British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Education in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/education-auckland-569453/)

helen roberts Oct 26th 2008 2:39 pm

Education in Auckland

Hi Everyone

Just wondering, does anyone know what the general standard of education is like in and around Auckland? Originally, we were all set to head to Oz but it looks as if a possible job for OH could arise in Auckland, so trying to do some research. We may look to live around the Howick area so as to avoid the congestion I've heard about from the North Shore during key commuting hours. Any suggestions? Are the state schools generally good in NZ or is it best to go private?

Thanks in advance

Helen:)

PS By good, I do not mean the exam factories we have turned many schools into in the UK, but rather schools which offer a well balanced and broad curriculum.

garryhg Oct 26th 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Education in Auckland

Hi we are in the Howick area,we stay Cockle Bay..

We have 1 son 7years old,he is at Cockle Bay School and we really cant fault that school in any way..The work he is doing is far better than back in Scotland,but as you say its not just about the education..

As soon as he goes into school in the morning the kids change into there PE gear(everyday)and come rain or shine they are doing PE,they are good at teaching the kids manners and to have respect for others,the after school clubs and care is excellent..He has become very knowledgable on what going on in the world since starting this school..We find a lot of kiwi schools are good at making the kids good general all rounders..

MY daughter is 14 and at Howick College...I think as the list of top 3 schools in this area goes its..

Mcleans
Pakuranga
Howick college

We chose Howick College because my daughter is very Arty and this is the road she wants to go down,Howick College is known as the best school for this..Having said that my daughter is thriving at school,getting good exam grades and has made loads of friends..

Mc Leans is all about the education..Dont get me wrong its a fantastic School if your child is very clever,but the saying goes around here is that unless your child is very clever Mc Leans just arn't interested in them...they tend to concentrate more on the brighter ones...
Because the standards are so high (in both Education and sports in Mc Leans) your average Joe Bloggs just doesn 't get a look in..

Dont really know much about Pakuranga,sorry..but never heard anything bad about it,so that has to be good ....hope this helps...Jacky

CCGM.IN.NZ Oct 27th 2008 6:44 am

Hi Helen. I have a 17 yr old and a 14 yr old both at Macleans College. They are both doing well at the school (17 year old passed 5 IGCSE's last year and is taking AS levels at the moment) and have made some really nice friends. The College prides itself on excellent academic and sporting achievements but I have to agree with Jacky. They do put far too much emphasis in 'winning' and being the best. My kids are not wizz kids nor do they belong to any of the school teams, but to be honest they seem quite happy to be in the background. The college do seem to offer a varied selection of courses for students to study from years 9 through to year 13 and as well as the NCEA they offer the IGCSE course too. http://www.macleans.school.nz/. One thing Macleans do really well is their Whanau system http://www.macleans.school.nz/whanau/whanau.htm. The whole school is split into 8 houses, a bit like a small school within the bigger school. My two really like this system as they get to know a lot more kids from different years and they all look out for each other. You will find that properties in the zone do tend to be more expensive than elsewhere also and Macleans are very strict with the zoning. I hope this has been useful. Good luck with your decision making. Carol :)

helen roberts Oct 27th 2008 7:40 am

Hi Carol and Jacky

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. High schools are a long way in the future for us as our eldest daughter is only 4 but it's great to think that, in the long term, Auckland could work for us. Are the primary schools also generally of a good standard?

Thanks again for the advice. Hope you're enjoying your life in Auckland! Personally, I can't wait to move on but, like most over here, we're having trouble selling our house.

Helen:)

Jennymckay688 Nov 17th 2008 1:59 am

Most people we speak to here love their kids schools. We have however struggled to find a good one, ( we came from a private school in Scotland). Many of the friends we made here are teachers from all over the world and even they say to go private if you can. They have advised us to go for one teaching the Cambridge System.
Hope this helps.