Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Eating for England

Eating for England

Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eating for England

I am presently reading Nigel Slaters book 'Eating for England' - The Delights & Eccentricities of the British at Table

Although I stumbled across it by accident in the library I have come to find it a real treasure and a pleasure to read from a nostalgic expat point of view. Much like the warm fuzzy glow some of us enjoy from watching the scenery in films such as Bridget Jones Diary.

If you don't get that, then suggest perhaps you read no further, eh?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eating-Engla.../dp/0007199465

Mr Slater writes in a lovely tongue in cheek and self deprecating manner about the special relationship the British have with certain foods, which he say is quite unlike that of any other nation. He talks about the origins of such things that all us expats hanker after, or have fond or awful childhood memories of; such as stew, the afternoon tea and the stories behind some of our best loved 'foodie' treasures. He discusses the British penchant for biscuits, Abbey Crunch and Rich Tea, Cream Crackers, Cadbury's Fruit and Nut, Dairylea triangles, Jammie Dodgers and many other such treats.

Add it to your Christmas list, it is just lovely!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 10:20 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating for England

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I am presently reading Nigel Slaters book 'Eating for England' - The Delights & Eccentricities of the British at Table

Although I stumbled across it by accident in the library I have come to find it a real treasure and a pleasure to read from a nostalgic expat point of view. Much like the warm fuzzy glow some of us enjoy from watching the scenery in films such as Bridget Jones Diary.

Mr Slater writes in a lovely tongue in cheek and self deprecating manner about the special relationship the British have with certain foods, which he say is quite unlike that of any other nation. He talks about the origins of such things that all us expats hanker after, or have fond or awful childhood memories of; such as stew, the afternoon tea and the stories behind some of our best loved 'foodie' treasures. He discusses the British penchant for biscuits, Abbey Crunch and Rich Tea, Cream Crackers, Cadbury's Fruit and Nut, Dairylea triangles, Jammie Dodgers and many other such treats.

Nah good British food comes with naan bread and popadoms....... The rich kids eat big macs......... Your talking history in the days when housewives used to be able to cook and owned ovens as well as microwaves....
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't usually get Nigel Slater (not sure why but his food never really stood out for me)...but his recent series on Telly is just brilliant!!! Sorry as don't think you get it in NZ, but maybe on BBC iPlayer?

Hope this link works...http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=b01541wt

Each week has a different theme, most weeks I could eat the TV after watching it...Yum Yum!

This is one book I am really going to have to get.

BJ - Jamie Oliver is doing a similar series to what you described, called Jamie's Great Britian, also celebrating British food

http://www.jamieoliver.com/tv-books/...-great-britain
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:12 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it must be because food is so synonymous with emotions? Or is that me pretending to be deep and meaningful? "Comfort" food brings us comfort because it leads us down memory lane or because it contains a certain e number or fat content or hormone? Not sure?

My daughter asked for boiled egg and soldiers the other day, is that terribly English? Intriguing subject really.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:57 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I read this when it came out. Yes, it is excellent. A real nostalgia fest wherever one is.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

My daughter asked for boiled egg and soldiers the other day, is that terribly English?
Maybe. I rather like this of a Sunday morning . Husband sorts it as I sit in the comfy chair on the back deck. It turns up complete with soldiers & a nice cup of tea all on a tea tray.
It was one of the foods Mum did for us when we were little and poorly.

Oooo. It's made me want one now.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Will do thanks...read 'Toast' by him on the way out here & loved it
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl

This is one book I am really going to have to get.

BJ - Jamie Oliver is doing a similar series to what you described, called Jamie's Great Britian, also celebrating British food

http://www.jamieoliver.com/tv-books/...-great-britain
I've seen this book in Living & Giving at Westfield Albany, it's on my 'to-buy' list too
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:11 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Nigel Slater has a great recipe for chocolate brownies! They are so good the best, I try not to make them alot as I can't resist them warm with whipped cream mmmmmmm
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter asked for boiled egg and soldiers the other day, is that terribly English? Intriguing subject really.
Yeah, he talks about soldiers too?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:28 am

Yeah, he talks about soldiers too?
Oooo, can you remember what he says? Is it back to the days of cannibalism?!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oooo, can you remember what he says? Is it back to the days of cannibalism?!
No he just say what a stroke of genius it was for someone to invent an edible teaspoon as a way to encourage children to eat and how the soldiers and egg perfectly complement each other.

He then goes on about them being aptly named as soldiers because they remain upright and uniform even when they are up to their knees in yuck.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of my favourite books. Such a crack up
I love what he has to say about trifle.

I lent it to a German workmate who was ridiculing british cuisine. To be honest, he wasn't an more convinced.
Slaters comparisons of the stews of Europe is brilliant.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I love what he has to say about trifle.
Okay now I'll have to read the trifle bit tonight, it's great actually that you can open it and random pages and read it out of sequence
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:38 am

Okay now I'll have to read the trifle bit tonight, it's great actually that you can open it and random pages and read it out of sequence
Oh. Not. Fair. I can't have a Christmas list as a 9 and 12 year old don't get to buy me presents ... Sounds fab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.