British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Earthquake fault line wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/earthquake-fault-line-wellington-925051/)

Andygall85 May 18th 2019 6:39 am

Earthquake fault line wellington

After doing research I understand wellington is in the ring of fire etc etc etc . Is their any locals here who can advise were the safest areas are to live if I was to relocate to wellington. For example is theirs specific area were fault line runs through and is tended to be avoided ? Hope this makes sense . Kapita coast to me looks the safer area to live . Or on the other hand are we just worrying over nothing lol

BEVS May 18th 2019 6:59 am

Re: Earthquake fault line wellington

Originally Posted by Andygall85 (Post 12685300)
After doing research I understand wellington is in the ring of fire etc etc etc . Is their any locals here who can advise were the safest areas are to live if I was to relocate to wellington. For example is theirs specific area were fault line runs through and is tended to be avoided ? Hope this makes sense . Kapita coast to me looks the safer area to live . Or on the other hand are we just worrying over nothing lol

I think you have head boil bloaty chops at the moment. Take a breath or a pint.

All of New Zealand is on the ring of fire . Christchurch & Kaikoura quakes are examples of this. These were thought of as 'safe' areas. They were and are not.

If and when there is a large quake , it will be felt in many places. Damage will happen in many places. The knock on effect will be felt nationally.

Chill pill. It is New Zealand ---- even though I really loathe them .

BEVS May 18th 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Andygall85 (Post 12685314)
Actually your wrong and I think you need to do your homework on the east coast of new Zealand including the ring of fire . Again please don't comment on my posts

Oh well. I'll leave that with you .

Perhaps rethink this given the dreadful quakes the SI has endured.

All the best.

Pollyana May 18th 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12685325)
Oh well. I'll leave that with you .

Perhaps rethink this given the dreadful quakes the SI has endured

All the best.

Disaster management being an international topic, our department monitors events on NZ as well as in our base country of Australia. BEVS you might like to know that as far as we are concerned this is the area currently considered as the "Ring of Fire, and we closely monitor all NZ quakes.

Andygall85 if you \have info to suggest the definition has changed, I really would appreciate the source as its important to our work.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...2cb58f1339.png

Charismatic May 20th 2019 6:30 am

Safest places in Wellington? The parts that aren't on a steep slopes, more than 20 meters above sea level (Mr. Tsunami is neither your friend nor mine!), aren't subject to a liquefaction risk, where built subsequent to the latest earthquake standards being introduced and aren’t reliant on roads that are likely to be cut off.

So – pretty much none of Wellington actually. It’s in a terrible place for a city. Why did we do that?

Justcol May 20th 2019 10:30 am

God knows why I'm even bothering to help you but this may help you choose somewhere seeing as you don't want to listen to anything the rest of us have to say

www.geonet.org.nz

A4Ron May 21st 2019 2:11 am

Basically the whole of NZ is in the RoF, then.

BEVS May 21st 2019 2:48 am

Originally Posted by A4Ron (Post 12686630)
Basically the whole of NZ is in the RoF, then.

Yes.

New Zealand is absolutely riddled with fault lines. Some active. Some not. Some that were unknown but then quaked.

Pulaski May 21st 2019 3:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12686639)
…. New Zealand is absolutely riddled with fault lines. Some active. Some not. Some that were unknown but then quaked.

Andygall appears to be unaware that a quake resulting from movement in a fault can extend for miles, potentially many miles, on either side of the fault, in other words you don't have to be living directly over the fault to feel the quake or be impacted by a severe quake.

I don't live in NZ but a few years ago my office was shaken by an earthquake that had an epicentre well over 200 miles away!

Ex Bristol May 21st 2019 4:04 am

I've been in auckland many years. The only earthquake I have been in was a 7.2 in Perth.

BEVS May 21st 2019 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12686643)
Andygall appears to be unaware that a quake resulting from movement in a fault can extend for miles, potentially many miles, on either side of the fault, in other words you don't have to be living directly over the fault to feel the quake or be impacted by a severe quake.

I don't live in NZ but a few years ago my office was shaken by an earthquake that had an epicentre well over 200 miles away!

True enough. We have felt many now including the dreadful Kaikoura and Christchurch quakes. The Kaikoura quake likely moved a concrete slab here out of its original position which in turn moved the outside steps up to our back deck. I;ve seen my internal stariwell wobble like a jelly. I've sat outside in the dark watching the concrete water tank sway to the extent the water spilled out.

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol (Post 12686652)
I've been in auckland many years. The only earthquake I have been in was a 7.2 in Perth.

Count the blessings. They are dreadful things . Especially at night in the dark.