Education

Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice
Default Education

Hi again,

I am seriously considering applying for a work visa, which I was told by NZIS would entitle the other half to one too, and they told me that the kids would get student visas... but... is education only free if you have residency?? Because I definitely can't afford it if I have to pay for their education x 4

The other option we have been playing with is that one of us apply for a work visa and spend a year or so in NZ, meaning that when we come to make the application for PR, we can add points for having worked/working in NZ. I suggested he go, but he wants me to... thing is, I have never been away from home for any period of time, and I'm not sure that I would be able to do it. He used to be in the army, so I would imagine it would be easier for us both to cope with if he went. Obviously its not ideal, but if it means we would get PR at the end, maybe its a sacrifice worth thinking about?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education

If you have just a work visa, then education is on the same basis as if you have PR or at least for a 3 year work visa it is. Same for hospital treatment. You can't vote though.

Is there no way you can get PR before you come? It would make life much simpler. I wouldn't recommend splitting the family as a means of getting here..the geographical distance makes that a very difficult prospect and could jeopardise all but the most solid relationship i.m.h.o..
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
If you have just a work visa, then education is on the same basis as if you have PR or at least for a 3 year work visa it is. Same for hospital treatment. You can't vote though.

Is there no way you can get PR before you come? It would make life much simpler. I wouldn't recommend splitting the family as a means of getting here..the geographical distance makes that a very difficult prospect and could jeopardise all but the most solid relationship i.m.h.o..
The trouble with PR is that although the hubby is on the ISSL he is not on the LTSSL and his line of work is not classed as skilled, therefore an offer of employment for him would only get us a work visa at least or talent at most, which is highly unlikely as the job (HGV driver) just doesn't pay that much. My job is not on either list, but is classed as skilled employment (office manager, company secretary, any other admin etc etc)... problem there though is that I do not have any formal qualifications and I have not worked in this area for around 6 years, I have instead chose to be a domestic goddess and a mother and we have survived on the hubby's wage and tax credits.

I have no problem going back to work if it helps us get the elusive PR, and until the hubby's line of work is on LTSSL (if it ever does) I think this is the only way to get there. Obviously we are not coming for the money, because ultimately we will be worse off, but the quality of life, the lifestyle change appeals to us, and since I was raised in Germany, the space appeals to me and reminds me a lot of when I was a kid.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

You said that your Oh had been in the army couldnt he look to go that route to just get you there?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by julesnye View Post
You said that your Oh had been in the army couldnt he look to go that route to just get you there?
I don't know how possible that would be... he was medically discharged
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kazmac72 View Post
Hi again,

I am seriously considering applying for a work visa, which I was told by NZIS would entitle the other half to one too, and they told me that the kids would get student visas... but... is education only free if you have residency?? Because I definitely can't afford it if I have to pay for their education x 4
Hi kazmac

If your children are issued with student visas it entitles them to study up till year 13 at school free (if you can call it free, but that's a different thread!). University is a different matter. Until you have PR you are classed as an international student and pay accordingly, 4 times domestic student approx. If this is not an issue then I wouldnt worry about having PR before you come out. We have been here for just over two years on temporary visas and haven't found it a problem at all. We found that we couldn't go on the electoral roll and can't vote, and I have been told that it is more difficult to get a mortgage without PR. These things didnt bother us and now we have PR so all's good
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ View Post
Hi kazmac

If your children are issued with student visas it entitles them to study up till year 13 at school free (if you can call it free, but that's a different thread!). University is a different matter. Until you have PR you are classed as an international student and pay accordingly, 4 times domestic student approx. If this is not an issue then I wouldnt worry about having PR before you come out. We have been here for just over two years on temporary visas and haven't found it a problem at all. We found that we couldn't go on the electoral roll and can't vote, and I have been told that it is more difficult to get a mortgage without PR. These things didnt bother us and now we have PR so all's good
OOh sounds like you are there in similar circumstances to what we may be... tell me more lol.... I need the info.... anything you think might be of use to me

Honestly though.... thanks for that, it is hard getting all of the info together, which is one of the reasons we will be going to the expo, simply to get iit from the horses mouth!!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kazmac72 View Post
OOh sounds like you are there in similar circumstances to what we may be... tell me more lol.... I need the info.... anything you think might be of use to me
I am thinking you are talking about the visa situation. We actually came out here on a Long Term Business Visa, running a business as opposed to getting a job as hubby and I didnt have any of the necessary skills or quals to get here any other way. Worked for us though.

On another note, I have read on here that some people have been really dissapointed with the expos (we never went to one). Hope you can get the answers you are looking for anyway. Failing that there's always here, lots of helpful chaps and chapesses willing to help with the questions. Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

I am thinking you are talking about the visa situation. We actually came out here on a Long Term Business Visa, running a business as opposed to getting a job as hubby and I didnt have any of the necessary skills or quals to get here any other way. Worked for us though.

On another note, I have read on here that some people have been really dissapointed with the expos (we never went to one). Hope you can get the answers you are looking for anyway. Failing that there's always here, lots of helpful chaps and chapesses willing to help with the questions. Good luck
I have heard the expo's aren't all they are cracked up to be either, but hey, its only £15, so it won't break the bank, and if I do learn anything then its got to be worth it in the long run.

With regard to the visa's, I can't see us getting there any other way than via work visas, but my biggest issue was the kids education.... obviously we can't afford thousands every year to school the four of them.... obviously there are some cost involved though.... care to elaborate?? I'd rather be prepared.

We have set a date of October next year as our target for coming over... so the wheels should be set in motion about this time next year, possibly sooner, depending on how much I can save and how quickly I can save it lol.

Looking at going to the Whangarei area because there seems to be a fair bit of industry up that way, and lots of opportunities for the hubby to find work anyway, and want to steer clear of the bigger cities if at all possible, but if thats where the work is, thats where we'll go
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

School costs. Schools ask for 'voluntary donations' every year. They are 'voluntary' and we only pay them when we can afford to. My two teens are both at he same school and the contribution is just under $500 per child, per year . You also have to pay for all the stationery your children will need for the year. Then there's uniforms. No getting cheap shirts and the like in Asda. They are pretty expensive, but thank goodness for the school second hand uniform shop. I have got most of my kids stuff from there. No taboo here about second hand stuff, all the kids wear it. Not everywhere is as expensive as my kids school. Its a particularly sought after school in Auckland, so thats the price I pay I guess. Just make sure you do lots of research on the areas and schools you are looking at.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

School costs. Schools ask for 'voluntary donations' every year. They are 'voluntary' and we only pay them when we can afford to. My two teens are both at he same school and the contribution is just under $500 per child, per year . You also have to pay for all the stationery your children will need for the year. Then there's uniforms. No getting cheap shirts and the like in Asda. They are pretty expensive, but thank goodness for the school second hand uniform shop. I have got most of my kids stuff from there. No taboo here about second hand stuff, all the kids wear it. Not everywhere is as expensive as my kids school. Its a particularly sought after school in Auckland, so thats the price I pay I guess. Just make sure you do lots of research on the areas and schools you are looking at.
Wow, that could cost quite a bit with four . Thanks for letting me know though.... sounds like there are quite a few costs, obviously we expected some, and at least we will be going in with our eyes open!!