Earthquake Alert

Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake Alert

Originally Posted by Yotty
Quite a difference in effect from the CHC quake and this one at BAM which was only a 6.0! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Bam_earthquake just shows what good building control does!
Maybe but let's put things in perspective, some of those buildings in BAM were 2000 years old. You'd struggle to find many places in NZ standing that are over 200 year old!
The oldest Wooden Building and Stone Buildings, both KeriKeri (Kemp House and Stone Store) are less than 200 year old.

Certainly though, agreed much of the mud brick style buildings in Bam were the reason for high casualties.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:07 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a few posts from BE members here in the Garden City and have heard from a few others (TeamEmbo and TBrown) but has anyone heard how WiznTon are and the baby?

If anyone is in touch, please send my regards and I hope they're all holding up OK

Thanks

P.S Aftershocks are particularly bad tonight
Old Sep 6th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

i'm dissapointed by the international reaction to this event
Thankfully no one died

BUT
The UK should offer some financial aid and maybe some experts in relevant fields such as construction

The Queen is still head of state, maybe she say something about it

I've read the Aussies are helping

But no one else cares

The UK gives millions to Pakistan knowing that 99% of the money will go to someones back pocket

In NZ 99% of it will be used to help people who need it

Even if NZ dont want the help, to offer it would be nice

Shame on you Cameron/Clegg (cant remember if Dave's back from paternity leave)
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
NZ doesn't need aid. Thankfully it is well placed to manage this catastrophe.
You think? For those who think differently there is an official Canterbury Earthquake appeal , GrabOne and the Salvation Army are involved
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
i'm dissapointed by the international reaction to this event
Thankfully no one died

BUT
The UK should offer some financial aid and maybe some experts in relevant fields such as construction

The Queen is still head of state, maybe she say something about it

I've read the Aussies are helping

But no one else cares

The UK gives millions to Pakistan knowing that 99% of the money will go to someones back pocket

In NZ 99% of it will be used to help people who need it

Even if NZ dont want the help, to offer it would be nice

Shame on you Cameron/Clegg (cant remember if Dave's back from paternity leave)
Are buildings in the UK built to withstand earthquakes?

This whole event is a good reminder to get organised. We have no earthquake kit and Van is on a faultline too. I'm glad everyone is safe *crosses fingers*

I don't think it's fair to say no one cares. There's been plenty of news about it in North America, but, the fact that lots of people haven't died and NZ is relatively well organised means that the perception is it doesn't need help like, say, Haiti did. I also don't think NZ asked for it? In Haiti and Pakistan they were pleading for international help.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Sep 6th 2010 at 7:08 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Are buildings in the UK built to withstand earthquakes?

This whole event is a good reminder to get organised. We have no earthquake kit and Van is on a faultline too. I'm glad everyone is safe *crosses fingers*

I don't think it's fair to say no one cares. There's been plenty of news about it in North America, but, the fact that lots of people haven't died and NZ is relatively well organised means that the perception is it doesn't need help like, say, Haiti did. I also don't think NZ asked for it? In Haiti and Pakistan they were pleading for international help.
Its a whole different ball game in the way you construct houses here than in the UK. OH would be able to explain as he is a builder but if you are in a new house or one constructed to earthquake standards you should be OK. We have a new one and we have no damage at all thank goodness. It did what it was designed to do which was move with the quake, like a rocking from side to side. I don't think it matters that no one died - they would not be the ones that needed the help if they had would they (and I don't mean that callously!), it is those who have their homes wrecked and unliveable that need help and businesses etc. Little children who are scarred to go to bed, every time you hear a rumble of wind or a truck coming down the road, you assume it is another aftershock! Everyone needs help in some way or other be it help with digging out and tidying up or psychological help to process the whole situation. Haiti and Pakistan don't have resources or money to be able to build earthquake proof homes anyway. That is why they needed more help and are still living in temporary shelters. I am sure we will all come out stronger those of us who have lived through this terrible event. I for one will never take mother nature for granted again! But the Queen could have said something!!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Amazing isn’t it? Apparently the earthquake in Haiti was about the same intensity. Now where is our international aid? We are in desperate need of Italian furniture, German cars and French fashion. Please send all you can to us!
The US offered help almost immediately but were told by NZ that none was needed.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
The US offered help almost immediately but were told by NZ that none was needed.
....which is what happens in many events like this. The majority of "western" countries offer help fairly quickly in any major disaster, but if that help is refused there isn't much they can do. Sometimes too it takes time for the affected country to assess what help is actually needed. If people had been trapped for instance then they may well have asked for urban search teams and dogs from Australia, the UK, the US etc, but that kind of help wasn't needed. As the whole picture becomes clearer, so the NZ Governement may still ask for assistance in some areas - there is a lot of assessing to do first.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:06 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to hear that John Key has just just decided to cancel his trip to Europe, which he said he was going to do if the situation didn't improve.

"the Prime Minister says he intends to leave on Friday night and hopes recovery plans are in place by then. He says he will postpone if they are not."

I think he needs to stay put and it was a wise choice, he's very much needed right now because people aren't out of the woods yet.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Earthquake Alert

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
he's very much needed right now because people aren't out of the woods yet.
+ We don't want this to be the New Orleans of New Zealand where repairs and re-building drag on for years.

If you've not had a look around New Orleans have a look tonight with google earth. It's very sad to see every other lot still vacant and overgrown . I wonder if you could snap a few up cheap for later?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
+ We don't want this to be the New Orleans of New Zealand where repairs and re-building drag on for years.

If you've not had a look around New Orleans have a look tonight with google earth. It's very sad to see every other lot still vacant and overgrown . I wonder if you could snap a few up cheap for later?
I think they will need to really seriously think about the re-building with the world cup next year - we need to send the message by then that Christchurch is back in business and has plenty of accommodation to go round! "Recession, what recession Christchurch has plenty of work" should be the saying of the day lol!!

Already lots of companies have secured contracts for helping out with building etc. I don't think Christchurch will rest on their laurels on this one and won't be the next New Orleans!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:57 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope for everyone's sake you're right Shirl

" Three out of five homes in earthquake-hit Canterbury will need repairs.

However, some homeowners could wait more than a year for the money they need to rebuild.

Key said about 100,000 of the 160,000 homes in the Selwyn, Christchurch and Waimakariri areas were damaged.

Already, 431 homes have been identified as likely to be demolished, with that number expected to grow.

"In other countries that have suffered these kinds of events, they've often run in to years in terms of having to process the situation," Key said. "I think we can work quickly. The faster we can get consents, the faster we can get people's homes fixed, and [people] back in to work."

Commission insurance manager Lance Dixon said it may take a year for some claims to be settled.

There was a limited number of people available to inspect properties and there would be a "bottleneck".

"We will try and make the claims' process as short as possible, but the reality is we will probably receive over 100,000 claims, so it is going to take a long time to settle this event," Dixon said. "I would imagine that it would be over 12 months."

Up to 200 state houses were likely to need re-roofing and some would have to be demolished.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...o-come-say-GNS
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Earthquake Alert

Yes, because we all know the building trade will be flat out in the middle of a housing crash? Hire more people and stop being so tight FFS.

Of course it’s their aim to pay claims as slowly as possible but I really feel that anyone who has to wait 12 months just to have their house inspected to get their claim approved would be understandably livid .
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
You think? For those who think differently there is an official Canterbury Earthquake appeal , GrabOne and the Salvation Army are involved
I do think. And I do know...the earthquake commission fund is sitting on
$15bn
The emergency works fund can be used for infrastructure ($94million pledge)
The mayoral fund will help the uninsured ($5m pledged from Govt on top of the existing $6m)
And the donations that NZers pledge will help with the emergency stuff too
OF course there is an appeal to mobilise cash and provisions but that does not mean that the country requires aid

We so are lucky to live in a country that plans for emergency and ring fences money for that reason
There's no point taking aid when it's not needed. There may come a time when it is
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:00 am
Banned

Let's hope that ring fence isn't too tight, the money still has to be put aside for a big Wellington quake

There's a lot of problems brewing with people that haven't got paid since the quake so the government has announced a package to help small businesses with less than 20 employees, but when you look at the small print there are caveats:

The subsidy will be paid for up to four weeks initially and businesses can re-apply after four weeks if they are still unable to operate.

The main parts of the package are:
• $350 per week gross wage subsidy
• Advance lump sum paid to employer
• Employer can 'top up' subsidy
• Backdated to date of earthquake
• Firms holding insurance cover for loss of earnings will be expected to use this before accessing the wage subsidy.

That last one will be the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.