been laid off recently in the trade, but at the same time i still see positions vacant, so some companies doing better than others.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sparkie down under View Post
Just heard on the radio that Oz has cut back by 35% the skilled migration for the next few years but NZ HASN'T (yet), so get a job offer - quick
Yep, I heard that. I read today that a couple of the trade unions are saying that if there have to be redundancies then it should be people on work visas rather than Kiwis, and that the Government should be cutting back on the number of skilled visas to protect Kiwi jobs.

I think it was in the NZ Herald... but cannot find the damn page now...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Denise44 View Post
Hi All

Hi denise 44
We were in a similar position to you just before xmas, my wife was then offered a job as a teacher and we packed everything up and we are now in nz. We got residency today, but it has been an up hill battle. We had to get a work visa to start with that the kids could go to school and the wife would be paid. I thought that work would not be a problem as i have worked as a farmer and as an electrican in the uk. The recession and the drop in the milk payout here has ment that jobs are few and far between. The news showed last night that kiwis are moving back as the econmic downturn in the world means they are losing there jobs. I don't mean to be the prophet of doom but make sure you have a job before you get here.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:13 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

My first job here was with a fairly big electrical company and I still have a friend there so keep fairly up to date on the job market. Their projects division is being kept afloat by the maintenance side but they have let people go.

Denise, the solution might be for you to be the main earner as an accountant for a while - until things pick up again???
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Denise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to allDenise44 is a name known to all

Thanks Wholehog for the PM. Have acted on your advice, lets wait and see.

Batty,

You may be right about me having to be the main earner. I'm a bit reluctant because Rob is quite a shy character (unlike me) so would benefit from being in work to settle in and meet people. I don't really see him doing coffee with the Mums he meets at the school gate
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
Yep, I heard that. I read today that a couple of the trade unions are saying that if there have to be redundancies then it should be people on work visas rather than Kiwis, and that the Government should be cutting back on the number of skilled visas to protect Kiwi jobs.

Hi,

Surely the goverment is getting people over because nz doesn't have the skilled people, to fill the jobs, i know where i've been in contact with employers, they want fridgeys now, i'm not in a position to go yet.

so if they cut back on skilled visa's doesn't that that when things pick, they'll be crying out for people again as there won't be anything like enough skilled people in nz. What's the score with making visa holders redundent with respect to benefits??????????
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jjthefridge View Post
Hi,

Surely the goverment is getting people over because nz doesn't have the skilled people, to fill the jobs, i know where i've been in contact with employers, they want fridgeys now, i'm not in a position to go yet.
The issue is that this may be, for a while, past tense. There is a great deal of concern here that the economy is starting to slow down. The PM, John Key, held a grand summit a couple of weeks ago to look in to what can be done to keep the economy on the straight and narrow and to thus avoid major redundancies.

so if they cut back on skilled visa's doesn't that that when things pick, they'll be crying out for people again as there won't be anything like enough skilled people in nz.
More than likely. But short term it may keep some people in jobs, at least that appears to be the theory.
What's the score with making visa holders redundent with respect to benefits??????????
Can't help you with that one, you'll need someone more expert than me!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:24 am
Who loves you, baby?

Hi Denise44 (and the rest of you)

Talking with someone this morning about the current job position, (and mine), and why it is I'm getting bugger all and he suggested (????) it's a kiwi thing. Keep it in the family so to speak. In other words Kiwi's only-no immigrants!

Don't know! Could be right, might be wrong. One's thing is for sure, once you seem to put PR on any application you seem to go to the bottom of the pile (at the moment).

Same person by the way (kiwi) agrees with the cut back on the skilled shortage list. His words, "our boys need jobs just as much as any immigrant"

Something to think about hey.

Anyone else out there getting the same sort of vibe?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:34 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
I read today that a couple of the trade unions are saying that if there have to be redundancies then it should be people on work visas rather than Kiwis, and that the Government should be cutting back on the number of skilled visas to protect Kiwi jobs.

I couldn't find an article about that either, however I did find one which quotes John Key ref skilled migrants.

HERE
March 18th
However, New Zealand, in recession for the past year, has no plans to reduce its intake of 45,000 skilled migrants a year, Prime Minister John Key said.

"New Zealand needs skilled migrants to grow," he told reporters.

Originally Posted by sparky down under
Talking with someone this morning about the current job position, (and mine), and why it is I'm getting bugger all and he suggested (????) it's a kiwi thing. Keep it in the family so to speak. In other words Kiwi's only-no immigrants!
<snip>

Anyone else out there getting the same sort of vibe?
My husband and I have had much the same conversation .
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:04 pm
Who loves you, baby?

has anyone noticed how much the hourly rates has dropped in just one week!

Last week I rang Drake last friday about a job they had in Christchurch, (better not say anything derogatory about CH after some previous posts - obviously the southern sense of humor doesn't extend to self deprecation). Anyway meter reading job and I was offered $25 p/h.

Not being funny here folks, but 30 years experience/registered sparky-inspector doing meter reading - hey ho. Anyway called them yesterday and the rate has fallen to $22. Same job, same company DIFFERENT WAGE. now go figure.

Anyone else come across this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.