Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Eighth Christmas in NZ....

Eighth Christmas in NZ....

Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Eighth Christmas in NZ....

Yippee ay woop de doo another Christmas spent rotting in my in-laws front room watching sodding horse racing and listening to my father in law continually tell me how much better New Zealand is than Australia/England/insert any other country here, or telling me about my job: "You computer people....all you seem to do all day is send each other jokes back and forward....farming is the most important job in the world as you can't live without food......blah blah blah"

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

BB
Old Dec 20th 2010, 3:03 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eighth Christmas in NZ....

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yippee ay woop de doo another Christmas spent rotting in my in-laws front room watching sodding horse racing and listening to my father in law continually tell me how much better New Zealand is than Australia/England/insert any other country here, or telling me about my job: "You computer people....all you seem to do all day is send each other jokes back and forward....farming is the most important job in the world as you can't live without food......blah blah blah"

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

BB
Give us his address and we'll send him this post........
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You have my deepest sympathy Buzzy-Bee.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:53 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Wanna do a swap? Your Christmas sounds so much more fun

You can sit in my inlaws' front room watching cricket and listening to my father in law say well nothing at all ever and I really do mean ever I think he has some sort of inbuilt dial that limits him to 20 words per day, maybe he spontaneously combusts if he exceeds the limit? It's amazing how oppressive silence can be, the sound of a ticking clock, the sound of ball on bat, the incessant flies buzzing around and waiting, waiting, waiting for the time to do something exciting like peel spuds
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:05 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Eighth Christmas in NZ....

Originally Posted by Persephone
Wanna do a swap? Your Christmas sounds so much more fun

You can sit in my inlaws' front room watching cricket and listening to my father in law say well nothing at all ever and I really do mean ever I think he has some sort of inbuilt dial that limits him to 20 words per day, maybe he spontaneously combusts if he exceeds the limit? It's amazing how oppressive silence can be, the sound of a ticking clock, the sound of ball on bat, the incessant flies buzzing around and waiting, waiting, waiting for the time to do something exciting like peel spuds
It is my opinion that men who say nothing have been made like that by their wives!

BB
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You both have my deepest sympathy.

In past years I have sat in the Smother-in-laws lounge for hours upon endless dreary hours listening politely to the same topics of conversation over and over that I have already heard during the past 18 years . Nothing happening. Nothing to do. Husband retreated to page turning copies of the Express and Star.
Eyes slowly crossing . Counting the patterns on the wallpaper. Going numb. Losing the will to live.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 21st 2010 at 9:29 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be getting pissed and watching whatever i want on my massive telly
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us would love the opportunity to be with family over Christmas..... in-laws, out-laws, warts and all. It's our 8th Christmas in NZ and you really don't appreciate it all until you don't have that extended family get together on Xmas day.

Gill
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It is my opinion that men who say nothing have been made like that by their wives!

BB
Ah, blame the woman! Unfortunately no woman around to cause it in his case

Originally Posted by BEVS
You both have my deepest sympathy.

In past years I have sat in the Smother-in-laws lounge for hours upon endless dreary hours listening politely to the same topics of conversation over and over that I have already heard during the past 18 years . Nothing happening. Nothing to do. Husband retreated to page turning copies of the Express and Star.
Eyes slowly crossing . Counting the patterns on the wallpaper. Going numb. Losing the will to live.
Yes I sit there trying to make conversation and not getting anywhere until I have to admit defeat and give up. I now stick to the tried and tested- the weather and how the journey was which keeps us going for ooh a good minute. I then end up wondering how long I have to be there before it looks rude to open a book and just start reading...OH walks in and starts reading straight away I just can't bring myself to do that.

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I shall be getting pissed and watching whatever i want on my massive telly
Thanks, rub it in why don't you! I will not be getting pissed, that could lead to all sorts of embarrassing flashbacks the next day as the alcohol decides that honesty is the best policy Besides they don't do alcohol.

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Some of us would love the opportunity to be with family over Christmas..... in-laws, out-laws, warts and all. It's our 8th Christmas in NZ and you really don't appreciate it all until you don't have that extended family get together on Xmas day.

Gill
Good point. I would love to be with my family and tend to realise what I'm missing out on at this time of year more than any other. I also wish my in laws were people that I wanted to spend time with
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:02 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

BB
He's right though isn't he?
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:18 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in Europe we choose whether or not we spent Christmas with my family. Sometimes we did, sometimes we went over on Boxing Day. No dramas. Here it's a whole different ball game. We HAVE to spend it with my inlaws. We'd have to leave the city to get out of it. I say it every year (when it's too late)..... NEXT YEAR!