Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Easy to get Finance?

Easy to get Finance?

Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Easy to get Finance?

How easy is it to get finance (car for example) and mortgages after you've arrived? Is there a time limit before you can be accepted?

Tyhanks in advance.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Easy to get Finance?

Hi there

I can't help with car finance but with regards mortgages, we've tried 3 banks and they all would like us to be in NZ for 6 months before they lend to us. If you have a deposit of 20% or more they may lend after 3 months. We only had a 15% deposit so were refused for the amount we wanted.

This was before I found a job though and was based on my husband's income.

If you have a decent deposit and both have jobs them may lend to you sooner. We found that their refusal was actually a blessing as we've decided not to rush into buying a house until we see more of NZ.

HeatherGirl
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

husband was offered a mortgage after being here a month but conditions were attached to actually receive it like confirmation of monies stated to be bought over from UK. He used a broker and actually got mortgage offers from 2 banks. So things do seem to be fairly easy.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Car finance is a piece of doddle

We arrived in October last year, 6 weeks later I got a car on finance.

Just inform your income and expenditure. Then you'll be informed whether your approved or not. Takes about three working days to get approved
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I got car finance a few weeks after arriving on a work visa.
Walked into the car yard and drove out on the same day with a 'new to me' car and finance in place.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your replies. We should have a considerable deposit for a mortgage, so it's reassuring to know we don't need to live in NZ for a long period of time to get a mortgage. I only asked about the Car Finance as I'm sure you'll appreciate, we don't want to sink a large chunk of our capital into a car straight away by having to buy it outright.