Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Originally Posted by chippy64
So glad all ok, apart from dog running off which is sad. How are you coping being away from them now?
Have heard from my men and they are all ok. Sam is really struggling - some of you I know read his very powerful personal account of the Feb quake. He has had enough but if he comes back to the UK, there is nothing for him. A friend has offered him a place to stay with her rellies in Palmerston North, so he has that to think about.
Every morning, I am scared to turn the radio on in case there is more bad news. I worry about them all the time and it makes it worse when I can't get hold of them. I felt physically sick when they reported injuries, trapped people etc. What to do?
I really don't know how you cope. Every morning since I got back the first thing I do is log on to geonet and quake.crowe! I worry constantly. I hate being so far away and try to do practical things to help. Have arranged counselling for my Dad, my sister and my dead sister's partner as they are all still quite fragile. My sister's children and grandchildren have fled to Auckland. I cry a lot! x
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:19 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Wasn't the speech John Key gave odd, he just said “We’re all behind you etc. etc.” then just at the moment when you thought he was going to say something profoundly uplifting and moving to unite the nation again, win the trust and goodwill of the people during dark times, he say “I’m going to India with some other ministers on trade talks…” like he was absolutly determined to use that press conference to announce that trip (which is doubly odd since it could be seen as running away during a potential crisis at the time). Just to rub salt in the wound he say he is going to send Gerry Brownlee .

Also stuff suggests the intensity have been revised upwards by GeoNet:
A new fault, south of the Port Hills fault, is now believed responsible for yesterday's major aftershocks in Christchurch.

GNS Science seismologists said the newly-confirmed fault had already generated a number of quakes since the deadly February 22 event.

Dr Bill Fry said the dominant energy in yesterday's magnitude 5.7 and 6.3 aftershocks had been horizontal, compared with the vertical action in February's 6.3 quake.

This meant they were felt differently.

Last edited by Charismatic; Jun 14th 2011 at 5:36 am.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwigirlinalain
I really don't know how you cope. Every morning since I got back the first thing I do is log on to geonet and quake.crowe! I worry constantly. I hate being so far away and try to do practical things to help. Have arranged counselling for my Dad, my sister and my dead sister's partner as they are all still quite fragile. My sister's children and grandchildren have fled to Auckland. I cry a lot! x
I too log on to internet and check the ChCh quake map every morning. I cried when I spoke to Sam yesterday, which was the last thing he needed, TBH. I have suggested counselling to him but he is a very introverted young man and is not keen. I also seem to spend a lot of time crying!
My boys did go out after the 6.0 to see if anyone needed help (and to check out what had happened). They helped a lady with her disabled husband, so once again I am a proud Mum .

Take care Kiwigirl - think of you often.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you, my heart goes out to you and your family, we are near Christchurch and it is not a pleasant place to be at the moment. I have no idea what to say to you except that time does heal and things are sure to get better at some point in time and hopefully the family in Auckland are feeling much safer now and your Dad having counselling will hopefully help him to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your sister's partner will never forget her and one day may find the strength to pick himself up and start over. Cry if you need to I am sure it does release some of the anxiety and tension going on right now. Hugs to you and yours xx
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Now we have no electricity :-(
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Now we have no electricity :-(
But you are still posting!

My thoughts are with you all. I know Christchurch very well, a beautiful part of the world and with the Kiwi attitude, it will be a success again.

Just been reading in the media that since the earthquake in February, there has been 7,500 after-shocks. Saying that, why are these recent quakes still being classified as 'after shocks'?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Mobile internet.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpg
But you are still posting!

My thoughts are with you all. I know Christchurch very well, a beautiful part of the world and with the Kiwi attitude, it will be a success again.

Just been reading in the media that since the earthquake in February, there has been 7,500 after-shocks. Saying that, why are these recent quakes still being classified as 'after shocks'?
Apparently yesterdays first one was a foreshock to the second one which was an earthquake on a new fault which has been triggered by the first one back in September! Well that is if you can believe what they say, don't think anyone really knows the answers!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mpg
I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. I think more and more people are going to move out of ChCh now and in the foreseeable future and less people move there. Any rebuild will take years and years.

It was on the news tonight that locals aren't even trying to clean up in some places after yesterday as they just don't see the point now.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

i just feel so horrible for you all , i mean im glad its not happening where i am, but i sure wish it wasnt happening down there either
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Christchurch residents have really got it good at the moment in other ways, their houses are actually increasing in value (unlike most places) if undamaged (but this may be short lived when repaired ones flood the market). Also there was a growth in job listings here (where as there was a decrease in most other places). We could have some great new parks on unbuildable land. Think of other cities that where destroyed and rebuilt like London and Berlin post WW2 and Napier and central Wellington. I might be over optimistic because my lecky is back though .

The faster we can work the more people will stay, earthquakes or not, there is an equilibrium and if there is work people will come. Build it and they will come, after all if people will live in the UAE deserts or permafrost of Alberta why not the more hospitable Christchurch?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:32 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure. I think more and more people are going to move out of ChCh now and in the foreseeable future and less people move there. Any rebuild will take years and years.

It was on the news tonight that locals aren't even trying to clean up in some places after yesterday as they just don't see the point now.
I think the length of time it's going on for is killing people emotionally...was on my friend's FB wall yesterday - they are in CHCH and he said physically they are fine but emotionally not doing well at all..kids all over the place. To think this has been going on since last year.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Christchurch residents have really got it good at the moment in other ways, their houses are actually increasing in value (unlike most places) if undamaged (but this may be short lived when repaired ones flood the market). Also there was a growth in job listings here (where as there was a decrease in most other places). We could have some great new parks on unbuildable land. Think of other cities that where destroyed and rebuilt like London and Berlin post WW2 and Napier and central Wellington. I might be over optimistic because my lecky is back though .

The faster we can work the more people will stay, earthquakes or not, there is an equilibrium and if there is work people will come. Build it and they will come, after all if people will live in the UAE deserts or permafrost of Alberta why not the more hospitable Christchurch?
I think the uncertainty is going to be the problem Charis. At least with Alberta you know when the winter comes, it's a predictable event. Anyway I hope you are right but I certainly don't judge people for leaving.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwigirlinalain - it is nice to see you back on here giving an update. You have been through so much, I can't even imagine. Sounds like you are an amazing support for your family

Chippy64 - you too are amazing, being stuck over here whilst your hubby and son are in Chch, crikey it must be so stressful. Your son sounds amazing, I totally forget about all the really vulnerable people like the elderly or disabled that have to depend on other people.

I really hope this ends soon for all the people of Chch...enough already mother nature!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: Earthquake ! Log your rumbles here.

Always so bloody early in the morning, it's Friday FFS. Annoying hateful aftershock things depriving me of sleep, I feel like giving 'mother nature' a punch in the face .

Can’t understand people getting so emotional about how hard it all is, especially people who still have electricity and water, but the sleep I can sympathize with.

<Grump, grump, grump >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.