British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Easter Trip To Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/easter-trip-wellington-519014/)

Am Loolah Mar 4th 2008 8:43 am

Easter Trip To Wellington

Any advice please on family friendly, nice places to stay?

Only one idea of many at the moment, but would like a really nice, pretty central hotel if possible? Any recommendations please?

Other than Te Papa Museum where else to amuse kids aged 15, 13, 9 & 5?:thumbup:

irnbru14 Mar 4th 2008 9:13 am

Re: Easter Trip To Wellington

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 6014465)

Only one idea of many at the moment, but would like a really nice, pretty central hotel if possible? Any recommendations please?

I cut through the James Cook hotel on the Terrace quite a bit to take the lift down and up from Lambton, it is a bit rubbish looking form the outside but don;t look too bad inside, never seen any of the rooms mind you or unsure how expensive it is!?

Still happily recommend the Wellington YHA Hostel to anyone, its possibly the best big city hostel I've stayed in...sure they do family rooms too??

Is there a Super 14 Rugby game on when you are here? Apart from that, depends on the weather here, Welly can be a bit exposed on bad weather days!! Go up to the Botanic Gardens on the cablecar, you can hire bikes/rollerblades and stuff down the harbour...

helinuk Mar 4th 2008 9:16 am

Hi A L
The 'nice' hotel : James cook in the city. NOt stayed at it yet but asked about special deals when we were there and hope to stay there next time. We've used the Appolo motel -both the motel room and the apartments because it's so close to Courtney place and you can leave your car in the car park and walk. We also used the central city apartments in victoria street also very central. Both these places are walking distance to Te Papa museum and the cable car. We've also used the Bellavista motel in Evans bay, Only thing to be aware of is that its close ish to airport so you get a bit of plane noise- is new and clean.
We went to Karori sanctuary 10 min drive from city and the guided tour was very good. Hubby and son did the LOTR tour a bit pricey but they enjoyed it.

HTH
Helen

MOSO Mar 4th 2008 2:16 pm

We've just come back from a week in Wellington with 2 kids. We stayed with friends so can't advise on places to stay, but as for things to do the website www.wotzon.com is fantastic giving loads of ideas and events that are on in Wellington.
A few things I can think of:

Cable car/ restaurant at top.
Karori Wildlife Reserve
Climbing wall/hiring canoes etc by the harbour front
Various swimming pools - Aquatic centre, Upper Hutt with slides etc.
Mountain biking - also in Karori
Wellington Zoo - including real kiwis!
Beaches - Eastborne, Scorching bay etc
Capital E
And don't forget drinking coffee which seems obligatory and is for sale everywhere!

Enjoy yourselves!

helinuk Mar 4th 2008 10:48 pm

Just remembered that we went to a HUGE shopping mall in Lower hutt if you fancy some retail therapy and it has a cinema upstairs that the kids could go to while you shop :D

luvwelly Mar 4th 2008 10:55 pm

The Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre in Kilbirnie which has newly opened play areas called SPRAY (including separate toddler one) for ages up to 12 and a massive main pool for those over 12. Cafe with excellent coffee and carrot cake (but not bolly I'm afraid :rofl:) at the poolside. Enjoy.

Reading Cinemas complex in the centre has a food court and some shops.

If weather good try the Botanic Gardens or other viewing points such as Mount Victoria/Brooklyn Wind Turbine instead.

simonmarkellis Mar 4th 2008 11:00 pm

If the weather is good, there's a picnic planned for Easter Sunday in the Botanic Gardens!!!:thumbsup::eek:

Jac&Adie Mar 5th 2008 3:40 am

I don't think you'll have time to be bored, you'll have a lot of home visits to make if you down this way. (putting the bolly on ice now)

oolie Mar 5th 2008 3:43 am

Why didnt you tell me you were coming here at easter?? We will be in Christchurch. What day you arriving/going?

Am Loolah Mar 5th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by oolie (Post 6018913)
Why didnt you tell me you were coming here at easter?? We will be in Christchurch. What day you arriving/going?

Well, that's what I'd heard so I thought it would be the ideal time to visit!:p

Turns out the Hubster is now thinking closer to home, maybe Coromandel for some fishing & camping (Do I look like bloody Pocahontas?! :confused:)

But I'll definitely plan a trip soon, maybe make it a girlie get away with a friend or two if the retail therapy is good (thanks for that tip Helen.:thumbup:)

Thank you all for your tips, sounds like we'll be busy when we do get there.

MIL arrives this weekend and after visiting us will be staying with her best friend whom she emigrated with when they were both 18 in Otaki near Wellington!

shiftdelete Mar 5th 2008 5:45 pm

Yep, James Cook is ok- ...normally have specials on wotif.
For coffee- the chocolate fish, parade cafe , oriental bay. The pubs are all great.
also Eastbourne.
Wellington is a great city.

For the kids- there's enough- lots of interesting things.
If its windy, you could spend a couple of hours watching planes trying to land :D

karonious Mar 5th 2008 7:33 pm

We liked the James Cook Hotel - gets a :thumbsup: from us!

luvwelly Mar 5th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 6021806)
Yep, James Cook is ok- ...normally have specials on wotif.
For coffee- the chocolate fish, parade cafe , oriental bay. The pubs are all great.
also Eastbourne.
Wellington is a great city.

For the kids- there's enough- lots of interesting things.
If its windy, you could spend a couple of hours watching planes trying to land :D

NB The Chocolate Fish closed at Christmas.

spid Mar 5th 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 6021806)

Made me giggle!:rofl:

shiftdelete Mar 8th 2008 7:40 pm

oh stop that! ;)
...its been a while since I made someone giggle :o

Originally Posted by spid (Post 6022634)
Made me giggle!:rofl: