Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Easing of travel requirements in 2022

Easing of travel requirements in 2022

Old Dec 20th 2021, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easing of travel requirements in 2022

Originally Posted by Charismatic
In terms of New Zealand border policy messaging is also unclear. The Prime Minister said one day that they would review the data that was available in January but her Health Minister said "Flyer beware" the next day which panicked travellers and airlines. So...wait and see I suppose.
Seems perfectly clear. Wait until they review the data that's available in January, just like she said.
Not to sure what part of that is difficult to understand 🤔
Old Dec 20th 2021, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Noting that daily infections are massively up.
There is usually a lag between infection and hospitalisation.
Then another lag between hospitalisation and death.
So we won't get a clear picture for about another three weeks.
At which point, if the news is bad, it will be obvious that we should have taken action now and not waited for the results to come in.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 9:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they've made a few precautionary changes:
  • Overseas travellers need to return a negative Covid-19 test within 48 hours of departure, rather than 72 hours - as was previously the rule.
  • Overseas travellers need to do 10 days in MIQ, rather than seven.
  • Everyone on an international flight with a positive case will be treated as a close contact.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 10:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Noting that daily infections are massively up.
There is usually a lag between infection and hospitalisation.
Then another lag between hospitalisation and death.
So we won't get a clear picture for about another three weeks.
At which point, if the news is bad, it will be obvious that we should have taken action now and not waited for the results to come in.
I looked into it that:
The median delay (lag) between symptom onset and hospital admission varies between 1 and 6.7 days depending on age and whether the patient lives in a nursing home.
​​​​​​- ONS UK.
​​​​​​
The UK had its first reported Omicron case on the 27th of November, 2021 so I think we can now rule out the idea that hospitalisations aren't rising yet due to time elapse.

Last edited by Charismatic; Dec 21st 2021 at 10:34 am.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like the charts on www.coronavirus.data.gov.uk and whilst hospital visits did rise slightly in December its definitely leveled off recently. A clear decline in the death rates from November onwards, stats looking good so far
Old Dec 23rd 2021, 9:58 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
I quite like the charts on www.coronavirus.data.gov.uk and whilst hospital visits did rise slightly in December its definitely leveled off recently. A clear decline in the death rates from November onwards, stats looking good so far
Indeed, there has been a deluge of positive data supporting clinical observations the mild symptoms of this variant that will hopefully expedite reopening.

The only negative data point I've seen is on boosters, they just aren't providing additional protection for any duration unfortunately. It was worth a shot (pun intended!) but much as to say the booster campaign is largely going to be pointless. Getting your initial vaccination is still worthwhile however so if you've been living under a rock or had your head in the sand. Also remember in New Zealand we still have the far more dangerous Delta variant in its own protected ecosystem, ain't no Omicron coming to save us until international borders are reopened.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Clareuk is an unknown quantity at this point

There is to be some slight easing of travel requirements in 2022:

I would have posted it within the correct Coronavirus thread but that seems to have been closed.
Are there any new updates on travel requirements now?
i know Aus—NZ is end of Feb I think but what about everyone else ? (Internationally)
Old Jan 9th 2022, 7:01 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Clareuk
Are there any new updates on travel requirements now?
i know Aus—NZ is end of Feb I think but what about everyone else ? (Internationally)
No further delays I've heard about. That said it wouldn't suprise me if the government had second thoughts about reopening heading into winter...but then that was always governments plan. ​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Jan 9th 2022, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

No further delays I've heard about. That said it wouldn't suprise me if the government had second thoughts about reopening heading into winter...but then that was always governments plan. ​​​​​
​​​​​​
Thanks Charismatic just making sure I hadn’t missed anything 🙂
Old Jan 16th 2022, 12:20 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Clareuk
Thanks Charismatic just making sure I hadn’t missed anything 🙂
As far as I'm aware it'll still be the end of February.

When borders do reopen most people will likely get Omicron, have a cold for five to ten days, then return to life as per normal. Given the viral trajectory in other countries it'll probably take about a month for cases to peak and a month to fall back. That would be early March to the end of April and that might not be the best time to travel to New Zealand as more restrictions are likely.

...In fact it might be a very good time for Kiwis to go on holiday for a couple of months somewhere else to avoid disruption.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 9:37 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Looks like they've bottled it again but not specified a date. First half of this year sometime now.
Old Jan 25th 2022, 5:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Announcement about an announcement that will supersede previous announcements here. Basically MIQ will go in favour of home quarantine.

Although one suspects that in about eight weeks the spread of Omicron will be such that isolation itself will be defunct.
Old Jan 25th 2022, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Announcement about an announcement that will supersede previous announcements here. Basically MIQ will go in favour of home quarantine.

Although one suspects that in about eight weeks the spread of Omicron will be such that isolation itself will be defunct.
Thanks for posting the updates Charismatic 🙂
Old Jan 26th 2022, 12:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Looks like they've bottled it again but not specified a date. First half of this year sometime now.
One person's 'bottled it' is another person's 'good sense'.
Old Jan 26th 2022, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Omicron it's a posh word for a head cold.
more media shizer.
200k cases a day bk home.
been double jabbed and booster.
still not wore a face mask all winter and belive it or not I'm still alive.
Isolation is getting scrapped in UK altogether and it's getting treated like a common cold (flu) virus as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.