Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Eight months in NZ

Eight months in NZ

Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eight months in NZ

I've just had a look on the NZ forum and found that there seem to be lots of new people I don't know- welcome to the forum!

We moved to Tauranga area last October and spent 2 months in a Bach at the Mt . before moving into our house in Omokoroa. We have settled here and enjoy the views of the harbour, stunning sunsets and walks on the beach each day.
We have been careful about grocery shopping and found we can live on the budget we've set ourselves. Electricity- after the first bill shock we've been turning lights off, but the bill went up a bit last month and we're not sure if it's the dehumidifier or the heating system that I'm turning on for a few hours each evening.
I visited friends in Melbourne in May and shopped till I dropped in the huge Malls in the suburbs. There's not much choice in Tauranga and Hamilton & shops are 11/2 hrs away.
My latest news is that I have a job - at last I've found something I can do. Having been very disappointed that the Dip in childcare uk. is not enough to work in a nursery here (a degree in Early childhood yrs is now required )I'm working in a primary school as a T.A alongside a girl with Down's syndrome, a boy with Aspergers and 3 other special needs children in a class of 5 yr olds. I have also been told I could possibly take on some private tutoring of Dyslexic children from the school as I have a teaching qualification in that.
The money is not good but at least I'm using some of my skills.
My OH has been teaching English at The Mount language school on a casual basis but there are only a few students during the winter months so that work has dried up and he is working P/T as a consultant for a fire and security company (his previous career).
Our daughter is enjoying her time at college in Wellington and our son only has a yr left at uni in UK before he comes here to live.
The neighbours have been very friendly and so have the church. We met some lovely people at the 'Relating well in NZ' course that was held in Tauranga- it was a very useful course to do and it was free!
I joined a gym and hubby joined the local golf club, both have been great ways to meet local people.
The library is good. The cinemas run the latest films, the video shop hires the latest dvds. There are a few good programmes on TV. it's not as bad as I thought it would be, although the adverts every 7 mins drive me nuts! We've solved that buy buying a dvd recorder so we can watch programmes later and fast forward the adverts.
There is still a lot of the area to visit, walkways and beaches to discover, I don't think we will be bored any time soon. If I get Island fever I'll take another trip to my friends in Melbourne
This my view of life in the Bay of Plenty after 8 months here, it's not paradise, but we are happy and relaxed not stressed out any more!
Helen
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:09 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Eight months in NZ

We moved to Tauranga area last October and spent 2 months in a Bach at the Mt . before moving into our house in Omokoroa. We have settled here and enjoy the views of the harbour, stunning sunsets and walks on the beach each day.

Congratulations on your Job Helen. I don't think you have done the views from your home justice, they are spectacularlly stunning and made all the more so by the warmth of yourself and Peter.

Have you checked out the Cinema thread in meet ups, are you able to go if suitable time and day?

I'm off to Mount Ruapehu in July for 4 nights.

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helinuk
I've just had a look on the NZ forum and found that there seem to be lots of new people I don't know- welcome to the forum!

We have been careful about grocery shopping and found we can live on the budget we've set ourselves. Electricity- after the first bill shock we've been turning lights off, but the bill went up a bit last month and we're not sure if it's the dehumidifier or the heating system that I'm turning on for a few hours each evening.
I visited friends in Melbourne in May and shopped till I dropped in the huge Malls in the suburbs. There's not much choice in Tauranga and Hamilton & shops are 11/2 hrs away.
My latest news is that I have a job - at last I've found something I can do. Having been very disappointed that the Dip in childcare uk. is not enough to work in a nursery here (a degree in Early childhood yrs is now required )I'm working in a primary school as a T.A alongside a girl with Down's syndrome, a boy with Aspergers and 3 other special needs children in a class of 5 yr olds. I have also been told I could possibly take on some private tutoring of Dyslexic children from the school as I have a teaching qualification in that.
My OH has been teaching English at The Mount language school on a casual basis but there are only a few students during the winter months so that work has dried up and he is working P/T as a consultant for a fire and security company (his previous career).
Our daughter is enjoying her time at college in Wellington and our son only has a yr left at uni in UK before he comes here to live.
The neighbours have been very friendly and so have the church. We met some lovely people at the 'Relating well in NZ' course that was held in Tauranga- it was a very useful course to do and it was free!
I joined a gym and hubby joined the local golf club, both have been great ways to meet local people.
The library is good. The cinemas run the latest films, the video shop hires the latest dvds. There are a few good programmes on TV. it's not as bad as I thought it would be, although the adverts every 7 mins drive me nuts! We've solved that buy buying a dvd recorder so we can watch programmes later and fast forward the adverts.
There is still a lot of the area to visit, walkways and beaches to discover, I don't think we will be bored any time soon. If I get Island fever I'll take another trip to my friends in Melbourne
This my view of life in the Bay of Plenty after 8 months here, it's not paradise, but we are happy and relaxed not stressed out any more!
Helen
Helen, thankyou for a lovely insight into Tauranga. The BOP is somewhere, although we have never visited, that we have taken a shine too and would hopefully like to settle in. Alot though will depends on work for hubby, hes thinking of applying to Laser Electrical for a job for when we arrive. Could I ask how long to get to Auckland? It's so difficult to judge a size of a place name and distance to the city. It sounds really lovely, even with the rising costs!! Cant wait to come and see it for ourselves.
Chris
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your Job Helen. I don't think you have done the views from your home justice, they are spectacularlly stunning and made all the more so by the warmth of yourself and Peter.

Have you checked out the Cinema thread in meet ups, are you able to go if suitable time and day?

Pauline[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pauline
I'll at the thread re cinema meet up.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alchris
Helen, thankyou for a lovely insight into Tauranga. The BOP is somewhere, although we have never visited, that we have taken a shine too and would hopefully like to settle in. Alot though will depends on work for hubby, hes thinking of applying to Laser Electrical for a job for when we arrive. Could I ask how long to get to Auckland? It's so difficult to judge a size of a place name and distance to the city. It sounds really lovely, even with the rising costs!! Cant wait to come and see it for ourselves.
Chris
Hi Chris
It takes us 2 1/4- 2 1/2 hrs to get to Auckland airport from here in Omokoroa so I guess at 3 hrs for the city centre.
good luck with your move.
Helen
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk

Helen
What a lovely story Helen. It must be lovely to be working with children. Congrats and all that. I am still avidly looking for a job but cannot seem to get a foot on the ladder here. Arrrggghhhh Have yet another interview next week so keeping my fingers crossed.

I am getting quite taken with the North Island stories although I feel the housing will be a lot dearer than down here in the South.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:28 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirl
What a lovely story Helen. It must be lovely to be working with children. Congrats and all that. I am still avidly looking for a job but cannot seem to get a foot on the ladder here. Arrrggghhhh Have yet another interview next week so keeping my fingers crossed.

I am getting quite taken with the North Island stories although I feel the housing will be a lot dearer than down here in the South.
Congratulations on the job Helen, that sounds ideal.

Great update, so glad things are going well and you are all happy. Hopefully see you soon. XXX
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Helen (and Peter)

Only eight months, it seems like we have known you forever. The school, have made a fantastic choice!

We really must catch up.

Liz
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
Helen (and Peter)

Only eight months, it seems like we have known you forever. The school, have made a fantastic choice!

We really must catch up.

Liz
Hi Shirl, thanks and good luck with your job hunting.

Thanks am loolah and Liz
Seems ages since I saw you both, would love to catch up.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:17 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Thats a lovely 8 months in story, well-done H, Hope all is well with your job, will chat soon.