Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Education and temporary work permit

Education and temporary work permit

Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

pommipalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education and temporary work permit

Hi can anyway give me a bit of free advice - if I come to New Zealand on a visitors visa, get a job offer and gain a temporary work permit , what is the situation regards state education. I have 2 children of school age so they will need to go to school. Do I have to pay towards their education. When we were on a temporary visa in Oz we had to pay fees - I am wondering if this is the same in NZ. Also does the year run Jan to Dec - thanks guys for the help
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education and temporary work permit

Originally Posted by pommipalmer
Hi can anyway give me a bit of free advice - if I come to New Zealand on a visitors visa, get a job offer and gain a temporary work permit , what is the situation regards state education. I have 2 children of school age so they will need to go to school. Do I have to pay towards their education. When we were on a temporary visa in Oz we had to pay fees - I am wondering if this is the same in NZ. Also does the year run Jan to Dec - thanks guys for the help

Hi,
We came out as visitors, husband got a job and so we applied for workpermits for us and study permits for our 3 kids.
Once they have their study permits which last as long as your work permit schooling is free.
Be aware though that we all pay for school books here, pens and pencils.

Hope that helps

Carole
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Carole thanks for the reply - sorry to go on but you say we applied for work permits - does that mean once your other half has a workpermit - there spouse can get one as well or did you both have to have job offers - many thanks
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommipalmer
Carole thanks for the reply - sorry to go on but you say we applied for work permits - does that mean once your other half has a workpermit - there spouse can get one as well or did you both have to have job offers - many thanks
Hi,

My husband had the job offer and so applied for a workpermit. When he recieved that I was allowed to apply off the back of his. He just included a letter with my application stating why I should have a workpermit.
I had no job offer but was allowed a work permit until his ran out.
As soon as our work permits came through I submitted our EOI and we had residency within 6 months.

Hope that helps

Carole
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

thanks carole you have been really helpful
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure you about a temporary work visa and student fees. On a Work to Residence permit or with PR you don't pay international student fees.

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jun 8th 2009 at 8:27 pm. Reason: I'd don't know what internal student fees are or why I would have typed that
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I'm not sure you about a temporary work visa and student fees. On a Work to Residence permit or with PR you don't pay international student fees.
Hi,

Not sure what a temporary work visa is. We got a one year work permit tied to my husbands job after arriving here as visitors. Kids were given study visas for the year and we paid no international fees.

Carole
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think on a 'visitors visa' you would have to pay international student fees but on a 'work visa', you don't.
Under family stream if not going down PR route (for whatever reason), main applicant gets visa tied to actual job (not free to work anywhere) , spouse gets open work visa to work anywhere for same length of time and school age kids get 'student visas' for same length of time.

I personally wouldn't want to come here with family in tow unless appropriate work visa/PR were already in place.