Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Eee when I were a lass....

Eee when I were a lass....

Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eee when I were a lass....

Originally Posted by howden40
When the weather was bad we did 'scraps', carrying loads of books around with scraps, swapping.
I forgot all about scraps!!! I used to have books upon books ,especially the cherubs all different sizes I also remember trying to do a handstand against the wall or going into the crab position( God I was so much more flexible then) My 2 boys laughed at me the other night as I tried to show them how to play balls against our wall with 2 tennis balls....was crap at it,just need more practice

Phyllis
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:02 pm
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

Lol i taught my neices how to play with two tennis balls against the walls, in the end my sister and i had so much fin remembering the songs we use to sing to it, my neices didnt really get a look in but they got the hang of it and play it now i think.
My poor boys only home baking they get comes right out of a Betty Crocker box
Old Jun 13th 2008, 7:48 pm
Buzzy Bee Mad

Beetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of lightBeetrooper is a glorious beacon of light

'Scraps' I thought that these where the bits of batter that came off when you cooked the fish at the chippy.
When I were a lass - for a treat we where allowed to go to the chippy for a bag of chips and scraps and if mum was feeling flush a patty as well.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:26 pm
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

we use to call them gribbles lol tastiest bit of our chippy dinner
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:29 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beetrooper
'Scraps' I thought that these where the bits of batter that came off when you cooked the fish at the chippy.
When I were a lass - for a treat we where allowed to go to the chippy for a bag of chips and scraps and if mum was feeling flush a patty as well.
Yes we also called the bit of batter that dropped off when the fish was frying scraps, definitely the best bit about going to the chippy.

Scraps was also a collection, although some areas called this 'swops'.

Might just bring this thread back around November/December after it's gone quiet.

Pauline
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:06 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Ham Sandwiches and Fruit Cocktail with Carnation milk for tea on a Sunday, unless we had visitors then we got Arctic Roll
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Ham Sandwiches and Fruit Cocktail with Carnation milk for tea on a Sunday, unless we had visitors then we got Arctic Roll
We used to have carnation milk and fruit salad on sundays too, must be a black country thing

Milk chocolate digestives where our sunday night treat
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:45 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my mother telling me I would get worms if I ate raw cake mixture.

nice. my mother wasn't above lying to me obviously.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:54 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Actually other thing I remember is a game called spread.

Apparently it has other names. Because I am too lazy to type it out this is copied and pasted from a blog from 2001. Also known as mumbledy peg and split. We actually played the split the kipper version. my mother was so pleased to see us playing the game with her silverware (so much nicer than some ratty old pocketknife).

From wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety_peg

Mumblety peg, also known as mumblepeg and mumble-the-peg, is an old game generally played between two people with the aid of a pocket knife. In one version of the game, two opponents stand opposite one another with their feet shoulder-width apart. The first player then takes the knife and throws it to "stick" in the ground as near their own foot as possible. The second player then repeats the process. Whichever player "sticks" the knife closest to their own foot wins the game.

If a player "sticks" the knife in their own foot they win the game by default, although few players find this option appealing. Because of the possibility of bodily harm, the game combines not only precision in the knife-throwing but also a good deal of bravado and proper assessment of one's own skills.

A variant of mumblety peg has evolved as a drinking game where several matches of mumblety peg are played successively, at the end of each the loser must take a penalty—generally taking a shot of alcohol. Consequently, the precision with which the knife is thrown often decreases as the game progresses. Whichever player backs away from the game first would be declared the loser.

Another variant of the game called Split or Split the Kipper involves each player throwing the knife at the other player - that player must move only one foot to where the knife lands, leaving the other planted. They bend down and pick up the knife, leaving their feet planted. The object is get the other player's legs far apart (in a "Split") so that they cannot move their feet to the knife without becoming unbalanced. No part of the body except the feet are allowed to touch the ground at any time.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:48 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I remember my mother telling me I would get worms if I ate raw cake mixture.

nice. my mother wasn't above lying to me obviously.

Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:08 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

What a lovely thread, so many memories to relate to. I was a 70's child, I lived in small hamlett in Cwll, only 6 houses. There were 5 of us about the same age, we had lots of fun together, lots of cricket, tennis up against our uneven granite walls of our house, cowboys and indians, camps and camp fires, seeing who would go furthest into woods after dark, boogie lane, we called it!!
My dad made us a dilly nd we would go miles, all 5 of us, 1 at back as breaks, we would go down through woods to Lanhydrock house and then home via the road, all so innocently, never any fear.
We had a rayburn, and i remember Sunday bath night, getting all dry infront of it. mums cooking was lovely, i have always loved her stew and dumplings, pastys (with milk trickled on) and homemade fish cakes and chips on Saturday dinnertimes infront of Football focus, with that guy with the big chin, was it jimmy Hill ??
Going to school all together in a taxi, being known as the "country kids". Thinking that living in the town was sooooo amazing, how i wanted to be there, finally did move into town when i was about 14, loved it then, but always missed where I had come from.
Snow in the winters and snowball fights, sledging on bread trays.
Gorgeous fizzy orange and lemon drinks my dad used to get off the foreign ships, he was a docker at Fowey docks.
Lots of beach in the summer, egg sarnies and milky coffee in flasks and some of mums buns.
Gosh I've prattled on, but its lovely remembering it all. I loved my childhood, my childrens childhood has been so different, but we've tried to make it as enjoyable in all sorts of different ways.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

What about Jacks & Dobbers, Kick out Ball, Queenie, Piggy, Marbles, What time is it Mr Wolf. What about boggies (the ones with wheels one) often made out of an old pram etc.

About once a week we met in someone's house and made treacle toffee. Everyone had to raid their Mum's larder ie butter, sugar, treacle/syrup and funnily enough it always seemed to turn out right even though we just threw everything we could muster into the pan.

Then we would sit listening to records on the wind up gramophone. His Masters Voice with the little dog.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
What about Jacks & Dobbers, Kick out Ball, Queenie, Piggy, Marbles, What time is it Mr Wolf. What about boggies (the ones with wheels one) often made out of an old pram etc.

About once a week we met in someone's house and made treacle toffee. Everyone had to raid their Mum's larder ie butter, sugar, treacle/syrup and funnily enough it always seemed to turn out right even though we just threw everything we could muster into the pan.

Then we would sit listening to records on the wind up gramophone. His Masters Voice with the little dog.
French elastics? Camping in the garden? Flares (the trousers not a distress signal.) Monsters under the bed? Supporting Arsenal because my older brother supported Liverpool in the FA Cup Final? Same brother making me get up at 6am every morning during the school holidays when I was about 6 or 7 to "train" me for the Summer Olympics round the garden where he'd set up a kind of assault course with garden furniture. But he did have the good grace to award me milk bottle tops on a ribbon as medals! And being made to eat stuffed marrow too!!