Earthquake!!!!

Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Earthquake!!!!

Been here nearly 4 months and just experienced my first earthquake - wasn't sure that was what it was tho'! First thought that someone was trying to get in the front door as it rattled, one more little bump then that was that! No noise, no nothing.....! Disappointed, me??
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Earthquake!!!!

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Been here nearly 4 months and just experienced my first earthquake - wasn't sure that was what it was tho'! First thought that someone was trying to get in the front door as it rattled, one more little bump then that was that! No noise, no nothing.....! Disappointed, me??
Living on the west coast of canada, we get tremours from time to time. The first time it happened I wasnt sure if it was a heavy truck passing by the house. It wasnt until we heard the news that we discovered it had been a slight earthquake. Still its a strange sensation to be lying in bed and feel the bed start to shake. Last week we had several tremours in our area, and a warning that "the major quake" was going to happen this week. Fortunately the warning has been cancelled.

However living over a major fault line a major quake is possible at any time.

Last edited by willmore; Feb 7th 2007 at 12:37 am.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We missed it - visiting in Paraparamua - not sure whether to be disappointed or not!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I was having my lunch at work. It was quite strong - 4.8. Only 30kms from Porirua.

Work mates didn't bat much of an eyelid.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

I was expecting something more dramatic I suppose! Just wanted an excuse to eat the chocolate in the emergency box really!!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
I was expecting something more dramatic I suppose! Just wanted an excuse to eat the chocolate in the emergency box really!!!
Have you go your emergency box sorted already.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, we've got several gallons of water, tinned food (and chocolate!!), a torch and a few old blankets piled up in the garage!! Haven't sorted out the bucket and the roll of plastic bags yet!! Mind you, if the big one did hit, the garage would probably collapse on top of it all anyway!!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:19 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

http://www.geonet.org.nz/latest.html

and if you can't be bothered to click the link above, here are the details:

Reference Number: 2692934/G
Universal Time: February 07 2007 at 0:44
NZ Daylight Time: Wednesday, February 07 2007 at 1:44 pm
Latitude, Longitude: 41.04°S, 174.49°E
Focal Depth: 50 km
Richter magnitude: 4.8
Region: Marlborough

30 km west of Porirua, 40 km north-west of Wellington

Felt in the Wellington region. Especially in Thorndon Quay, where I work. Modern office block, so building just swayed smoothly. Lasted about 10-15 seconds. Everyone in office just kept working. No diving under tables! [ROAR]