Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Early Childhood dilema - please help

Early Childhood dilema - please help

Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Damienf is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Early Childhood dilema - please help

Hi a good friend is trying to get a kindy Job here in NZ and applied via NZQA to get her qualifications examined, she got them back and while the degree was up to scratch and met NZ standards (level 7) she missed out due to practicum not being enough to meet NZ standards.

Is her only option to do a graduate diploma for a year here, paying international fee's? As she is on a guardian visa she has been adviced to go to nztertiarycollege which is 23K for a ece graduate diploma distance learning... wow that is expencive for a ebook and free labour

Can this practicum be made up without having to go to collage for a year?

Any advice and help would be much appricated

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 13th 2010 at 10:47 am. Reason: remove link to allow post to stand
Old Oct 30th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Early Childhood dilema - please help

How did they decide that her practicum was not enough? Is the minimum required different in the UK to NZ?

As for advice, guess you would be better off speaking with someone in NZ....
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
How did they decide that her practicum was not enough? Is the minimum required different in the UK to NZ?

As for advice, guess you would be better off speaking with someone in NZ....
As far as i know NZ do not recognise any of our (UK) early years quals. There is talk of it changing. Is it an option for her to take a job lower on scale and study through employer? But I agree with above you need to sort it with Min of Ed in Wellington for definitive answer. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

I do know of people (myself too hopefully!!) who have had their Early Years honours degree converted to a level 7, which is what is needed for PR....

Of course, this just gets you PR.....as the above post suggests, you may still only get low paid jobs..depends what you want to get out of life

Lydia
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Hi,
I am sorry I do not have any advice for this question but do have another question or two regarding early childhood qual's.
My daughter is doing the level 3 CACHE. She may decide to come over to Nz eventually but would her qual' be enough to get a job in early years ? What would be the equivalent job level be in Nz for this level of qualification ? Is an EY educator in Nz equivalent of a teacher in Nz ?
I look forward to any replies
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Have a look on the NZQA website for possible conversions......the level 3 won't get PR but it depends on the conversion level as to what level of job she may be offered.

I'm part way through BA Hons Early Years (equiv level 7 NZ) which will get me PR (hopefully!!) but am willing to take ANY early years job when offered!

ALso, there are several agencies (Ranstadt etc) who take relief staff onto their books.

In NZ I think that the Early Years Educators are UK's Early Years Prctitioners; the NZ Pre-primary Teachers are UK's hons. degree qualified practitioners. This is my interpretation....

hth

Lydia
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabel1
Hi,
I am sorry I do not have any advice for this question but do have another question or two regarding early childhood qual's.
My daughter is doing the level 3 CACHE. She may decide to come over to Nz eventually but would her qual' be enough to get a job in early years ? What would be the equivalent job level be in Nz for this level of qualification ? Is an EY educator in Nz equivalent of a teacher in Nz ?
I look forward to any replies
In short, no Sorry! I have that qualification and am registered to work in the UK, but it's not recognised and accepted here in NZ. I had to go back to the start and retrain! I'm currently about to finish my 2nd year of my teaching degree. You do not have to be qualified to work in a private kindergarten or a daycare centre, but you will not receive a fantastic wage. In public kindergartens you do have to be fully qualified, and hold either a provisional or full teacher registration. This takes 2 years to complete.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes

In NZ I think that the Early Years Educators are UK's Early Years Prctitioners; the NZ Pre-primary Teachers are UK's hons. degree qualified practitioners. This is my interpretation....

hth

Lydia
In NZ, Early Years means birth to 8yrs. This is the degree I am doing and I will be trained and qualified to work in both Early Childhood (birth through 5) and Primary levels New Entrants, 1, 2, and 3.

I find it baffling as to why our UK quals don't match considering the NZ Diploma of Early Childhood Education is really very basic! It's A-level stuff if I'm honest... I tried that out first before transferring to a degree course after a semester.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Do you mean she didn't meet the time requirement they state for PR? For example, to gain points, she would have also needed x amount of years experience in the field immediately before applying?

Originally Posted by Damienf
Hi a good friend is trying to get a kindy Job here in NZ and applied via NZQA to get her qualifications examined, she got them back and while the degree was up to scratch and met NZ standards (level 7) she missed out due to practicum not being enough to meet NZ standards.

Is her only option to do a graduate diploma for a year here, paying international fee's? As she is on a guardian visa she has been adviced to go to nztertiarycollege which is 23K for a ece graduate diploma distance learning... wow that is expencive for a ebook and free labour

Can this practicum be made up without having to go to collage for a year?

Any advice and help would be much appricated
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Any update on this situation??

Lydia