Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Earthquake zone!!!

Earthquake zone!!!

Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Earthquake zone!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6940546.stm

and my grandmother worries about my move to NZ

BTW didn't feel a thing!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:24 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: Earthquake zone!!!

First Earthquake I ever felt was about 1981 and was centred in Helston, Cornwall. Minor little bit a shaking I noticed the stuff in aglass cabinet shuffle as I was getting resdy for school. Mum thought it was a truck going by except we lived no where near a main road.

Always makes me smile when thes little rumbles occur in the UK as to how much damage is caused by them and claimed to the insurance companies. Then again the Great Auckland Earthquake of 2007 was just as bad

what was it 20,000 calls to emergency services yet few hours later same think happens in Wellington and ooops just 2 calls

Ahh well better dust this one off from the Folkestone Quake few months ago

MANCESTER EARTHQUAKE APPEAL - Please, can you help?

An earthquake measuring 2.5 on the Richter scale hit Mancester
Just before Lunchtime Friday .Its epicentre was in Greater Mancester.
Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly, muttering "Faaackinell".

The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of
damage.
Several priceless collections of mementos from Majorca and the Costa
del Sol were damaged beyond repair.

Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were
woken well before their giros arrived.

Radio Stations reported that hundreds of residents were confused and
bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that
something interesting had happened in Mancester other than a football riot. One resident - Tracy Sharon
Smith, a 15-year-old mother of five said, "It was such a shock, my
little Chardonnay-Mercedes come running into my bedroom crying. My youngest
two, Tyler-Morgan and Victoria-Storm slept through it all. I was still
shaking when I was skinning up and watching Jeremey Kyle the next
morning."

Apparently looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried
on as normal. The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000
crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found
large quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books,
jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and Bone China from Poundland.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those
unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include:
Fila or Burberry baseball caps
Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)
Shell suits (female)
White sport socks
Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in Primark.
Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same.

Required foodstuffs include:
Microwave meals, Tins of baked beans, Ice cream, Cans of Colt 45 or
Special Brew.
22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms.
£2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9.
£5 buys B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those affected.

***Breaking news***
Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in raspberry
alco-pop.
'Where are you bleeding from?' they asked, "Aylesham" said the girl,
"wossit gotta do wiv you!?!"
Btw, this would be the same BBC that reported large parts of New Zealand had been desimated by a Volcanic Erruption back in 2005 Place recoverd remarkably quick

Incase you want to frighten your UK Relly then this is the website for you

http://www.geonet.org.nz/

Last edited by Colin in the middle; Aug 10th 2007 at 7:26 pm. Reason: insert website
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6940546.stm

and my grandmother worries about my move to NZ

BTW didn't feel a thing!
Wow 2.5 on the Richter scale in Manchester! we have had 8 stronger than that in the past week in Rotorua

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/...nt_quakes.html

To be totally honest though they do come in groups (called swarms) and the last we had before this swarm is probably more than a year ago. I mentioned these quakes to my mates at college this week and they could not believe I was so fasinated by them. They are not really an issue to Kiwis.

Further thought... It is not just the quakes you need to worry about...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...429432#Scene_1

Don't give these a thought in your planning, you probably stand more chance getting killed on a railway level crossing or being attacked by a dog.

Rob
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:18 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I've never felt a quake.

Closest I've ever come to knowing what one felt like was when a refining plant 20 miles away exploded.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:06 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob

Further thought... It is not just the quakes you need to worry about...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...429432#Scene_1

Don't give these a thought in your planning, you probably stand more chance getting killed on a railway level crossing or being attacked by a dog.

Rob
Oh my I laugh even more when people bring up the most anticipated and planned for natural event ever on Ruapehu.
Unless of course you were sitting in the toilet block at Tangiwai the risk to anyone was slim with more chance of being struck by lightning. I actually joked a few days before that I was going go up with a shovel and help the bloody thing if it had not gone soon.

I was here during the 1995/1996 eruption in fact in 1996 I was working on the Turoa Skifield and to be honest it was more of a nuisance than damage.
Heck its quite around the central north island at the moment not so much as a wimper form the sleeping giants, not that its going to upset more than a few skiers if they decide to cough. Probably more thermal activity in Rotorua than on these peaks.

Nope dont worry about these minor natural events anyways most imigrants live in Auckland which rarely has anything bigger than what Mancester got and probably as infreqyuant compared to other areas of NZ.
Worry more your sitting on 50 dormant volcanoes