Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Originally Posted by Persephone
One small mercy...

That makes far more sense than 10km from Akaroa. That first assessment was too far away for how violent and sudden it felt. That must be one of the nastiest and most frightening I've felt. The epicentre in Prebbleton was 10km from my house, that's way too close for me.
I can so empathise with you...when we lived 10km east of Christhcurch ie Sumner it was very scary, the earthquakes & aftershocks like you said were very violent....explains why all the dogs in the area went walkabouts too
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like its the turn of the north now. Stay safe everyone

A strong earthquake with a magnitude of at least 5.3 has struck New Zealand's north island.
The tremor hit 30 kilometres west of the town of Taupo, although there have been no reports of damage or injuries.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/3261623.htm
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup. Felt it here in Mapua whilst bathing . Top of South Island. It rattled the house & set next door's wee dawgs barking. .
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

yes it was felt in Wellington!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Looks like its the turn of the north now. Stay safe everyone

A strong earthquake with a magnitude of at least 5.3 has struck New Zealand's north island.
The tremor hit 30 kilometres west of the town of Taupo, although there have been no reports of damage or injuries.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/3261623.htm
It was actually a 6.5!! But luckily it was very deep - 150km
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt feel a thing!!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
It was actually a 6.5!! But luckily it was very deep - 150km
Seems opinions differ - which is unusual! The first report we got was Geonet with 6.5 but then the USGS came back and downgraded it. My firefox feeds are now all showing the lower figure so I don't know which is right. Be surprised at no damage if it was a 6.5 even that deep
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:12 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Never felt a thing sitting on the couch in Taupo, but the next door neighbour was working in the bush and he did.
We normally get wonky pictures, mirrors etc, even when they're small, but all is squared away.
Geonet showed 6.5 at 150 when I checked after a mate texted to check on us.
Reckon it's just the Taniwha adjusting the old holster.....ahem.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:05 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garfield250
Just had one here in the Wanganui area, computer screen was moving around, thought that my eyes were not working properly then felt the chair move..... om gosh hang on!!

Geonet report that it was 5.1 on the scale, at a 50 km depth, 30k NW of Otaki
Never felt a thing! Maybe cause the earth moves regular for me
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Be surprised at no damage if it was a 6.5 even that deep
Deep quakes work differently to shallow ones. You don't get anywhere near as many surface waves generated as with shallow ones & the waves will project out almost in a cone shape from the point 150km down. The shaking map shows the effect very well, not many reports at its location but you can almost draw a circle around it for the majority.
http://http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/3540736g-shaking.html
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Deep quakes work differently to shallow ones. You don't get anywhere near as many surface waves generated as with shallow ones & the waves will project out almost in a cone shape from the point 150km down. The shaking map shows the effect very well, not many reports at its location but you can almost draw a circle around it for the majority.
http://http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/3540736g-shaking.html
....but was it a 6.5 or a 5.3? is there a consensus on it yet? USGS are still reporting 5.3.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Let's frighten the bejazzers outta the folks yet to come.

This is the Earthquake thread.

You feel an earthquake , you log it here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...PICS/quake.gif

http://britishexpats.com/forum/%5BIM....gif%5B/IMG%5D

Ok so i like the fact there is some light hearted humour here, but trust me living in christchurch aint no laughing matter. I obviously didnt do my homework when we moved here and was at work in a high rise when the big quake hit in Sep. I thought a plane had hit the building and when i was told it was an earthquake i was rather shaken, quite literally. So ok no one was killed in this one and all but few buildings survived. That was until mother nature got pissed off again in Feb, were all of the city got destroyed and people died a few of my work colleagues to be precise. People only hear about the big ones that cause death and destruction but they dont hear about the thousands of shakes we have in between, people are exhausted, many homeless, jobless and most are at breaking point. In fact many have left and many more will follow including myself eventually! I pray to god that no one every has to endure the heartache and pain that we have suffered. Although living anywhere in NZ is very much a risk thats real.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Having a hard time of it Snazishaz? The only places I can see that are safe in NZ(ish) are the far north and the deep south. Would rather be in Christchurch than Wellington during a big ones .
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Snazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to allSnazishaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Having a hard time of it Snazishaz? The only places I can see that are safe in NZ(ish) are the far north and the deep south. Would rather be in Christchurch than Wellington during a big ones .
Who's not having a hard time? This new normal is not good, im bailing out soon and it defo wont be wellington in fact it wont even be NZ, which is sad because i love this place and the people.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:25 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
The only places I can see that are safe in NZ(ish) are the far north and the deep south.
I've lived in the Waikato for 50 years, and in all that time, I've felt one minor earthquake, although I lived in Wellington for a while too and felt quite a few small ones.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Jul 11th 2011 at 3:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.