Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Earthquake....again!

Earthquake....again!

Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:59 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Earthquake....again!

Latest from Stuff says that they're now classifying the first jolt as a 6.6:

"LATEST: Marlborough bore the brunt of a rattling 6.6 quake that also caused havoc on Wellington roads and was felt throughout much of New Zealand today.

There were no reported deaths or major injuries suffered in the quake that hit at 2.31pm or the aftershocks that followed - seven of them measuring more than magnitude 5, before a 6.0 rippled about three hours after the 6.6. "

I have to admit I felt that first one more than any other in the last 7+ years - the house swayed and wobbled, reminding me more of being in a small boat at sea than anything else.

The cats, cattle, sheep and horses were all chilled about it, so I didn't worry too much - just enjoyed the ride, sort of.

VERY glad that I was working from home today - no trains out of Wellington and no bus replacements. Hotels must be doing a roaring trade from all those stuck there for the night!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:29 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Ok, it's enough now. Again, much of this is conjecture. One of your links sights climate change as a cause for goodness sake. I am surprised you have not referenced the Moon Man.

I am writing this as aftershocks shake my house, so I am very aware that we are all at risk at any moment.

Any further posts in this vein will not be tolerated.
Thanks you sort of put my mind at rest, I'm feeling a bit nervy at the moment, with things that have been going on in my life
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:02 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Infrastructure information as of now.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10913458
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by love30stm
Thanks you sort of put my mind at rest, I'm feeling a bit nervy at the moment, with things that have been going on in my life
I'm going to do the blunt thing here. (I know. A bit rare)

So what. You don't care about anyone but you. You've proved that more than once. So, really. Sorry if something hasn't been right for you but hey, you've had help, care and support and more help, care and support from everyone here , more than once- hours and days of it - but shown scant regard for others on the sharp end. Not only that. You dumped on them too. So , as far as I am personally concerned - and to be clear - I am over it. It is not all about you, all of the time.

Returning to the real issue...

Rotten stinky shake a bit ago and that is just here. Let's hope that the worst of the shakes are over for everyone and that families get some good sleep tonight. Especially those with kids
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Hope you folks up there are doing ok, the 6.6 swayed the CCC office down here for a good 30 seconds or so and we felt the next 3 strong aftershocks. Thoughts are with you guys, kia kaha.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:20 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
kia kaha.
Shame, I thought that meaningless sentiment had been dropped.

Yeah, I know it's maori for, 'be strong' but I found it quite infuriating(and frankly, patronising) when I lived in Christchurch in March 2011.

The fact that six volumes of the books of remembrance have been lost/stolen just about says it all. Wonder if they're the books that my husband and I contributed to. When they were outside the Countdown in New Brighton.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 9:45 am
`

I'm a bit shocked. I didn't know that SnapShot and perhaps I should have. That is a bit awful TBH.

After today, all I wish is that the land would all settle down and stop with the quaking and the shaking for everyone.

I know we all choose to live on the shaky Pacific Rim but it is scary and tough all the same when this happens isn't it , and it has happened a bit too much the past few years really. For ourselves. Our families . Our friends and above all, those of us with our future, our children.

Hey though. People all over the world get through far worse. Animals live worse.

We'll manage and be fine.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Earthquake....again!

I like this thread. Good to see you all exhibiting the resilience and fortitude that I've always seen as the great strength of the British .

Must: Carry on.
Mustn't: Grumble.

Although I'll grant you the situation may call for something a little...sturdier than a cup of tea.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:19 am
`

I've been waiting for you Charismatic.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys - thinking of you all. Not a pleasant thing to go through. We also all slept (well, more lying down than sleeping) in the lounge for the first couple of nights after.
Take care.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
After today, all I wish is that the land would all settle down and stop with the quaking and the shaking for everyone.
that it does and hope everyone has managed to get home safe and well.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Shame, I thought that meaningless sentiment had been dropped.

Yeah, I know it's maori for, 'be strong' but I found it quite infuriating(and frankly, patronising) when I lived in Christchurch in March 2011.

The fact that six volumes of the books of remembrance have been lost/stolen just about says it all. Wonder if they're the books that my husband and I contributed to. When they were outside the Countdown in New Brighton.
Seriously? I'll say what I like to encourage others, and you're most welcome to not reply to it.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I've been waiting for you Charismatic.
Tardy yet equally omnipresent Miss BEVS.

So, what did I miss? Has anyone superglued their picture frames to the walls yet or ended up drinking vodka from a Mr. Tippy (Mr. Tipsy?) cup?

Luckily Tammy Wells informs me Briscoes have a SALE on at the moment so I expect the worst of the '13 earthquakes isn't over for men who will now face bewildering questions about their preference between competing yet near identical sets of crockery .
Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
I'm going to do the blunt thing here. (I know. A bit rare)

So what. You don't care about anyone but you. You've proved that more than once. So, really. Sorry if something hasn't been right for you but hey, you've had help, care and support and more help, care and support from everyone here , more than once- hours and days of it - but shown scant regard for others on the sharp end. Not only that. You dumped on them too. So , as far as I am personally concerned - and to be clear - I am over it. It is not all about you, all of the time.
Who the hell do you think you are talking too??? I care about my family here in New Zealand and my friends in 'the real world' not through a Internet chat forum with people I've never actually met but have clearly already made a opinion.

And your a moderator... Oh my god, now I know why I left BE, I was much happier not being here. Blimey
Old Aug 16th 2013, 11:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.