E mail access

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default E mail access

Hi,
I only know enough about pc's and the internet to get me around. While in the UK I have broadband (BT Yahoo). I can't seem to get a straight reply from them, when you go abroad or cease your account do you still keep your original e mail address. They are quick to take my pennies now, and just tell me that when I stop the account I will need to subscribe to something smaller ??? I don't understand! When my pc is stored and shipped I'll need to access e mails (re the move to NZ). Any suggestions please.

Boopy
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:53 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: E mail access

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi,
I only know enough about pc's and the internet to get me around. While in the UK I have broadband (BT Yahoo). I can't seem to get a straight reply from them, when you go abroad or cease your account do you still keep your original e mail address. They are quick to take my pennies now, and just tell me that when I stop the account I will need to subscribe to something smaller ??? I don't understand! When my pc is stored and shipped I'll need to access e mails (re the move to NZ). Any suggestions please.

Boopy
if your email address ends in yahoo.co.uk or yahoo.com or yahoo.anything for that matter, you should be able to access it via mail.yahoo.com from anywhere in the world. if not, its probably sayonara...

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean, I'll have no access to e mails until I get to NZ and set up another account there. What do people do when they go on holiday abroad and keep in touch by e mail.

Boopy

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
if your email address ends in yahoo.co.uk or yahoo.com or yahoo.anything for that matter, you should be able to access it via mail.yahoo.com from anywhere in the world. if not, its probably sayonara...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Boopy,

The comment about Yahoo being your only option isn't quite correct, in fact I'd recommend avoiding Yahoo like the plague

The best way to get free mail which you can access from anywhere in the world at anytime is to sign up for an account with hotmail or gmail both of which are free.

Alternatively you could invest £9 now and buy yourself a NZ domain name (www.boopy.co.nz is available ) , start using it now, and set it up to forward to your BT account. I've used www.1stdomains.co.nz, but if you're not too computer literate feel free to PM me for more help.

Laurence
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Boopy
Most set up a free hotmail/ yahoo/ gmail account that can be accessed from any pc. if your email ends in yahoo.*** at the moment you should be fine. If your scared bout losing the address, just set up a free email address in the meanwhile and use that for all the moving stuff. You can use it as a temporary address until you get settled in with a ISP in NZ.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Boopy
Hi Boopy
our UK internet was btinternet (same thing as yahoo in effect) - we were told that if we cancelled our broadband we would lose the email address so to save changing and then changing again we're maintaining the btinternet broadband account for 2 months (we pay be direct debit so wasn't dependent on a phone account, and we've kept the UK bank accounts) and then we'll cancel. This keeps the email address which we can access on any computer with internet access via www.yahoo.com (and then sign in for mail with username and password) and means that we can get the nz broadband and email up and running and known to everyone.
Vicki
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:04 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Boopy
our UK internet was btinternet (same thing as yahoo in effect) - we were told that if we cancelled our broadband we would lose the email address so to save changing and then changing again we're maintaining the btinternet broadband account for 2 months (we pay be direct debit so wasn't dependent on a phone account, and we've kept the UK bank accounts) and then we'll cancel. This keeps the email address which we can access on any computer with internet access via www.yahoo.com (and then sign in for mail with username and password) and means that we can get the nz broadband and email up and running and known to everyone.
Vicki
I cancelled my Wanadoo broadband approx 3 months ago but still have the email associated with it - so I now have 3 addresses that are active - wanadoo, hotmail and new Xtra NZ one and they all work fine on any computer.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by ledge
Boopy,

The comment about Yahoo being your only option isn't quite correct, in fact I'd recommend avoiding Yahoo like the plague

The best way to get free mail which you can access from anywhere in the world at anytime is to sign up for an account with hotmail or gmail both of which are free.

Alternatively you could invest £9 now and buy yourself a NZ domain name (www.boopy.co.nz is available ) , start using it now, and set it up to forward to your BT account. I've used www.1stdomains.co.nz, but if you're not too computer literate feel free to PM me for more help.

Laurence

the op wanted to keep the original email address so you it was correct actually.