Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Eating for England

Eating for England

Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating for England

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oh. Not. Fair. I can't have a Christmas list as a 9 and 12 year old don't get to buy me presents ... Sounds fab.
See if you can get it it in the Library.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
See if you can get it it in the Library.
Ooo yes, good plan, will look tomorrow, thank you.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. Not. Fair. I can't have a Christmas list as a 9 and 12 year old don't get to buy me presents ... Sounds fab.
You absolutely have to have a christmas list even if you buy it yourself.

I got mine in the whitcoulls bargain bin for$12 a few years ago
But failing that there is always book depository.
I have had years of pleasure and annoyingly pull it out to read bits to people.

Last time that I made a victoria sandwich for morning tea I made my guests endure that passage
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina
You absolutely have to have a christmas list even if you buy it yourself.

I got mine in the whitcoulls bargain bin for$12 a few years ago
But failing that there is always book depository.
I have had years of pleasure and annoyingly pull it out to read bits to people.

Last time that I made a victoria sandwich for morning tea I made my guests endure that passage
Excellent ... I'm popping round, sounds hilarious!!!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I come too?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I love what he has to say about trifle.
Can't stop laughing! I had to google some of those words (Slater, leopard skin, orgy, knickerless and tart) very carefully to see if I could find an extract online for all to see:

Trifle
Layer after layer of frivolity. Is there anything so heavenly as the deep, cool luxury of a home-made trifle? It is what I imagine angels eat when they are not practising the harp.

The thick layers of wine-sodden sponge cake, soft ripe fruit, thick custard and whipped cream, and the crunch of toasted almonds, are as near as one can get to paradise.

Yet few recipes in recent years have been so cheapened. What can be a glorious orgy of voluptuousness is often not worthy of the name. The Sixties were especially harsh, when layers of jelly, tinned apricots, "hundreds and thousands" and, most humiliating of all, teeth-shattering silver balls, made an appearance.

Once gracing our tables like a favourite old aunt, our party dessert now resembled an old tart in a leopard skin coat.
Unfortunately cut short before we got to discuss the lack of knickers bit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1cWSvIEFB
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:02 am

Haha, brilliant! I've ordered a copy from Tauranga that's in so hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:16 am

The asparagus/avocado thread reminded me of this one.

Got book from library yesterday.

Read about a quarter of it in one sitting. Great fun and prompted some old memories.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Went to click like then realised I wasn't on facebook and needed to construct an entire response
Gave up and went with
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The asparagus/avocado thread reminded me of this one.

Got book from library yesterday.

Read about a quarter of it in one sitting. Great fun and prompted some old memories.
So many great blasts from the past. A bit later on he writes two lists, all the funnier because the first sounds just like tea at my mums even today.

British lunch outdoors then
Boiled ham
Iceberg lettuce
Salad Cream
Mateus Rose
Cress
Beetroot
Bread & Butter
Neapolitan Icecream

British lunch outdoors now
Chargrilled squid
Rocket
Buffalo mozzarella
Thin crust pizza
Goats cheese
Focaccia
Pinot Grigio
Old Nov 8th 2011, 10:05 am

Cress!!! I remember as a child having my mum take me to John Lewis shopping and getting an egg and cress sandwich - the height of sophistication back then (late 70's I'd guess?)

My favourite nostalgic moment thus far is the part about Jacob's Club biscuits.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

When you finish get 'Toast' it also connects emotions to taste buds...it's about Nigel Slater as a boy growing up with his mums cooking...it's so funny I read it twice
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:02 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

British lunch outdoors then
Boiled ham
Iceberg lettuce
Salad Cream
Mateus Rose
Cress
Beetroot
Bread & Butter
Neapolitan Icecream
sounds like a summer "pot luck" tea in these parts - minus the ice cream and mateus as it's too expensive.
and angel bread instead of plain white.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lardyl
sounds like a summer "pot luck" tea in these parts - minus the ice cream and mateus as it's too expensive.
and angel bread instead of plain white.
Yes, did cross my mind too as I wrote it. I thought those 2 litre cheapy Kiwi / Tip Top ice-creams were a food group of their own here, they seem to be a staple in most shopping trolleys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.