Earthquakes

Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquakes

Originally Posted by jmh
LOL, I went there on business a month ago and I admit to being a tad nervous.
Yeah, I think for me it's more knowing that most of the city centre is on re-claimed land and looking at all those beautiful brick buildings. Coming from Christchurch and even having missed the big ones I think I'm naturally more 'what is above my headish' than I was when I lived in unshakeable mother England.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:26 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Yeah, I think for me it's more knowing that most of the city centre is on re-claimed land and looking at all those beautiful brick buildings. Coming from Christchurch and even having missed the big ones I think I'm naturally more 'what is above my headish' than I was when I lived in unshakeable mother England.
Might be unshakeable England but I was in the 5.4 that hit the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales....
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna be nosey now - what was that like? I actually did feel a couple in England but they weren't anything like these here.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes Wellington increasingly scares the crap out of me when I go there but I am trying not to frighten the uninitiated
Well done for previous post on the scales that should be informative for OP.

Just to add on Wellington is the sea and what happened in Japan.

When in Wellington always be aware of your physical route to higher ground.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna be nosey now - what was that like? I actually did feel a couple in England but they weren't anything like these here.
I felt a 5.8 in 2011, but so did several tens of millions of other people on the east coast of the US. It made the building floors shake (in a modern, low-rise, steel-framed building), and everybody looked up, and at first felt like the vibrations from a passing HGV.

Despite the epicenter being not far from Washington DC, and being felt in a dozen states and part of Canada, it caused no deaths, and (only) an estimated $300 million of damage, which considering the number of people who felt it, is a pretty trivial amount. I presume it would mostly be cracking and damage to plasterboard, which makes up the interior wall surfaces of the vast majority of homes, and offices, in the US, but isn't at all robust when the timber or steel frame it is screwed or nailed to, flexes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2016 at 3:45 am.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:38 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

More scary than anything I have encountered in Chch but I was in a static caravan that twisted and dumped all of it's crockery on the floor. Liverpool had the most of the damage with chimney stacks dropping. The after shocks were nearly as bad.

This one was bad...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Kent_earthquake
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Static caravan in Wales?
Surely not.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
Static caravan in Wales?
Surely not.
Please explain
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I guess for me I can deal with them okay. It's just that fear when they're big that it's THE ONE.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your honest experiences ... i would rather know so I can prepare and adapt, dont want it to put me off completely. Do they insure homes against earthquake damage or is it too expensive ?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Tina that's a whole other box of frogs. From what I understand in Christchurch yes they do insure homes and there is something called the Earthquake Commission (EQC) who are responsible for overseeing the recovery of areas hit by damaging quakes. However the process of fixing them has dragged on with many people waiting years - particularly for complex cases. Also if you don't have insurance you're stuffed which is why the market is flooded with 'As is Where is' houses.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point

So would it be better to buy a new build house with insurance from the start then?
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

There are lots of benefits to buying new build houses in terms of obviously less immediate upkeep, personal choice in fittings etc and better insulation standards but there is no reason why an old house with valid insurance is worse off than a new house with valid insurance if either are damaged in a quake. I guess just do your due diligence before you purchase and you're good.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you cannot buy a house without insurance.
When a large earthquake hit a couple of years ago, all new insurance policies where stopped for a few weeks which nearly saw people lose out on houses they had gone unconditional on, which would of opened up a huge box of frogs.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Please explain
What?

Attachment 124336

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.