Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Election over What does it all mean???

Election over What does it all mean???

Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future
Default Election over What does it all mean???

well the NZ election i now over from what i hear it was a close run thing, so what does it all mean, will the country degrade into termoil as having a hung government can't really be good.
Any expats or NZders in the country got a feel of Whats going to happen and the mood of the people.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election over What does it all mean???

Originally Posted by MV5555
well the NZ election i now over from what i hear it was a close run thing, so what does it all mean, will the country degrade into termoil as having a hung government can't really be good.
Any expats or NZders in the country got a feel of Whats going to happen and the mood of the people.
Just been reading it myself, doesn't look good does it?

Final result in a couple of weeks (special votes still to come in).

Watch this space with interest.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10346147

Last edited by planty; Sep 18th 2005 at 7:47 am. Reason: putting in the link
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

England Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election over What does it all mean???

TBH I don't think it means much, just that the gap between national and Labour has got even less.
When the special votes are counted up (October 1st/2nd?) then it's likely that National will lose a seat and Greens will gain one (will put Nandor back in parliament - dreadlocked pot smoking hippy).
Labour will then hold at least 50, if they get greens on side (possible) then that will take it to 56/57 maybe. They still need 61 seats to hold a Government and if they team up with Maori (4 electorate seats) then they will get that.

I personally don't think the country will go into turmoil. There was a coalition parliament last time round (Progressive teamed up with Labour and it's leader Jim Anderton was in cabinet) and Greens voted with Labour without making a coalition official.

At the end of the day Labour want skilled migrants and they're going to keep wanting skilled migrants until they can sort out the crippling student loans and lack of opportunity that drives so many of its own talented workers away.

And if anyone cares, in my electorate National won the seat by 10,000 votes and got the party vote, even though it used to be a Green party stronghold (not how I voted though so hopefully my vote may count for something when it's counted!).