Earthquake Alert

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:53 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake Alert

One thing I have learned is how dangerous chimneys are!

Sounds scary over there. I hope thing settle soon.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:20 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Woohoo, we are not drinking sewage - water restrictions lifted!!!

http://ecan.govt.nz/pages/home.aspx

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/thecouncil/ne...010090889.aspx

happy days as did load of washing earlier and have felt guilty (and slightly revolted if it was contaminated) ever since...but needn't have worried

Still nervous to shower as would be just my luck the walls came down...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

the Lyttleton shock this morning was an aftershock (not a new quake) at the other end of the fault line - all previous aftershocks were at the Darfield end.

I work with some of the best quake and geology experts in NZ at the Uni
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
the Lyttleton shock this morning was an aftershock (not a new quake) at the other end of the fault line - all previous aftershocks were at the Darfield end.

I work with some of the best quake and geology experts in NZ at the Uni
That's gotta be you Jan..... not that Neil bloke you set up home with.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's gotta be you Jan.....
erm yes

We both have pretty heavy duty jobs in the thick of it at this time - he works at the port.....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a bit of a derogatory tone there Bev
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi all, hope you're in one piece. Thanks Bevs for the message - we are touched

We came through OK, but the house lost the chimney which fell onto our roof - narrowly missing our bedroom where Ton and I were lying in bed sh*tting ourselves. It's put a hole in the roof but didn't fall through. We've some cracked glass, and some cracks in the walls, but have come off much lighter than many.

Frickin' aftershocks won't give up though, and have us - like many others - on edge the whole time and not keen to go to bed.

Harry is doing great - been so busy have not had a chance to update the blog but will do so in the next few days.

We hope all out Canty BEP friends have come through OK, and are here to offer a helping hand or a bed if you need it - just yell.

Cheers

Us
Very good to hear. Don't know much about any of you NZers but I am a follower of the blog and your names were at the front of my mind when I first heard about the earthquakes. Very pleased you're all fine and the bub is doing well.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big one this morning

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I can only imagine the psycological toll this must now be taking on everyone in the region? The sleep deprivation alone would be an immense strain, but the constant aftershocks of quite significant size and the not knowing if there's another one round the corner must be absolutely awful. I know we all keep saying it, but honestly my thoughts are with you, big hugs to you all.
Thanks AL
Glad everyone else round here is ok and no one hurt.
Must admit I'm tired all the time, working long days and not sleeping well. I meet plenty of people through work and this seems to be a common theme-just sleep deprived and 'over it'. Mr S has been working 12 hour days helping organise the clear up and he's barely conscious when we finally manage to meet up
I feel like I slept well last night but I think that I'm not sleeping as deeply as I normally would and wonder whether the aftershocks do actually disturb my sleep though I can't recall waking up. There have been some big ones that have woken me up every night. Just want to stop feeling 'on edge' and be able to relax
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:13 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks AL
Must admit I'm tired all the time, working long days and not sleeping well. I meet plenty of people through work and this seems to be a common theme-just sleep deprived and 'over it'. Mr S has been working 12 hour days helping organise the clear up and he's barely conscious when we finally manage to meet up
I feel like I slept well last night but I think that I'm not sleeping as deeply as I normally would and wonder whether the aftershocks do actually disturb my sleep though I can't recall waking up. There have been some big ones that have woken me up every night. Just want to stop feeling 'on edge' and be able to relax
So glad you're all OK and no one seriously hurt, though I can only imagine how this is affecting you all psychologically....the sleep deprivation alone is bound to make every day difficult.
Hope life settles back to normality for you all asap & you all continue to stay safe.
Take care B x
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks AL
Are you going to be able to get to Jan & Neil's BBQ? I just think sharing and coming together would help you guys down there a little?

Mind you I woke up last night absolutely convinced I could hear the tsunami sirens going off, could not get back to sleep ...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Been following things on the news and via friends in the area, and just want to echo the positive vibes (not tremors) for all those affected.

Really hope things just calm down soon so everyone can start to get some sense of normality back.

It certainly is a bit of a wake-up call. Going to sort out an emergency kit asap - BoP isn't immune from these things either.

Enjoy the BBQ for those in ChCh.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

We all slept well last night & haven't felt any after shocks since early evenng, I justhope it's the same for everyone else we all have some sleep to catch up on Tray
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:07 pm
`

Originally Posted by Tray
Thats a bit of a derogatory tone there Bev
Eh ? Not meant that way at all.

Jan and Neil share one username and log-in., although they could have one each if they wished.
Jan works at the Uni .
Uni = Professors , seismologists, geologists = experts.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:18 pm
`

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi all.........
Ah ! There you both are.

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know that you are all as OK as you can be under the circumstances.

We came through OK, but the house lost the chimney which fell onto our roof - narrowly missing our bedroom where Ton and I were lying in bed sh*tting ourselves. It's put a hole in the roof but didn't fall through. We've some cracked glass, and some cracks in the walls, but have come off much lighter than many.
Flippin' narrow escape by the sounds of it. Thank heavens you are all unhurt. As jmh noted, chimneys are dangerous .
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bev,
Thats great yes i know that Jan & Neil share an e-mail address, they always give whos replied away by signing their name at the end!!!!! I've also met both Jan & Neil , very nice people too and i'm also aware of what they both do for a livingTray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.