British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Earning Airpoints in New Zealand to travel back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/earning-airpoints-new-zealand-travel-back-uk-875281/)

Stoodley Apr 2nd 2016 11:02 pm

Earning Airpoints in New Zealand to travel back to the UK

Hey All,

I wanted to see if anyone might currently do this and how they go about using Air Points to assist / cover their flight back to the UK.

I am very new to the whole Air Points system, i have lived in New Zealand for 6 years, i understand Fly Buys etc but looking for a more concrete method of preparing for a flight to the UK every 2 years or so.

I know that you can earn Air points with Air New Zealand Credit Cards - Low Fee | Standard | Platinum, also claiming points through Fly Buys, ANZ Airpoint Credit cards and probably a handful of other Credit Card/Banks etc out there.

I would like some help to work out the best way to earn Air points to assist with buying a flight every 2 years to go back to London.

Thank you all.

nikkijane88 Apr 3rd 2016 12:38 am

Re: Earning Airpoints in New Zealand to travel back to the UK

Westpac now have an airpoints debit card.

I collect airpoints with my credit card and the card that came with my membership which converts fly buys into airpoints. Slow process but it all depends on how much you spend, and some cards you can collect airpoints quicker

cappuccino Apr 3rd 2016 1:15 am

The Air NZ programme is one of the stingiest in the world!

To have any real benefit you need to attain a higher level e.g silver or gold once you have enough status points (combination of flights and credit card/other spend). This then gives you benefits including recognition upgrades.

Alternatively, or until you attain status or if you have used your recognition upgrades, use the airpoint dollars towards the 'one up' upgrade bidding system.

You can only pay for flights with airpoints dollars if you have enough. They don't do cash & airpoints dollars combo.

Have a look at the AirNZ Airpoints info online for a proper explanation and to show the earn value of your flights.

If you want lounge access and luggage benefits without status, join the Koru Club programme.

Bo-Jangles Apr 3rd 2016 3:29 am

Flybuys is also such a waste of time too because they expire before you even have a chance to get anything worthwhile, I have all of 236 points saved over the past two years since I last spent them on a Jamie Oliver cookbook. Just checked what I can get and had one of those involuntary wooohoo dance around the room like a loon moments; I'm torn between either some Swandri sleep pants, a Star Wars Play tent, some shampoo, a six pack of Monteith beers or three bottles of Cider. :rofl:

A one way flight from Auckland to Wellington for one person is 653 points - so unless you drive a truck and fill up at Z every other day and do all your shopping at New World it's not likely to ever happen. :rofl:

A Rush And A Push Apr 3rd 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11912162)
Flybuys is also such a waste of time too because they expire before you even have a chance to get anything worthwhile, I have all of 236 points saved over the past two years since I last spent them on a Jamie Oliver cookbook. Just checked what I can get and had one of those involuntary wooohoo dance around the room like a loon moments; I'm torn between either some Swandri sleep pants, a Star Wars Play tent, some shampoo, a six pack of Monteith beers or three bottles of Cider. :rofl:

A one way flight from Auckland to Wellington for one person is 653 points - so unless you drive a truck and fill up at Z every other day and do all your shopping at New World it's not likely to ever happen. :rofl:

I've just found out for 120 Fly Buys points you can get a $20 New World voucher. So I do that and put it towards a food shop, rather than trying to save up a gazillion points for some shite Zumba DVD or whatever :)

Venezuelan007 Apr 3rd 2016 5:15 am

I was looking into that the other day...

Doesnt look at all appealing. Spending 1000$ would give u 13A$ if you have a platinum card, which costs you 150$ yearly at least.
To break even you have to spend 12000$ a year on the card...

CheeseBoard Apr 3rd 2016 7:38 am

Not worth it unless you spend a lot on credit cards as Venezuelan007 said you only break even at $12000. They are however great if you have a business, we put everything through the credit card and wrack up points very quickly.

janiejones Apr 3rd 2016 7:51 am

I collect a lot of points, but I won't use them for overseas flights, because of travel insurance. When I've read the small print on insurance, they don't give refunds if you paid for the flight with points. So I use them internally and for bidding up.

Mine don't expire, because they're attached to the credit card.

You might be better focussing on getting the cheapest flights possible.

BEVS Apr 3rd 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push (Post 11912170)
I've just found out for 120 Fly Buys points you can get a $20 New World voucher. So I do that and put it towards a food shop

Good tip.

I agree with what has been written. It isn't like the old airmiles scheme back in the UK & one is unlikely ever to ordinarily earn enough points to actually go anywhere.