British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Easing of travel requirements in 2022 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/easing-travel-requirements-2022-a-941705/)

Charismatic Nov 24th 2021 7:22 am

Easing of travel requirements in 2022

There is to be some slight easing of travel requirements in 2022:

From January 17, vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residence-class visa holders and other travellers eligible under government settings who arrive in New Zealand from Australia won't need to go into managed isolation/quarantine (MIQ). Rather, they will be able to self-isolate for seven days.

From February 14, the same rules will apply to New Zealand citizens, residence-class visa holders and other travellers eligible under government settings who arrive from other parts of the world.

From April 30, foreign nationals will be able to self-isolate on arrival in New Zealand. This reopening might be staged by visa category.

All travellers from countries deemed "Very-High Risk" will still need to stay in MIQ for a week and then self-isolate for three days.
I would have posted it within the correct Coronavirus thread but that seems to have been closed.

Brisbannite Nov 24th 2021 7:30 am

Re: Easing of travel requirements in 2022

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 13075262)
There is to be some slight easing of travel requirements in 2022:

I would have posted it within the correct Coronavirus thread but that seems to have been closed.

Interesting, will be useful to know what the rules are for Australians entering NZ for short-term business and leisure trips.

MrsFychan Nov 24th 2021 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13075268)
Interesting, will be useful to know what the rules are for Australians entering NZ for short-term business and leisure trips.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...from-australia

this should give info you need

Clareuk Nov 24th 2021 8:45 pm

Great news!

know of a few kiwis not in Aus either that havenโ€™t been able to return home in a very long time as they havenโ€™t been successful with the MIQ lottery.
Providing of course there are flights!

think itโ€™s great!!

Charismatic Nov 24th 2021 8:59 pm

It might be good for Kiwis further afield as well. There doesn't appear to be trans-Tasman coordination so Australia is reopening to other countries on an ad-hoc basis with other countries (e.g. Singapore, Japan, Korea, New Zealand etc.) so many Kiwis may be able to return to New Zealand via Australia from January 17th as well by side stepping the MIQ bottleneck.

I admit it's the Swiss cheese approach to international travel but it opens up some interesting international travel options.

Clareuk Nov 24th 2021 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 13075544)
It might be good for Kiwis further afield as well. There doesn't appear to be trans-Tasman coordination so Australia is reopening to other countries on an ad-hoc basis with other countries (e.g. Singapore, Japan, Korea, New Zealand etc.) so many Kiwis may be able to return to New Zealand via Australia from January 17th as well by side stepping the MIQ bottleneck.

I admit it's the Swiss cheese approach to international travel but it opens up some interesting international travel options.

Agree there are Kiwis even here in the UK and Europe that have been unable to get home because of the MIQ lottery that so many have struggled with so hopefully ๐Ÿคž

Tom H Nov 24th 2021 10:53 pm

Glaring open goal here

Vaccinated travellers only?

Good luck telling a family they have to leave their 7 year old in an MIQ facility as an example.

I'd be flabbergasted if that area of legislation doesn't get updated since I'm pretty certain there'll be many families out there that'll be thinking the same.

Cook Islands aren't accepting under 12s for the time being

BEVS Nov 25th 2021 4:42 am

My thoughts went to LittleGreyCat in the UK and also Mich in Oz. Hopefully both may be able to return and resettle as Nz slowly and carefully re-opens as planned

Won't the under 12's simply require negative tests as per their vaxxed adults.

MrsFychan Nov 25th 2021 6:28 am

I also would of assumed that under 12's wouldnt need to be vaxxed, is that how others are reading it?

If so I can always email immigration and ask, they have been pretty good in the past when I have clarified things for other posters

Tom H Nov 26th 2021 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 13075667)
I also would of assumed that under 12's wouldnt need to be vaxxed, is that how others are reading it?

If so I can always email immigration and ask, they have been pretty good in the past when I have clarified things for other posters

From what I've read, the Cook Islands isn't accepting anyone under 12
  • All visitors to the Cook Islands are required to be fully vaccinated or provide a certified medical exemption. This means that only those aged over 12 years will qualify until New Zealand begins its vaccination of children.
Great opportunity for an adult break away or a young children free flight.

Whether New Zealand are doing something similar, I'm not so sure.

Charismatic Nov 26th 2021 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 13076138)
From what I've read, the Cook Islands isn't accepting anyone under 12
  • All visitors to the Cook Islands are required to be fully vaccinated or provide a certified medical exemption. This means that only those aged over 12 years will qualify until New Zealand begins its vaccination of children.
Great opportunity for an adult break away or a young children free flight.

Whether New Zealand are doing something similar, I'm not so sure.

Harsh and arbitrary, just the way I like my rules.

In fact the EU proposal for vaccine passports has been that eligible groups of people will need to have had boosters in the last six months. That means New Zealands program will need to pick up the pace if travel options are to reopen for Kiwis.

However I'm hopeful that with the Pfizer antiviral and Merck retroviral treatments will be rapidly adopted and provide better options than the vaccine. Love those scientists! :wub:

Mishclark Nov 26th 2021 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13075650)
My thoughts went to LittleGreyCat in the UK and also Mich in Oz. Hopefully both may be able to return and resettle as Nz slowly and carefully re-opens as planned

Won't the under 12's simply require negative tests as per their vaxxed adults.

Thamk you! I was supposed to come in Sept but just before our previous lockdown started im June, I cancelled as I knew it would be suspended. Call it previous experience!

This new system works great for me as I was looking at coming in April or May anyway, I had a feeling things would change a bit by then.

I'm not too stressed though, in the meantime I've been working and will have completed extra study by then, and would have come to Oz for Christmas anyway as my oldest daughter lives in Oz with her partner. Nz isn't going anywhere.

Plus they are having my first grandchild om Monday, quality time ๐Ÿ˜

MrsFychan Nov 27th 2021 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Mishclark (Post 13076169)
Plus they are having my first grandchild om Monday, quality time ๐Ÿ˜

Congrats, having you there will surey help the family.

Mishclark Nov 27th 2021 6:33 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 13076232)
Congrats, having you there will surey help the family.

Ahh thank you! Thankfully his mum is wonderful and lives close, which is good as I've forgotten what to do with a baby ๐Ÿ˜‚

Justcol Nov 27th 2021 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mishclark (Post 13076234)
Ahh thank you! Thankfully his mum is wonderful and lives close, which is good as I've forgotten what to do with a baby ๐Ÿ˜‚

The rules for grand children are simple.
You love them to bits, cuddle them, pull funny faces and make silly noises, and when they start to smell or cry you hand them back to mum ๐Ÿ˜‚