Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Educated Kiwis leaving NZ

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Educated Kiwis leaving NZ

A large proportion of the Kiwi's going to Oz are not the highly skilled or educated.
Manuel workers and their like are going over in droves for the much better paid jobs on offer as well.

Old joke:
People moving from NZ to Oz raise the IQ of both countries

Kip
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:03 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex_exile
'cuse me but my last elections "tax cut" went on bribing ex student layabouts to vote labour!

The worrying thing for New Zealand is that the previous spikes in OZ emmigration have been in times when the NZ economy was bad, when the ecomony turns as its about to the outrush is only going to accelerate.
But did ex-students layabouts outnumber hardworking soles like you? - if the government was seeking to win votes the (ex)student body was hardly going to swing it for them was it.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:04 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
A large proportion of the Kiwi's going to Oz are not the highly skilled or educated.
Manuel workers and their like are going over in droves for the much better paid jobs on offer as well.

Old joke:
People moving from NZ to Oz raise the IQ of both countries

Kip
Loosing Trade skilled or skilled manual (even filling potholes in the road takes skills and experience) workers is just as bad. It makes the country less productive and efficient.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:08 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
But did ex-students layabouts outnumber hardworking soles like you? - if the government was seeking to win votes the (ex)student body was hardly going to swing it for them was it.
Well, them the bloted government class and the benificeries yep they did! Dont forget that labour BARELY won the election, every vote bought counted
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:21 am

Yep, thanks to gerrymandering in South Auckland.....not a lot of studo types there I would've thought, but there you go.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:26 am

Loosing Trade skilled or skilled manual (even filling potholes in the road takes skills and experience) workers is just as bad. It makes the country less productive and efficient.
So what' the problem? - they're replaced by 'cashed-up migrants' from other countries who'll work for less and bring in enough wealth to push up property prices and keep the economy bouyant....NZ Inc. will keep dangling "The Lifestyle" carrot in front of their skilled noses and all will be hunky dory.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

True. But I was replying to the OP's title Educated Kiwis leaving NZ.
Clearly not the full story regarding migration to Oz.

Kip
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:32 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samwel

The only clever Kiwis left behind appear to be business owners who employ the masses on low wages.

Look at the stats to see how many clever Kiwis leave and ask yourself what you are doing here.
More importantly Samwel, are you clever? If you are, then you should be happy that all the competition has left and this place is here for the taking!

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Avid
More importantly Samwel, are you clever? If you are, then you should be happy that all the competition has left and this place is here for the taking!

Unfortunatly it means that you are working with a lot of really really stupid people.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:44 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunatly it means that you are working with a lot of really really stupid people.
Hmmm....but at least they are friendly??
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

No wonder we get labelled whinging poms!

If you don't like life in NZ why not join 'all' the 'educated' Kiwis in Australia and leave us mindless drongos in peace and blissful ignorance. Good as gold and stupid as mud - that's me through and through.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Veni Vidi Vichi.

Seems I broke the rule.............I must be the exception.........after all there is always one..................
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by waynepfry
No wonder we get labelled whinging poms!

If you don't like life in NZ why not join 'all' the 'educated' Kiwis in Australia and leave us mindless drongos in peace and blissful ignorance. Good as gold and stupid as mud - that's me through and through.
Leaving at the end of the month

Could the last one out please turn off the lights
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Try comparing living somehwere like Harrogate or the Cotswolds to living in redneck Dargaville or Ashburton or many other small NZ service towns that have no character and look the same! Not fair is it?

I think there is no doubt that moving to NZ is not a career move unless you start a business here. Don't kid yourself that things are going to change anytime soon here.

If I had children I would consider their future before moving to NZ.

Reply:

I lived in Harrogate for over 25 years and can cast some light on living there.

Firstly Harrogate is a beautiful place. However, it's bloody expensive, you need at least 150k to buy a terrace in a not-so-nice-area and the wages are very low compared to the cost of living - try Almost London prices on Yorkshire wages.

Although it is a lovely place to visit (and live some of the time) there are some little surprises there. Graffiti, town's rough as rats on an evening (I feel a lot safer in Sheffield and Leeds on a night than in Harrogate), there's very little for kids to do, it's billed as the drug capital of the North (and for very good reason) and the weather's pants.

We moved from Harrogate as it was going downhill, my son was constantly beaten up in the local park and stabbings etc were on the increase.

Now if Harrogate is one of the most desireable places to live then bring on Dargaville.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:57 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=samwel;5879691]Not for everyone.

Try comparing living somehwere like Harrogate or the Cotswolds to living in redneck Dargaville or Ashburton or many other small NZ service towns that have no character and look the same! Not fair is it?

We've been living in Ashburton for 2 yrs now. It's actually a lovely place to live & work, & it's growing fast. House prices here are certainly not small town unfortunately, & they're not dropping either. We may not have one of the tourist brochure type beaches, but we have so much within easy reach of us. My 16 yr old son is getting a good education here & does so many more things than he's done before. I came from the North East of England & know where I'd rather have my teenager.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.