Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Elderly parent travelling to nz ?

Elderly parent travelling to nz ?

Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:43 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elderly parent travelling to nz ?

We have been in nz over 9 years and in that time I have been back to Poole 3 times to see family , and since my father passed away in April this year me old mum who is 79 has decided she wants to visit us ? Thrilled as we are , who do we talk to airline wise to get her help at airports and on plane ect ? She uses sticks to get about because of hip replacements , but is quite mobile.
If we can't send our daughter back so she could travel back to nz with her nan , we hope there is something in place to support elderly people to travel this far ?

Any one else had parents travel this far?
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly parent travelling to nz ?

If you contact the airline(s) in advance they can normally assist to some degree but any health matters/ concerns should also be taken into consideration and mentioned also.
You should start with her GP to determine if she is indeed "fit to fly" and then also on such a long stint.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
We have been in nz over 9 years and in that time I have been back to Poole 3 times to see family , and since my father passed away in April this year me old mum who is 79 has decided she wants to visit us ? Thrilled as we are , who do we talk to airline wise to get her help at airports and on plane ect ? She uses sticks to get about because of hip replacements , but is quite mobile.
If we can't send our daughter back so she could travel back to nz with her nan , we hope there is something in place to support elderly people to travel this far ?

Assuming that as the other poster said, she is ok to fly, contact the airline directly and explain exactly how mobile she is andthey should be able to sort out wheelchair assistance - that is usually available from checkin, right to the aircraft doors, and if necessary even as far as the seat. She would also be given wheelchair assistance during any stops, they bring the chair to the aircraft door for her, and they will usually help with luggage as well.
Even if she is mobile with sticks, I'd recommend getting wheelchair assistance as it makes life a lot easier - no pressure to rush between gates, and much less stressful than having to negotiate escalaters etc with walking sticks.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

My mother aged 83 travelled from the UK to Brisbane on 'Assisted Passage'. She was assisted (in a wheelchair) to get on the plane, during a refueling stop in Singapore and when it arrived in Brisbane she was wheeled out through the arrival lounge to us. My mum was able to walk but needed assistance to negotiate the journey. She was also a nervous type of person but managed this huge journey remarkably well.

My advice is to chose a 'good' airline.

She will love seeing where you live and enjoying some family time.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:52 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to think about how well she can manage the plane loos - check the airline you are thinking of flying with has grab rails, etc.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:24 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks , for the replies.

I think we will have to call airline direct and see what's what ? Mums still quite mobile so should be ok and those A380 planes are huge , so she can move about a bit to keep her hip from giving her gip.

January is her month and we hope that this time of year will be better weather like most years , so we can take her to Milford sound , Te anau , queenstown and other southern delights.

I'm sure it would be her first and last trip to nz , so we want it to be special , with a tiki tour of otago and southland scenery.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I think we will have to call airline direct and see what's what ? Mums still quite mobile so should be ok and those A380 planes are huge , so she can move about a bit to keep her hip from giving her gip.

January is her month and we hope that this time of year will be better weather like most years , so we can take her to Milford sound , Te anau , queenstown and other southern delights.

I'm sure it would be her first and last trip to nz , so we want it to be special , with a tiki tour of otago and southland scenery.
Is your mum paying for her own ticket? Were you going to pay for your daughter to travel over and back? If yes why not shop around and use that money to upgrade her to BC. An option worth looking at, particularly if you shop around. Makes the journey more comfortable for her as well
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to call the airline. They are the ones that will put the notes in her booking and ensure that the assistance is there at each airport.

Who is she flying with?
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Esme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really niceEsme61 is just really nice

We brought my father in law (83 at time) to visit our daughter in Auckland last Xmas we booked flight only Finn air/ Air NZ via Helsinki and Hong Kong, no stopovers through Trailfinders UK - we told them we needed assistance and they arranged it, although he can walk short distances it was a god send in HKong - met at the plane, whisked through to the front for boarding passes etc and taken to the gate - she left us at the gate and came back to help board 30 mins later. It was so easy for us in the airport just had to keep up with the wheelchair tho!
Old Oct 6th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

When you book her a ticket, it should come up with special assistance required - tick yes

I thoroughly recommend you DO NOT book her on Air New Zealand via Los Angeles. My Nan came over aged 78 and after visiting the airport when in New York recently, I can understand why

The best airlines to target are the Asian airlines (apologies to the easily offended). Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Korean or Malaysian Airlines tend to be a lot more customer orientated. She'd have a far better experience with those, they'll treat her like royal .
Old Oct 6th 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore airlines every time!! And yes, if at all possible Business Class
Old Oct 7th 2014, 5:48 am
Dorset to Dunedin

I agree with Singapore airlines , best I've travelled on ay?

We were looking at sending our daughter back , but might look at using the money for treats and excursions in nz , so want to do a flight over fiordland .

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

You might also have to shop around for travel insurance.
Old Oct 7th 2014, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

As mentioned by others:

Comprehensive travel insurance is a MUST
Which airline are you looking at, maybe able to help point in the right direction, as to links etc for "special assistance" etc.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:03 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Woohoo , just found out today my mum and sister are coming out in January for 3 weeks woohoo , both have never been to nz omg so excited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.